Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless signal dropping problems

• 20-08-2005 12:58pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have a Linksys WKPC54G Router and PCMCIA card kit. I also have a desktop with a Belkin wireless USB adaptor. The PC with the belkin usb adaptor has never had a problem, never dropped once, but the laptop with the PCMCIA card drops constantly. The router is in the room directly above, and with the laptop on the table not moving, the signal jumps from 54mb to 1mb and everything in between and drops all the time.

The laptop is a HP Pavillian ZE4500. XP Home. Broadband through UTV.

Anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

generally the pcmcia cards have a much weaker aerial. that is probably the problem. You probably can't change that - but you can buy higher strength aerial for your router in pc world or maplin - might improve the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Try putting the USB thingy on the laptop. That will at least establish (to an extent) if there's a funny configuration thing happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Drexl Spivey

I've got such problems as well: my PCI card with an antenna has the best signal strength.

My PDA and USB Dongle have poor signal strength.

Is there a way to improve this. Apparently Belkin has a Pre-N standard that increases coverage. That could be a solution but an expensive one.

What I don't understand is that sometime I get 54 Mpbs with stong signal strength, someothertime it goes down to 5 Mpbps or even no connection at all.

I also have noticed that sometime my network has been detected, but I am not connected ....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

yes that happens to me too. I don;t really understand it cause with for example a mobile phone signal, wen you are sriving around the signal wil fluctuate, but its doesn;t go from full to nothing in the one place...

I'll try it with the USB dongle and see what happens... Are somemakes of PCMCIA card better than others, as I went for Linksys as they were apparantly the best, made my cisco etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

I have the exact same setup and notice the same problem with the USB device. The way I look at it is that my connection is only ever as fast as the slowest link, in my case that will always be my 2Mb internet connection. Therefor, while not working perfectly I can't get anything more that 2Mb anyway so there is no need, for me, for 54Mb anyway.
    Of course this doesn't help you, especially if you are transfering files internally where the speed of the LAN determines the time to transfer files.

• Advertisement
Advertisement