Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FTA- Liverpool Vs Sunderland (scores included)

• 20-08-2005 9:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭

Okay as its on the telly I thought it would be worth a thread.

Can Mick McCarthys promoted side bounced back from last week and embarrass Liverpool?
    Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Hyypia, Whitbread, Warnock, Luis Garcia, Cisse, Sissoko, Gerrard, Hamann, Zenden, Alonso, Morientes, Baros, Carson, Riise, Potter.

Davis, Nosworthy, Arca, Breen, Caldwell, Whitehead, Robinson, Welsh, Lawrence, Miller, Gray, Stead, Brown, Elliott, J Murphy, Piper.

Looking at the squad lists you'd say no. But I don't see a cricket score either
    I'll go for a cautious one goal win margin for Pool.

Mike.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

mike65 wrote:
    Okay as its on the telly I thought it would be worth a thread.

Can Mick McCarthys promoted side bounced back from last week and embarrass Liverpool?

Looking at the squad lists you'd say no. But I don't see a cricket score either
    I'll go for a cautious one goal win margin for Pool.

Mike.

Didn't know it was on the telly, am just going..

Looking forward to it, hope that we can start to bang in a few goals.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

SPORT: The Premiership Live
    Channel: RTÉ 1 1
    Date: Saturday 20th August 2005
    Time: 14:45 to 17:15
    Duration: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
    Football action from the Premiership as European Champions Liverpool take on Mick McCarthy's Sunderland at Anfield.

Excerpt taken from DigiGuide - the world's best TV guide available from http://www.getdigiguide.com/?p=1&r=7333
    Copyright ©1999-2004 GipsyMedia Ltd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

2-0 Liverpool

Morientes and Garcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Shred

Should be comfortable enough, 3-0 to the 'pool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

hopefully elliott will get a run about. I cant see Mick starting him though.

Liverpool to win but a good display by sunderland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

the sunderland players will be up for it, big game in anfield, thats why i cant see us hammering them. but we will beat them 2-0 i reckon cant see us conceding

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Sunderland were beaten easily by a good Charlton team last week. Liverpool are alot better than Charlton.

Unless Sunderland park the team bus in front of the goal, as Mourinho would put it, I fancy Liverpool to win 3-0, with Gerrard banging in at least one, maybe two.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

==========Reina
    Finnan=Hyypia=Carragher=Warnock

Cisse==Sissoko==Alonso==Zenden
    =========Gerrard

==========Morientes

That formation is subject to conformation!

subs
    Carson, Josemi, Garcia, Baros, Risse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

why is that knob giles criticising rafa about rotating players already and not using his best side??

rte = clowns

kick off delayed by 15 minutes , no sign of Eliott starting. maybe he will get 20 minutes near the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Shred wrote:
    Should be comfortable enough, 3-0 to the 'pool.
    Hehe, I thought this was running commentary and was just like :eek:

Workmanlike.

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Is Cisse not a striker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

kaids wrote:
    Is Cisse not a striker?

He is alleged to be one. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Cisse is playing up front with Moro. Sissoko is playing on the right of midfield..

No he's not Cisse is deffo spending most time on the right wing, sometimes pops up on the left but he's not playing striker (he should be though). Sissoko is in the centre with Gerrard just ahead. The fact there is confusion tells its own story.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Cisse is playing up front with Moro.....

*predicts increase in offside count for liverpool* :D

liverpool seem to be well in control of this one... 2 or 3 - nil for the pool i reckon..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

liverpool picking it up again have to bang in another 1 in the next ten minutes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

He was actually playing off the right but he had so many oppurtunities I was sure he was playing up front..

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

welsh off??
    odd

also enter baros

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Linesman made the call. Not much in it to be honest.... I reckon that will be recinded, but that wont do much good for this game....

Bad decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

what kinda decision was that from the Ref's assistant????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mayordenis wrote:
    welsh off??
    odd
    He definatey deserved to get booked, maybe the red was a little bit harsh. Its his own fault, he deliberaately ran into Garcia. He got involved for no other eason than to hit Garcia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

There is a huge huge huge huge huge difference between a body check, deserving of a yellow, and violent conduct, deserving of a red.
    This was arguably a body check, and I think it was just momentum.

Meh.

Cisses' "goal" was perfectly good for me, the Welsh red card was mad. Was Gerrard taken off for save him from a red card? I think so. Booing Garica when he wastes posession is'nt too clever as annoying as that back heel was.

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    There is a huge huge huge huge huge difference between a body check, deserving of a yellow, and violent conduct, deserving of a red.
    This was arguably a body check, and I think it was just momentum.

There was definately intent. He gave him a filthy look as he was on the ground. He threw himself into garcia a bit more than just momentum.

mike65 wrote:
    Meh.

Cisses' "goal" was perfectly good for me, the Welsh red card was mad. Was Gerrard taken off for save him from a red card? I think so. Booing Garica when he wastes posession is'nt too clever as annoying as that back heel was.

Mike.

In fairness someone (or the whole crowd) has to tell him wat he's doing wrong because Bentiez obviously isnt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Elliot was good when he came on. Showed good pace, and was a bit of a threat to the defence!

every game i see cisse in makes me lose more and more respect for the french league

good to see garcia come on just to remind us of his losing the ball abilitys

morientes had a good game despite not scoring. looked alot more active and fitter

in general a dissapointing performance considering the opposition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

if Cissé was playing up front from the start he could've done better. He should never, EVER play on the wing again - he's less than useless out there.

on a side note....if zenden got run over by a big bus on his way home...wouldnt be the worse thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Well, Liverpool stay as uncomfortable this season in the league as last and got by with a bare 1-0 victory. At least its points on the board, but the problems in the team and the set-up persist. Liverpool in the first half looked as if they were the away team as Sunderland dominated possession without being dangerous for long periods. Liverpool did better in the 2nd half, but still allowed Sunderland a sniff of half chances and didnt create many clear openings themselves to put away the game.

Reina - played fine, a couple of occasions in the box not comfortable, otherwise comfortable, but not really tested

Finnan - good, solid and what we expect from him, got up a few times to provide width, made a saving clearence

Carragher - also good, solid and what we expect from him, made some good passes

Hyypia - also good, read the game well, didnt get caught for pace

Warnock - a good game, showed why he could command the left back position, looks more of a footballer than Traore

so the defence was solid ....

Liverpool changed around their midfield. They played Gerrard up in a sort of diamond shape with Alonso the foot of the diamond, but not always.

Zenden - to me he adds very little, doesnt provide much width and is a bit-part player

Alonso - did a lot of defending, got some good passes away, scored the free-kick, more of that please

Sissoko - didnt do that well I thought, not very good creatively, better at defending and getting in tackles, a sort of Traore in midfield that looks more of a footballer

Gerrard - not one of his better games, seemed to lack energy, perhaps tired after the England 4-1 defeat, fouled a bit and got subbed

Morientes - not good enough imo for a Liverpool team, always a yard just short of getting through - no way is he a 20-goal a season player

Cisse - missed an open goal, did get one that was called offside with a ham-fisted attempt, played more centrally today, much better for him, but I dont think he is good enough

subs:
    Garcia (Gerrard 55) Riise (Zenden 63) Baros (Cisse 75)

Garcia was his usual self, giving the ball away, trying flicks, etc. The Liverpool crowd did seem to grow impatient with him, and I would be of the same mind.

Riise did ok, but didnt get any good shots away, he had a couple of half chances, played at left side of midfield. Better than Zenden, thats for sure, and neither Giles nor I can understand why he is not in the team before Zenden.

Baros did ok, passed a bit but didnt try a shot from outside the box when a couple of chances seemed half-on, but better than Cisse and Morientes

So, overall, a subdued performance from Liverpool, perhaps many of the players are suffering from international duty, and this game can be put down just as a basic win, but no more than that, and far from a comfortable win. Who was it that said a 2-0 or 3-0 win would do? Its looking like a long season in the league.

The game also is useful input into the Baros/Owen debate. To me, both of those players are better than Cisse and Morientes. Yet, that is what Liverpool had to use for 75 mins of this match. Perhaps Liverpool do need Owen AND Baros, but Benitez wont see it like that. He knows that he can offload Baros, there will be takers, the 8.5m bid is confirmed, and for whatever reason, Benitez and Baros do not get on 100%. Benitez will keep his favoured son of Morientes. He inherited Cisse but will be willing to give him a go at times this season.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The amount of clear cut chances cisse missed was unreal. I think it should be clear to benitez that morientes as a lone striker just doesnt work. I know liverpool play well with a 5 man midfield but the wide areas need to be sorted out, cisse drifted and zenden was almost playing as a striker, it left us forcing through the middle (which was pretty damn cramped with morientes dropping short and sunderland also having a 5 man midfield). I think sissoko is great, the guy will be brilliant in time, but id prefer to see hamann in the centre, he drops deeper and connects the backs to the midfield. A promising sign was garcia being dropped, it told him he needs to shape up and that benitez wasnt being overly loyal. Also the chances we created early on, its a shame that the pressure died off so dramatically after the goal but it was a promising sign none the less.

Reina - Was solid.
    Finnan - had a pretty solid game also.
    Warnock - he seemed to be targetted by the sunderland team, he needed more support from zenden.
    Hyypia - Didnt have any problems and dealt with what he had to.
    Carragher - same as hyypia.
    Gerrard - Lively start early on then gradually faded untill being taken off.
    Sissoko - put himself about, did well.
    Alonso - Didnt have his great games but scored a great goal and some nice passes as always.
    Zenden - Need him to stay out left and whip some crosses in, seemed to drift inwards and was ineffective.
    Cisse - Had a pretty bad game, 3 glorious chances and 2 of them opted to just blast than place, one was a shocker.
    Morientes - Wasnt really in the game but cant really blame him, hes not a lone striker.

Subs
    Garcia - Gave the ball away but not as much as usual, looked lively.
    Riise - Gave the team the much needed width, looked a threat.

Edit, you just reminded me of baros redspider, forgot all about him. He dropped back and linked up more.
    The game also is useful input into the Baros/Owen debate. To me, both of those players are better than Cisse and Morientes. Yet, that is what Liverpool had to use for 75 mins of this match. Perhaps Liverpool do need Owen AND Baros, but Benitez wont see it like that. He knows that he can offload Baros, there will be takers, the 8.5m bid is confirmed, and for whatever reason, Benitez and Baros do not get on 100%. Benitez will keep his favoured son of Morientes. He inherited Cisse but will be willing to give him a go at times this season.

I agree, but morientes is being played upfront on his own and hes pretty damned slow, considering the midfield diamond does really well at slipping in those defence splitting passes to pacy forwards its a waste. I think we seriously need owen, the amount of clear cut chances scuffed by cisse and morientes drive me mad but i think they will improve. Baros misses alot of oppurtunies aswell, but he creates so much that i dont get disheartened because i know hell create something else. A worrying sign as i mentioned was cisses hit and hopes, especially through on goal, and the lack of heading attempts. Ill be over the moon if owen is unveiled before the end of the transfer deadline, rafa if your watching...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I thought liverpool were not up for it at all...

I think we do need owen back. There's nothing happening up front for us at the moment..Morientes still too sluggish and Cissé got loads of chances and missed them..can't see either of them getting over 15 league goals this season!!

Zenden is a bit dodgy too...

I though Sissoko had a good game...he's gonna be a legend!! But i can see him getting 1 or two red cards this season as he gets stuck in !!

I though Sissoko had a good game...he's gonna be a legend!! But i can see him getting 1 or two red cards this season as he gets stuck in !!

i dunno, he was a bit sloppy today. too many missed passes and looked a step off his game.

i think he set a nice standard for himself against boro last week and he needs to keep it at that level. he's our best signing since alonso though

• Advertisement

what did everyone think of elliottt??

Seeing as the right is an issue, Benitez should have Riise on the left and stick try Zenden on the right. Surely a player adapted from left to right wing would be better than an adapted striker, especially one I dont rate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Davei141 wrote:
    The amount of clear cut chances cisse missed was unreal. I think it should be clear to benitez that morientes as a lone striker just doesnt work. I know liverpool play well with a 5 man midfield but the wide areas need to be sorted out, cisse drifted and zenden was almost playing as a striker, it left us forcing through the middle (which was pretty damn cramped with morientes dropping short and sunderland also having a 5 man midfield). I think sissoko is great, the guy will be brilliant in time, but id prefer to see hamann in the centre, he drops deeper and connects the backs to the midfield. A promising sign was garcia being dropped, it told him he needs to shape up and that benitez wasnt being overly loyal. Warnock - he seemed to be targetted by the sunderland team, he needed more support from zenden.
    Zenden - Need him to stay out left and whip some crosses in, seemed to drift inwards and was ineffective.
    Cisse - Had a pretty bad game, 3 glorious chances and 2 of them opted to just blast than place, one was a shocker.
    Morientes - Wasnt really in the game but cant really blame him, hes not a lone striker.

I am mainly in agreement with you Dave141. One point though is that Liverpool played with 2 up front (Cisse and Morientes) and not 5 across the middle. Cisse also didnt play out as far right as he has been of late, although it was that side of attack he stayed on for most of the game. The lack of switching between the front two made it very easy for the opposition defence.

> The amount of clear cut chances cisse missed was unreal.

I agree. He is not a clinical finisher.

> I think it should be clear to benitez that morientes as a lone striker just doesnt work. I know liverpool play well with a 5 man midfield but the wide areas need to be sorted out, cisse drifted and zenden was almost playing as a striker, it left us forcing through the middle (which was pretty damn cramped with morientes dropping short and sunderland also having a 5 man midfield).

I agree with you that Morientes should not be a lone striker, but this wasnt the case yesterday. I fully concur with you that Zenden kept coming into the middle. On one occasion, himself and Morientes clashed while racing for the same ball. Zenden beat Morientes for speed though, although thats no surprise!

> I think sissoko is great, the guy will be brilliant in time, but id prefer to see hamann in the centre, he drops deeper and connects the backs to the midfield.

I was not too enamoured by Sissoko yesterday. Maybe it was the thought of playing at Anfield that got to him, some jitters perhaps. I agree about Hamann.

> A promising sign was garcia being dropped, it told him he needs to shape up and that benitez wasnt being overly loyal.

possibly, although he probably didnt relay it to the player as being dropped, just resting his better players for the more important games such as the CL. Garcia came on and sauntered around in his usual style, not the sign of a player that is under the threat of being dropped.

> Warnock - he seemed to be targetted by the sunderland team, he needed more support from zenden.

Yes, Warnock was very good, I was very hapy with his performance, and as you say, he got little support from Zenden.

> Zenden - Need him to stay out left and whip some crosses in, seemed to drift inwards and was ineffective.

agreed. I dont think Zenden is good enough to be in a 1st 11.

> Cisse - Had a pretty bad game, 3 glorious chances and 2 of them opted to just blast than place, one was a shocker.

He has no ball control. He is all about speed and physical play. He will need 100 shots on goal to score 20 goals.

> Morientes - Wasnt really in the game but cant really blame him, hes not a lone striker.

I dont agree. I do blame him, I just dont think he is good enough for a Liverpool team that is not able to create chances through playing through the middle or get out wide and send in crosses into the box.

To the other poster, Elliot played well for the time he was o. Like the Ireland match, he looked lively and was trying things, but he is still young and has a lot to learn in terms of ball control and getting off good shots.

redspider

Advertisement