Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sects in islam

• 20-08-2005 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭

Could somebody give a couple of lines on the different sects in islam?

I might end up typing it up tonight if I have enough time.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

There are a few which i honestly don't know a whole lot about. The ones I know are Sunni, Shia and Sufism (Islamic Mysticism, I think). They seem to be the main ones. Sunni is the majority last I checked. I am sure if you goolge for info. on them you will find a lot. I know there are a few other, but I don't remember any off hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Check the FAQ for wikipedia link. lists them all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Shia make up 10% of Muslims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭r3boot

i meant followers shafi'i hanafi'i, tabrizi, systani, salafi, ilmani etc on both the sunni and shia side of the spectrum because that's what people can never get a handle on .

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

in Sunnah, the main ones are Shafie, Hanbali, Hanafi.

it's not a Sect its more of an interputation of teaching.
    these scholars (Shafie,Hanbali and Hanafi ) studied the sunnah (way the prophet lived his life) and produced an understanding of it to the normal people.
    the difference is really small.

Example:

they are the same in the core the only difference are in life style for example when it comes to blood or shaking hands with women.
    some would go on an insidance where the Prophet re-washed (woudo) himself for prayer after he cut himself. others go by another when he did'nt.
    same when men shake hands with women, some would arue that the man and the women must re do the woudo before they pray others would say it;s fine as long as there were no sexual intention.

Again the Islamic core is the same and unchanged.

• Advertisement
Advertisement