Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Official NUIM board for incoming students

Options
  • 20-08-2005 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭

A board was set up on the colleges website too cater for new students and to welcome them to Maynooth. Here it is http://www.mikadosoc.ie/newStudents/index.php

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Lilly81

the mikado cliques will actually have to let people join in on their "drinkies"???

how long is that going to be on the main page for? mikado aren't that welcoming to new people, i don't think it's a good idea for first years.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

Doesn't make that much of a difference, the place is dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Lilly you sound like you`ve got a big chip on your shoulder? what have they done to you?

They seem rather nice and helpful actually.

Beau wrote:
    Lilly you sound like you`ve got a big chip on your shoulder? what have they done to you?

They seem rather nice and helpful actually.

you're obviously in the clique then. any new person will tell you that if you're not one of the gang or know one of them well then you don't have a hope of being friends with them. i'm one of many people that thinks this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Lilly81 wrote:
    you're obviously in the clique then. any new person will tell you that if you're not one of the gang or know one of them well then you don't have a hope of being friends with them. i'm one of many people that thinks this.

Well we can hardly say we know any of them, or that we are their friends...but yes they are being very helpful with everything. You seem very bitter they must have done something to you!!
    Maybe they are just trying to lure us in before they go all "clique-y" on us...!

Lilly81 wrote:
    you're obviously in the clique then.

I have`nt even started college in Maynooth yet. How can a society be unwelcoming to new students? like surely they have to be considerinmg in college people are always coming and going.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭*marie*

Wait, if I make friends with someone from Mikado, and then I make friends with you Lilly81, that means you're as good as in!!

Now is it honestly as bad as that??I've found the information I got from that site invaluable...

Well maybe they are but Lilly provide some back up to your statement rather than just say that your not the only one that has this opinion, give reasons for your opinion!

What do the Mikado soc do anyway? sit around and eat biscuits all day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Maynooth

guys she's not the only one that thinks that. beau they don't really do anything bar go out on the piss every now and again and chat with eachother online even though they're usually sitting next to eachother.
    to be honest all the other societies laugh at them but this is the first time they've put that welcoming new students up on the main page so maybe it will all change when the newbies come along.

• Advertisement

the new students mikado message board is a different one from the general mikado message board anyway so it's a lot better that new people have their own one.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ringleader

If the other site is too slow for you, try the main one at mikadosoc.ie

And frankly, anyone who says it's a clique of nerds is just sore that they didn't get worshipped by the very people they're slagging. It's like calling boards a bunch of nerds who chat online, and meet for drinks. The difference is you're not really going to know everyone here in real life, whereas on mikado you just might.

Most societies people are on it too. It's a good place to find out new information about the college, and excellent for finding out anything that happens on campus before everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

I have no opinion on the matter personally.
    But some friends were giving out about mikado, pretty much exactly what lily81 was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

When it comes to Mikado there's 3 types of people: the people like Lilly who think it's a big nerdy clique fest, people (and there's quite a few of them) who seem to live on the thing and I wonder if they actually have lives outside of it and there's people who are on there now and again and go to their shindigs sometimes (like moi). If you don't like it don't go on there and if you do like it and get to meet some sound people then what's the harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

would recommend to anyone to go to the mikado agm without doubt one of the funniest nights out last year, mainly due to a certain incident at it

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭namelessguy

Is mikado (mick-a-doo) down or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Is mikado (mick-a-doo) down or is it just me?
    Think it's down....some virus I think

Ah knackerjacks

Ah knackerjacks

yeah you would know all about them, wouldnt ya :D

joe316 wrote:
    yeah you would know all about them, wouldnt ya :D

People in glass houses joe :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

Lily you must just be an anti-sociable whinger who just doesn't make the effort to get to know people because I was never in any clique and I found the vast majority of people in the society very friendly and easy to get along with.

As for that other comment about the other socities laughing at them, if that is true I seriously doubt mikado gives a ****! It's still one of the most popular socities in the college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

Who's laughing at them? The ever so hip and trendy Games society? Ooooh! :rolleyes:

can i ask a simple question? i thought it was against boards rules to promote another forum on these forums, i was sure ive seen other people getting bannings for doing the same

Advertisement