Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom.net - pop3 problems

Options
  • 20-08-2005 11:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭

Anyone else having a problem with downloading mail from eircom.net since yesterday (Friday)?

It's worked fine for the last 4 years and then, sometime yesterday afternoon it started timing out when asked to download email.

I made no setting changes, I can still send mail from Outlook and I can view incoming mail via the web - but no more pop3. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Pinging mail2.eircom.net works. Server seems to be responding. Make sure you are using mail2.eircom.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭vinnyfitz

Thanks but yes, I confirm I am using mail2.eircom.net - I have not changed any settings in yonks.

Still "timing out" though. :mad:

Do you have a firewall. That may be the problem

No. No firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

Eircom recently changed the server name for everyone (pay as you go / subscription & broadband) to: i have this and it works ok

pop mail server: mail1.eircom.net
    smtp mail server: mail1.eircom.net

• Advertisement

Thanks for the suggestion but swapping to eircom1 did not help either.

If I use "test account settings" in Outlook I get an error report:
    log onto incoming mail acount server (pop3). The specified server was found but there was no response from the server". Please verify the port and SSL seetings are correct.

Now, I have not changed my port of SSL settings in a long time so I don't see why this would be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

asssumming the server are correct maybe there is something wrong with the username or password

click start -> run. type cmd. type "ping mail1.eircom.net" in the dos console and hit enter. Do you get replies with 100% success after?
    If not try this:
    "ping 159.134.198.135" - what does that show.
    Maybe it might be your dns settings though that wouldn't explain how you are able to browse, but do it for the sake at least

100% returns with both pings..
    The one thing that has fixed it for now - thanks to the advice of another Boardsie - is that I extended the "server timeouts" setting on my email client (from 1 minute to 4 minutes).

Why that change is needed after 4 years of non disrupted service? I have no idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

Any more updates on this? I've been having the same problem for the past week or so too. Using eircom pop3 settings and mozilla thunderbird. I checked my ZoneAlarm firewall settings and my avg free antivirus settings but nothing strange there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Open a dos window (start run cmd, ok)
    type: telnet mail1.eircom.net 110 [press return]
    if it fails, its a firewall issue, if it comes up +ok (followed by some numbers) it could be your mail client or, as above, try increasing server timeouts.

azezil wrote:
    Open a dos window (start run cmd, ok)
    type: telnet mail1.eircom.net 110 [press return]
    if it fails, its a firewall issue, if it comes up +ok (followed by some numbers) it could be your mail client or, as above, try increasing server timeouts.
    Tried that and it seems to be a problem with AVG Pop3 Proxy server. Have had small issues with AVG free edition recently in that the email scanner seems to knock itself off in other users account besides my own and now I think it's blocking incoming and outgoing emails. Strange. I just switched off the email scanner in AVG and it's working fine now. Don't want to leave that scanner off though. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Had the same problem myself with AVG, one of their recent updates was dodgy, try completely uninstalling AVG and installing a fresh copy

azezil wrote:
    Had the same problem myself with AVG, one of their recent updates was dodgy, try completely uninstalling AVG and installing a fresh copy
    Didn't solve the problem. The only way I can send or receive is to disable the AVG Email Scanner which isn't the ideal solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Hey,
    This is defiently an issue with AVG as you've surmised already. I have noticed it on about five different AVG protected PC's since the middle of last week or so.
    I think we'll have to wait for another update from AVG.
    Kippy

Yeah, it looks like that we'll have to wait alright. I think AVG have forums on their website so I'll take a look on over there and see if others are having this problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dangandog

vinnyfitz wrote:
    Anyone else having a problem with downloading mail from eircom.net since yesterday (Friday)?

It's worked fine for the last 4 years and then, sometime yesterday afternoon it started timing out when asked to download email.

I made no setting changes, I can still send mail from Outlook and I can view incoming mail via the web - but no more pop3. :(
    I have experienced almost exactly the same time-out issues as described by vinnyfitz. Any fixes posted recently.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭fatalll

:D
    instead of mail1.eircom.net
    replace with webmail.eircom.net

thats it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Must you really drag up threads from 2006?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement