Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CTY's founder dies at age 87

Options
  • 20-08-2005 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I got this email last night, thought I'd pass it on - the man responsible for starting the great enterprise of CTY died last week. :(

Dear CTY family:

We wanted to make sure that, as a member of the CTY family, you were aware of the loss of our founder, Dr. Julian C. Stanley, who died August 12, 2005, at age 87.

Dr. Stanley worked tirelessly to ensure that students with academic talent received the attention and services they needed. As The New York Times noted in its August 15 obituary, his work led directly to a model of programs, now widely accepted in the US and internationally, that parallel the school system and offer special testing and academic courses to gifted young people.

An article about Dr. Stanley's life, work, and memorial information is on CTY's website at http://www.jhu.edu/cty/about/stanley.html

Sincerely,
    The Johns Hopkins University
    Center for Talented Youth

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭Barry Aldwell

Although I no longer publicise my attendance at CTYI, or consider myself as a CTYIer, the experience that was CTYI had an effect on my life, and doubtlessly had a much greater effect on the lives of many others on this board. None of this would have been possible without Dr Stanley. His legacy, in the form of CTY, CTYI and his various other projects, will hopefully continue to bring joy to thousands of young people every year

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wow...that's a shock to hear. It really makes you think when you realise that all of CTY everywhere all started with one man who had an idea, and pursued it.... CTYI made me what I am today, and in some way, I owe it all to Dr. Stanley. I only hope he can bring people as much joy in his next life.

His name is Robert Paulson...

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Zounds

Julian C. Stanely, requiescat in pace

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Mocha One Sugar

Well all i can say is...
    if Julian C. Stanley believed in God, may God bless him

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It's strange to think that a man who I never met, was never aware of, made such an impact on my life. May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭TalkISCheap

He made the world so much of a better place by being born. How many people can honestly say that hundreds of thousands of people were happier bacause of them...
    -RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Jade Chihuahua

He made a huge impact on so many lives, including a lot of people who never knew him, and I can safely say without doubt that he's vastly improved the lives of thousands of people, myself included. Julian C. Stanley, God bless him, R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Im not going to get as emotional as some people here, coz tbh im not particularly moved by this man dying. He clearly lived a very fulfilling and long life, and i hope his death was quick and painless.

Also,
    Although I no longer publicise my attendance at CTYI
    :confused::confused::confused::confused:
    wtf?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

Thanks for everything, Dr. J!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 T.J.

It's a pity shes gone. Does anybody else remember Fergal he was great?

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Lets try keep this thread a little more on topic than usual, k? It's not a typical random waffle thread.

May he Rest in Peace. If he has family, I'm sure our thoughts are with them...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭oq4v3ht0u76kf2

ColHol; some people move on from CTYI and have very little contact with CTYI'ers... it happens and that's their choice. Other people's entire social scructure begins to rotate around CTYI - and that's their choice. Either way, not many people deny the positive impact of CTYI on their lives.

T.J., Feargal was my JC science teacher and my LC physics teacher - he is indeed a good man. As is Seán O'Ceileachair (a friend, who tried to teach my Gaeilge :p) but I'm not sure how many of you were around in 2002 as that was his last year.

Jack, Directors of CTYs are usually academics seens as CTYs are usually based in / affiliated with universities - hence, many of them are doctors. Seán was acting Director for a year and he 'only' has a Masters.

And finally, and much more pertinently, my condolences to Dr. Stanley's family - he's in my thoughts and prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Jack Lynch

halenger wrote:
    Lets try keep this thread a little more on topic than usual, k? It's not a typical random waffle thread.

May he Rest in Peace. If he has family, I'm sure our thoughts are with them...

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

Bob wrote:
    ColHol; some people move on from CTYI and have very little contact with CTYI'ers... it happens and that's their choice. Other people's entire social scructure begins to rotate around CTYI - and that's their choice. Either way, not many people deny the positive impact of CTYI on their lives.
    Fascinating. Whats your point?

Advertisement