Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SG:A - 2x06 - 'Trinity' [Spoilers]

• 20-08-2005 5:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭

2nd times the charm.

What did you think of this episode? 14 votes

It was like an Ancient - Magnificient and timeless
    0%
    It was like a Nog - Short but generally satisfying
    21%
    Ping Chow Chimr_angryGone West 3 votes
    It was like a Tolan - Interesting but ultimately doomed
    28%
    VenomsuttyPepe LeFritsmob 4 votes
    It was like a Furling - Uneventful and anti-climactic at best
    28%
    IvanMr EOmegaRedLord Oz 4 votes
    Atari Jaguar/How does he come up with funny options every week, damn that was hard
    21%
    jor elcregseririshshogun 3 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Good episode but not as great as the last 5. Loved how Ronin was handled but my main reason for droping this episode down a notch is due to how for a Rodney focused story it lacked alot of the cool factor the writers tend to use with that character.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

Atari Jaguar/How does he come up with funny options every week, damn that was hard
    Yeah its like different writers have different ideas for the main characters. McKay had redeemed himself with the Duet ep but this ep takes his character back a notch. I think it was established that he always thinks he's right about 20 episodes ago.

I'm not liking this season as much as the last one. Last season had a sense of tension with the immenant threat of the wraith storming their way to atlantis. We saw worlds being harvested. We saw everyone in atlantis sh*tting themselves. It gave every episode some meaning. This season seems to be based on the fact that the wraith saw an explosion and imediatly decided to turn around and go home without sending a single dart to investigate. What's the threat now? Have the wraith just gone back to bed? Apparantly they're stupid now (although technologically advanced) so it doesn't matter. Also, last season already had a few eps where they almost got a power source but something happened to bring them back to where they started.

If you missed this ep you wouldn't miss much. Except that some of Ronin's friends are still alive which takes away from his unique solitude and misteriousness. Instead of being a short tempered dangerous rogue who evaded the wraith for 7 years he's just one of the lads now. No psychological scarring or nothing. Plain and boring.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

If you missed this ep you wouldn't miss much. Except that some of Ronin's friends are still alive which takes away from his unique solitude and misteriousness. Instead of being a short tempered dangerous rogue who evaded the wraith for 7 years he's just one of the lads now. No psychological scarring or nothing. Plain and boring.
    lol, what?

He just blew away someone in cold blood and has concealed the knowledge from the others with Teyla! He's a lot more interesting now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Kind of bored by this one.... It was average at best. SG1 was miles better this week.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I didn't think this was great. A bit boring, tbh. The arrogancy of McKay was far more reminescent of his appearances in SG-1. It's as cregser says - like they've gone back to an older version of the character. "Duet" was a much finer McKay moment.

I agree also that there's a lack of a visible threat. Notwithstanding the fact that the Wraith still haven't bothered to investigate Atlantis (an excuse I never bought anyway), there's no real fear invoked by them. Yes, I know the crew tricked them rather than defeated them but I'm not feeling the fear we saw in, for example, "Letters from Pegasus" last year. It's particualrly noticable given how we've seen the Ori progress in SG-1 as a credible nasty threat. SG-1 seems more focused this year. Hopefully this will change shortly.

Ronan having more people... hmm, I like the lone warrior idea but I think this can work too. His cold-bloodedness is good, particularly since I thought his old weapons master would be Bra'tac V2. And it does at least stop the obvious Teyla/Ronan hookup that I thought was coming (or at least forestalls it).

Still, Sg-1 was easily the better of the two (and three, if you include BSG) this week. Only an "OK" from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

Ronin is useless, why'd they replace Ford with him? At least Ford had some personality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

It was like a Nog - Short but generally satisfying
    Hooray - I'm going to disagree with everyone again! I gave this episode top marks becuase I completely empathised with McKay in this episode, and I don't think people really grasped what was at stake. We're talking about a power source that could eliminate the Wraith, power Atlantis several dozen times over, and make obselete fossil fuels and even the ZPM. When you think of the magnitude of such a discovery, I think the lenghts McKay is prepared to go to is quite believable, and I think the appearance of some of his other characteristics are perfectly understandable. The guy is allowed to have more than one aspect to his personality, after all.

In contrast to SG:1, Atlantis this week was filled to the brim with scientific rigour, even down to the mistakes that people made. It was also in complete contrast to last week's Atlantis, so instead of waiting for some bad guy to reveal the incredibly obvious truth of the situation, the problems were actually caused by the characters racing ahead of themselves and in an area of science in which they had no expertise. Of course the episode focused on McKay believing that he was always right, but once you accept the magnitude of a breakthrough like that, its easy to see why he's driven to it.

On a downside, I thought Teyla was rubbish, now even being surpassed by her background counterpart Ronin. Their little side-story had absolutely no bearing on the major plotline of the episode, and did little for the development of either of their characters. I chose to ignore most of that side of things when voting on this episode.

Does anyone else think that there might be a correlation between the plotlines in SG:1 and SG:A towards the end of the season? It would seem to me that a universal zero-point energy source would probably be quite a useful defence against the Ori, and Caldwell is no doubt going to be delivering that news to home any time soon. It could be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

Absolutely rubbish episode in my mind.
    I'm serious, I'm so overwhelmed with how bad the episode was I'm not really sure where to start.

Some kind of super cannon attached to a super reactor. Ok, first reaction *yoink* I'll take my supercannon.

Second reaction; Ok, lets take this baby apart piece by piece, not much point trying to get it to work if we cant make others and what happens if something goes wrong. Plus in taking it apart we'll learn alot more about it than we ever could in the day or two that we walked around the complex and pushed keys on our fancy laptop.

Horrifying, watching a scientist, even an admittedly arrogant and self-obsessed one, make such ridiculous mistakes.

With a power source like that, with what you are risking as well as the fact that you actually know so little about it, you really want to be alot more cautious.

Bleh, the very idea of the episode offended me.
    I'm really begining to dislike Atlantis lately, I hope this changes soon.
    [/rant]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Eh, what Ivan said, only a little less ranty. That about sums it up for me. I don't think McKay would be this stupid, it seems like it was just a filler episode of some sort. Find a whopping great space gun only to then realise it don't work propperly, and blow it to bits. Back to square one.

Also, why haven't the Wraith tried to dial into Atlantis? I know they won't be able to come through as the gate has a shield, but establishing a wormhole would prove the gate is still intact, and hence it wasn't blown to bits.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Why would they have any interest in the gate? It's no different to the gate on any of the other worlds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Obo

jor el wrote:
    Also, why haven't the Wraith tried to dial into Atlantis? I know they won't be able to come through as the gate has a shield, but establishing a wormhole would prove the gate is still intact, and hence it wasn't blown to bits.
    A standard nuke won't destroy a gate. That's why in SG1 in
    Beachhead, they had their naquadria-enriched Gate Buster nuke
    So the Wraith wouldn't be surprised to find the gate still active. Doesn't excuse them for being stupid and just believing a scan from orbit and not sending ships down though.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Obo wrote:
    So the Wraith wouldn't be surprised to find the gate still active. Doesn't excuse them for being stupid and just believing a scan from orbit and not sending ships down though.
    Yup, I'm still not happy with that plotline.

Wraith 1: Hey guys! This scan says the gate's gone!
    Wraith 2: Yeah but those humans have tricked us before. Let me pop down in a dart and check it out for sure-
    Wraith 1: Nope. No point. Let's go home and stroke our beards.
    Wraith 2: But it'll only take a couple of minutes and it's the source to our eternal dinner
    Wraith 1: Yeah but I wanna catch something on TV.
    Wraith 2: How about we dial the gate to make sure that ..
    Wraith 1: I'd have to get off the couch. I'm watching TV. Comprendé?
    Wraith 2: *sigh*

At least that scenario makes it somewhat plausible than all we've seen...

Advertisement