Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forced to buy Bundles?

Options
  • 20-08-2005 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭

with the PSP and 360 coming soon, Do you think all shops will only offer customers bundles forcing them to buy more than the just the console? I remember the PS2, you couldnt buy it for the first few months without buying memcard/stand/extra controller and a game.

Are shops allowed to only offer bundles?

Sean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

Surely they can stock whatever they want?

I got my PS2 when it came out with just the console, no extra jazz. I'm sure if you look around or make a fuss you can get just the console.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

grimloch wrote:
    Surely they can stock whatever they want?

They can, but what they want to sell to you is bundles ;) They want to make you buy as much as possible.

They know if there are shortages, they can get away with forcing bundles on people.

If there aren't shortages, they may try it, but it won't last very long.

As far as I know, though, this is a bigger thing in the states than it is here. Hopefully it won't catch on in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im sure we will find out thursday week........

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

But don't people want to buy a game and a memory card when they're buying a console anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

But don't people want to buy a game and a memory card when they're buying a console anyway?

A memory card yes but not necessarily a set game. I'm not to up to date on these things but is it a game of your choice?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Thats what I was about say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

A similar deal with essential peripherals... a cousin of mine had 3 of the PS1 light-guns from 3 different games, crazy stuff

grimloch: Most bundles nowadays in the high-street retailers offer a choice of any new release. For the DS launch, most places had 2 different bundles - a choice of any full-price game free, or one of the budget games (Polarium etc) at a lower price.

As for PSP bundles? I wouldn't count on there being any, at least of any real saving. Margins are tight for retailers as it is, and as there's a huge demand they're guaranteed to sell out regardless - so they can charge full whack for games and accessories knowing that they'll be bought anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Is there really a huge demand for the PSP in Europe atm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Im not talking about bundles to save money, Im talking about shops forcing you to buy extra stuff on the day of release, and Not being able to just walk in a buy the console on its own if you wanted.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

When i got the DS, i could've got it on it's own, but i got mario for like 15 euro because of a bundle. It's much more reasonable to get a bundle, but as long as you've prebooked your console there's no why the shop can't let you leave with that alone.

I could be wrong, but don't you have to get a value pack with all the extras when you get a PSP anyway??

Is there really a huge demand for the PSP in Europe atm?

Yeah. I know that GameStop, Game and HMV have all sold out their day 1 allocation by a fair bit.

Advertisement