Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm plagued with guilt

Options
  • 20-08-2005 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭

Ok I got horrible results, failed maths and economics and didn't even get the fairly low points that I needed for my course.

I have been given the option of doing a similar course which actually leaves me in a better position than the original course I wanted.

The problem I have is that (a) I'm feeling guilty because it's a private course(as was my original choice) and (b) because I did so badly in the leaving I'm not sure I can do the course and I don't want my parents to piss their money away.

I been bombarded with the same speech countless times in the last few days that college and the leaving are two completely seperate beasts and that just because you did or didn't get the right amount of CAO points doesn't mean you would make a better or worse lawyer or psychologist than someone that got twice as many points as you. Basically that you don't know you're able for the course til you do it.

I've rambled on here but basically what I would like to know is do you think I should try for the course (I have to pass a maths exam first) or do you think I should forget about it and do something else.

Do you think CAO points really reflect our ability to do a college course 8 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 8 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Id say chance the course, what have ya got to lose? You can always do something else later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

True but it's alot of money down the crapper if I fail, I wouldn't drop out midway through the course adn if I was paying I wouldn't be worried but I'm not paying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

You don't give the reason why you got bad results? Is because you weren't properly prepared or other reasons?

I studied at home, I didn't go to school because we've moved three times in the last year and I took two new subjects to compensate for doing ordinary Irish and Maths. I probably should have gone to school for the year as not going probably hurt my results.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

The leaving is just a remember and regurgitate exercise. I know some people that were dumb as a plank but they could remember things off rather easily and did well in the leaving. I wouldn’t put much judgment on someone’s ability to do a particular job when reviewing how many points they got overall in the exam. IMO it’s not testing you on ability, just how good you can remember things off, but unfortunately it’s the way our country examines how suited a person would be for a particular career.
    I would have loved to do architecture but because I was no good at Irish & German I didn’t get the points to do it… its annoying to say the least looking back
    I went to DIT Kevin St, but eventually ended up quitting and doing a private course on something I really wanted to do. The thing is, putting money into a private course is expensive and if you are serious about it don’t mess around as you will need to pay it off unless your parents are paying it for you in which case you’re a lucky f*cker :p . I had to work in Dunness for half a year to pay for my course but it’s paid off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

doesnt matter.. if your parents can send u there.. take it!!

get your cert/dip/deg

They can send me but that doesn't stop me feeling guilty about it. They're no poor but they're not rich either. ando what private course did you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Well if you know why you did bad that's the first step. Here's a couple of options:

1. Repeat final year again and work your socks off. The course you want to do will still be there next year.

2. Do the maths exam and see how that goes. If you pass it either go for the course or do final year again.

3. Don't do course or final year. Get job and do night courses. Would not recomend this option as its a hard slog and you really need to be very disciplined. Easier to do when your older.

4. Don't do course or final year again. Get a job.

I was in a similar position to you about 15 years ago and went with option 4. It took me about 10-11 years to get myself into a job that I wanted to do and it was a hard slog which finally involved me going back to collage 5 years ago and holding down a full time job with wife, kids etc. You have time on your side so have a good think about it. Moving 3 times in your final year probably did you no favours and its probably your parents who feel guilty. Have a talk with them and let them know how you feel. Good luck and hope it goes ok for you. :D

ding

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭KlodaX

go for it. I scrapped a pass in my leaving ... did a plc course and now have a degree. I know people who had excellent leaving certs and dropped out of college. Its all a matter of determination. I think with the way you are feeling now you will feel the need to prove yourself at college and work for it, where as others may feel the college should be blessed with their presence.

If you really want to do the course do it. I know the points system proves nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Go for the course. If you're really feeling guilty about making your parents pay, then just make it a loan, and you can pay it back when you get money. Or maybe get a loan off the bank if you can, cos they're not real people :p lol

The Leaving Cert doesn't reflect how you're going to do in college. If you like the course and find it interesting, you're obviously going to work harder at it! It's a whole different kettle of fish, so to speak, lol.

I think you should take the course, if you're not interested in repeating or anything. There's nothing wrong with fees colleges, sure don't the UK all have to pay fees! Go for it! I would actually advise you against repeating here too. Just forget about the Leaving and don't be letting it get ya down. It's JUST an exam, not a reflection of you as a person. It's not important, so if you're able to get into a good course after not doing terribly well in the Leaving, then I say go for it.

Good luck mate!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

or get a job ya lazy sod!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

as has been said your leaving cert score does not reflect your ability to do well in a course in college. what about people who might get 570 in their lc but needed 580 for medicine? Is it fair to say they wouldn't make a good doctor because they got an A2 in french rather than A1, even though it's all they wanted to be and studied medical text books for years???

if this is the course you're most interested in do it, never mind feeling guilty about the fees. Your parents would probably feel guilty if you didn't do the course you wanted to and settled for less because of the financial aspect.

forget about the leaving, trust me no one gives a sh*t what you got once you're in college, why? because it doesn't matter anymore!!!!

again, if you feel this is the course for you then do it, too many people like yourself allow the lc to cloud their judgement and knock their confidence, break the cycle!!

good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,403 ✭✭✭ando

GDM wrote:
    ando what private course did you do?

ah I did a year long course in Siemens CNI off Leeson St in Dublin but that college closed about 2 years ago

Thank you all for the advice. I did tell my parents I'd pay them back when I was earning and all going acording to plan I should be making a very good living in five years time. The only thing I've to think about now is passing the two maths exams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭JCB

GDM wrote:
    Thank you all for the advice. I did tell my parents I'd pay them back when I was earning and all going acording to plan I should be making a very good living in five years time. The only thing I've to think about now is passing the two maths exams.
    By the way what is the course you want to do?

I wanted the LLB course in GCD but didn't get the points for it (if I had five more points they would have called me for an interview, if I had 10 more there wouldn't be a problwm). That had no maths requirement but since I didn't get the points they suggested the BA (Hons) Business and Law. That had a minimum maths requirement which I don't meet but they have a maths test for people who didn't get maths in their LC. If I pass that then I can do the business and law course.
    If the subjects that I'm having rechecked come back and I have ten more points than I do now I can transfer to the LLB if there's a place.

The college have been extremely helpful and one person from the college even advised me against doing a particular course which I didn't expect.

Something I didn't know but that the college told me - the CAO send out a list of courses like the one GCD offers for those who've failed maths and need it for their course. They're usually college specific though.

I'm hoping it's not as hard as the LC papers.

Advertisement