Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 on RTE

• 20-08-2005 2:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I urge everyone reading this to find out somehow when season 2 kicks off on RTE 2. Particularly if you know someone who works in RTE.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,036 ✭✭✭✭Basq

They may not even have the rights for the second season yet! (presumably they should judging by the ratings but they still may not)

Would not expect Season 2 on RTE til a bit into the New Year. The 1st season will be ending sometime around Halloween. And there's no way they'll start the Season at any point around the Christmas / Winter season. Would expect it around February / March at the earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

they announced tehyd be showing it in the autumn a week or 2 ago when they were announcing their new schedule

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭GrumPy

yeah, Basquille is right, if you want season 2 asap, watch it on ABC ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

L5 wrote:
    they announced tehyd be showing it in the autumn a week or 2 ago when they were announcing their new schedule

Is there anywhere i can see this schedule?

i dont know, it was in the papers last week that theyd be showing new season of lost, and new season of desperate housewives

• Advertisement

What paper, which day?

L5 wrote:
    i dont know, it was in the papers last week that theyd be showing new season of lost, and new season of desperate housewives
    They got the rights to it then... but i saw Season 1 of 'Lost' advertised on RTE in their "new schedule" near the beginning of the year! :rolleyes: Look how long it took them to start airing it!

Wouldn't trust the "autumn" comment
    obl wrote:
    What paper, which day?
    Believe it was the Massachusetts Examiner on Friday 1st July 1896.... :D.... why does it matter?!

obl wrote:
    What paper, which day?

independant, i think it was friday last (not yesterday). Not positive on that date though, maybe a day or 2 earlier or later.
    It was on page 3, full page article on their new schedule

basquille wrote:
    Believe it was the Massachusetts Examiner on Friday 1st July 1896.... :D.... why does it matter?!

:D

basquille wrote:
    Wouldn't trust the "autumn" comment

Oh i wont be relying on them for it!, ill get it off my cousin in the states.

• Advertisement

Me too, well my family back in Canada. Although I e-mailed RTE asking them about it, am waiting for a reply.
    The paper mattered because a friend of mine runs a news agents and may have that issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

RTE may well be shaping up to show the new season very close to the launch of season 2 in the US as i think from tomorrw night Mon 22nd they are going to be showing 2 episodes a week back to back, so that means eps 15 (Homecoming) & 16 (Outlaws) tomorrow, and if they keep at that rate they could possibly finish up on the 12th of september with a triple bill or maybe stretching it out till the 19th of september. and with season 2 opening on the 21st in the States rte would be ready to rock from the 26th with season2 less than a week behind the states, which may stop people acquiring it from their cousins and drive up the viewership numbers, also the same could be said for desperate houswives as the shows are now proven their is no need to wait and test the waters regarding popularity, so hopefully rte are getting the finger out, cos its so easy to really be sensible, and i for ione would wait to watch it on TV and let my cousins concentrate on other things ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

what about sky - surely they would see its been successful and lap it up ala 24

"Hi obl
    Thank you for your e-mail regarding the second series
    of "Lost" and I am happy to be able to tell you that we
    shall indeed be showing this second series in the
    Autumn but as yet I do not have an exact transmission
    date - when we do it will be well advertised
    Best regards
    Mary Byrne
    Information Officer"

Thats the reply i got to the email i sent yesterday
    I also think they could start showing it at the end of sept beginning of oct

obl wrote:
    ..I also think they could start showing it at the end of sept beginning of oct
    Sorry but i'd really really doubt it!

RTE were one of the last countries besides the UK to show the first season. And the idea that they'll begin showing the second season a week or two after it begins in the US is, quite frankly, laughable!

I'd be amazed if we saw the second season on RTE before the end of the year, to be honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

It would be stupid to show it in the autumn! they would have to take all the breaks the US has to. Of course they do it with ER. Last year they started just before Christmas,put on 2 eps,then took a 4 week break over Christmas. Now what was the point in that? They took further breaks and even let E4 get ahead of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

It would be stupid to show it in the autumn! they would have to take all the breaks the US has to. Of course they do it with ER. Last year they started just before Christmas,put on 2 eps,then took a 4 week break over Christmas. Now what was the point in that? They took further breaks and even let E4 get ahead of them.

Yeah they took alot of breaks with ER last year. But that was mainly down to once off shows interupting it.

I like the fact that ER comes back before XMAS. XMAS gives a nice natural break.

The only show about 3 new episodes a month in the states.

I don't think LOST would work with that amount of breaks. But they could get it in Jan or Feb.

Also RTE have a tendance to tell you that show are coming in the new season and then they don't arrive until the new year. :rolleyes:

Details of the new season here
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=287962

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭googie

it wasnt once off shows that interrupted er. there were two bank holidays and they showed films instead. extremely annoying, but luckily there's e4 to watch it on instead. not gonna bother watching it on rte next series

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Last year RTE caught up with the states at one stage and took ER of the air for 2 weeks it was then replaced by Movies.

RTE replaced ER with the IFTA awards and Showbands. It also took XMAS of the air.

But then I like ER on a Sunday night it suit me.

Why They didn't replace it during the summer with CSI is bad scheduling IMO perfect time slot for CSI IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

My wife works in RTE and part of her job is dealing with the scheduling system. I'll find out for y'all what the story is (though she's off work for the next couple of weeks).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,721 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

obl wrote:
    I urge everyone reading this to find out somehow when season 2 kicks off on RTE 2. Particularly if you know someone who works in RTE.

Well, ABC launches the second season of "Lost" Sept. 21, so RTÉ cannot air before this.

ABC aired the 26 episodes of season one over a 36 week period, assuming the same pattern this year, RTÉ (if they want to avoid overtaking the states) cannot start before early December.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Watching it in Canada on CBC (a couple of minutes behind ABC in the US) was painful. Constant repeats when they had breaks in the schedule made it hard to plan to stay in to see new episodes. I'd much prefer to see RTE hold the show back so that they can show it uninterupted.

Lodgepole wrote:
    Watching it in Canada on CBC (a couple of minutes behind ABC in the US) was painful. Constant repeats when they had breaks in the schedule made it hard to plan to stay in to see new episodes. I'd much prefer to see RTE hold the show back so that they can show it uninterupted.

Fair point

*****BUMP*****

In some other thread on the Lost forum.. i forget exactly where!

But someone e-mailed RTE about when they're airing the new series and they replied that they have the rights to it and won't be til at some point in the new year..

.. as i expected!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭nachos

basquille wrote:
    In some other thread on the Lost forum.. i forget exactly where!

But someone e-mailed RTE about when they're airing the new series and they replied that they have the rights to it and won't be til at some point in the new year..

.. as i expected!

this is what I got back from RTE:
    John
    I am in receipt of your email re above.
    I have checked with our Acquisitions department and
    have been informed that RTE will be acquiring the
    licence for the next series. However, it will not be
    transmitted before next year.

Kind regards.
    Bernie Fitzpatrick - RTE Information Officer.

Reckon I'm going to have a chat with my cousin....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭OFDM

L5 wrote:
    independant, i think it was friday last (not yesterday). Not positive on that date though, maybe a day or 2 earlier or later.
    It was on page 3, full page article on their new schedule
    Actually, page 23, column 4, paragraph 8 and page 42 lines 15 and 16.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

Well I'd say it'd be early Jan/Feb before we see it but I'm just glad they have bought season 2. I was afraid the double bills were their way of getting rid of the show more quickly. I would say actually if they held off until just after C4 finished S1 they could really benefit. The OC became a huge huge hit for TG4 after C4 had shown it and more people had caught because they got the new series first and more people were aware of it. Granted Lost is a much bigger show on a much bigger station but I can definitely see an increase if they play their cards right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rte *cant* show it at the same time as US, not even in the same month due to ABCs income from it.

It is sold as a package to other nations lucky its sold on a "how many will watch it " basis hecne costing RTE feck all unlike C4 who would have spent millions on it.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭ScruffySlayer

KdjaC wrote:
    Rte *cant* show it at the same time as US, not even in the same month due to ABCs income from it.

It is sold as a package to other nations lucky its sold on a "how many will watch it " basis hecne costing RTE feck all unlike C4 who would have spent millions on it.

kdjac
    Interesting. I always wondered how Irish TV got things so early. That explains it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Khannie wrote:
    My wife works in RTE and part of her job is dealing with the scheduling system. I'll find out for y'all what the story is (though she's off work for the next couple of weeks).

Any update? :D

Advertisement