Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help Please

• 20-08-2005 8:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

I'm connected to a wireless network via an external modem and arial. My modem is in a sealed box and I don't want to open it incase I break something or un-waterproof it. Is there any other way of inding out the IP address of it so I can check the settings?

I've tried pinging and route tracing but that just gives me the IP of my wireless router and I've asked my isp but thats just a waste of time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

dwaned wrote:
    My modem is in a sealed box and I don't want to open it incase I break something or un-waterproof it. Is there any other way of inding out the IP address of it so I can check the settings?
    you are kidding right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

you are kidding right?

By "External" I would gueass he means 'outside the house - up with the arial' - hence the need for waterproofing.

TBH the ip is useless without the logon details aswell.

If you do not see its ip address in a traceroute then it is acting as a bridge and you will never see it in a traceroute.

Why do you want to go playing about with it? Is it not working? Are you just curious?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

sounds like he's connected to IBB, and wants to log into his radio on his roof to see if he can change his speed settings. :rolleyes: If you figure out how, i'd love to know aswell, but i really doubt its possible from our end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭dwaned

Snaga wrote:
    By "External" I would gueass he means 'outside the house - up with the arial' - hence the need for waterproofing.

TBH the ip is useless without the logon details aswell.

If you do not see its ip address in a traceroute then it is acting as a bridge and you will never see it in a traceroute.

Why do you want to go playing about with it? Is it not working? Are you just curious?
    Yeah that's exactly how it's set up...quiet a bad set up to be honest but I do have the log on details just don't know how to access the seetings. When my ISP set it up I saw him adjusting the signal power strenght or something like that but he left it quiet low and insisted it was high enough but to be honest the connection is pretty crap. A freind of mine is getting a 2mb connection through his where I anywhere from 14k to 1mb!!no kidding.......Just want to see if I have any options I can adjust on it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Even if you could, don't. If everyone starts ramping up their wireless kit to high power levels, it raises the EM noise floor and causes problems for everyone.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote:
    Even if you could, don't. If everyone starts ramping up their wireless kit to high power levels, it raises the EM noise floor and causes problems for everyone.
    Problem is that I'm not getting broadband speeds. Just want to try have a regular connection with decent speeds.I have literally been stuck with 14k for days at a time.I've checked for spywear and virus etc and all seems ok. ISP just won't do anything for me and as there is only one isp in the area I can't just change.

dwaned wrote:
    Problem is that I'm not getting broadband speeds. Just want to try have a regular connection with decent speeds.
    Fair enough, but it doesn't make it a good idea to hack your provider's equipment. Are you aware of all the implications, for you and other subscribers, of increasing the power level? There's usually a good reason why a provider doesn't give you information on how to change your settings.

oscarBravo wrote:
    Fair enough, but it doesn't make it a good idea to hack your provider's equipment. Are you aware of all the implications, for you and other subscribers, of increasing the power level? There's usually a good reason why a provider doesn't give you information on how to change your settings.
    No I'm not trying to go anywhere near my providers equip. The modem is mine but he supplied and installed it, therefor I have no idea the make or access to the setup. I just want to see whats goin on then I might have a chance of getting something sorted.

What kind of "modem"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What did the support dept of your ISP say when you said your speed is crap? I'm not sure what the relevance is, but I would also think that the equipment belongs to the ISP.

• Advertisement

The guy who installed the equip is also support,finance and maintanance. All the hardware is mine, but he did supply and fit.

The modem is outside in a sealed box connected directly to the arial, then a network cable comes into the house from the modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

Are you 100% sure that the equipment on the roof is yours? I was under the impression all wireless ISP's retained ownership of that equipment, because it is quite expensive. The €140 installation fee (or whatever it is) doesn't cover the cost of purchasing the equipment, it only usually covers the cost of installing the equipment.

Of course, if you do own the equipment, a quick call to them should sort everything out. They can't lock you out of equipment you own.

Are you 100% sure that the equipment on the roof is yours? I was under the impression all wireless ISP's retained ownership of that equipment, because it is quite expensive. The €140 installation fee (or whatever it is) doesn't cover the cost of purchasing the equipment, it only usually covers the cost of installing the equipment.

Of course, if you do own the equipment, a quick call to them should sort everything out. They can't lock you out of equipment you own.
    This guy is trying to set up a full system with a lot of, lets say bariers. I deffinately own the equiptment but he's just not very helpfull. When I ring him his answer is that he has to come over. I waited almost 5 months to have it installed just cause he couldn't get out to me!! So when he says he's comin over, it could be a while....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Where are you in the country? Sounds like your taking about the power over ethernet box (this doesn't need to outside by the way, if it's ethernet you can bring in indoors and not lose any single (if its not ethenet the signal will drop the longer the cable))
    Anyway, open up a browser an go to http://www.whatismyip.com
    This will give you the external address of the box you are using. I am also suspecting that this might not be an well-known ISP, if so then the chances are the box is POE and it that case the IP address is assigned to the network card on you PC/Router etc. What is you PC's local address?

Are you 100% sure that the equipment on the roof is yours? I was under the impression all wireless ISP's retained ownership of that equipment, because it is quite expensive.
    More to the point, retaining ownership of the equipment allows the ISP to (a) prevent the end-user from frigging with it and thereby potentially screwing up the entire network, and (b) replace it if something goes wrong with it.

Advertisement