Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

24 hour Cork?

Options
  • 20-08-2005 7:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hiya --

So we're moving to Cork from London in a few days. We've been lucky in London to live within 100 feet of a 24 hour store, which is brilliant for late-night fag runs. I know we're not going to have that after the move, but what's open latest in Cork? We're going to be on Dyke Parade in the city centre and will have to get used to stocking up, but for serious nicotine emergencies at 4 am, where can we go?

Oh, and we don't have a car, but if I'm desperate enough, I'll take a taxi. Yes, I'm an addict. Sad, sad, sad!

Cheers....

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

Your sorted if its where im thinking you are (near the Maradyke) there is an Esso station thats 24hr on Western Road. Also one just by the Capital Cinema if your stuck. Not that far either.Besides there is fag machines on some of the late pubs near there so you should be ok.

Nukem

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Sure and begorrah we're not that backward, there's plenty of 24 hour shops in Cork. I'm not sure about your area in particular but that garage we were all whining about previously is actually on Lancaster Quay, parallel to Dyke Parade, and that used to be 24 hour. There's several Centra's/Mace's/etc on Washinton Street and Grand Parade too, I'm sure one of them will be open 24 hours. (The one by the Queen's Old Castle definitely was up until a couple years ago, but I'm not so sure now.)

The only place I can actually say for certain is open 24 hours is Dunmahon Essso on the Douglas Road, cos that's where I go for fags in emergencies, but that's a tad out of your way. :)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Hells_Belle

Backwards? I only meant I didn't expect to have a 24-hour store on my doorstep... I was sure there were some in Cork, just didn't know where!

That's fantastic, thanks!

I was sure there were some in Cork, just didn't know where!
    Sorry, but you have to admit that "what's open latest in Cork" is a bit misleading.
    That's fantastic, thanks!
    No worries.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Out of interest, what has you moving to Cork???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

tescos in wilton and mahon point are 24 hour too, aren't they ?
    :rolleyes:

parasite wrote:
    Yip. I went shopping after 12 one night for the laugh but it was a waste of time, half the shelves were empty.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

parasite wrote:
    :rolleyes:

Went shopping there at 5/6 in the morning. Some aisle had empty shelves and other aisles had full shelves. We were the only ones there so all the staff stare at you. On the bright side it is self service at the till which is a bit fun when you get to swipe your food through the scanner.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

tesco does NOT sell fags after 10 or 11pm.

the esso garage around the corner does.

centra in town (oliver plunkett street) opens until 2 or 3. only 2x 24hr places in cork city...mahon point and wilton (in terms of shopping). in terms of buying fags/condoms/lucozade 24hr garages are around the place. i only know of the esso though.

gimmick wrote:
    Out of interest, what has you moving to Cork???

Well, a bunch of reasons. We made the decision to pack in London because yes, it's great, but we pay so much for the priviledge of having a home here that we can barely afford to walk out our front door. So being here is almost irrelevent since we don't get to enjoy it.

So we decided to pick somewhere else and just go, really. It had to be;

Urban - we're both city people, Mr Belle more than me;
    English speaking - I'm **** with other languages;
    Have an airport - gotta love those 10 euro airfares to strange and wonderful destinations!
    Have a uni - uni towns mean a young population average, good live music scene, often an arts community, and cheap beer...
    Walkable - we don't own a car and don't want to have to have one

Bristol, Edinburgh, Dublin and Cork were all considered, but ultimately decided to just pack in the UK and try Ireland. Dublin we've already been priced out of for house buying, so... Cork won :)

You may laugh -- we made this decision having never been to Cork. We started packing the house and booked the movers, and then I went to Cork last week to find a flat, which I did in 24 hours.

Are we mad as hatters? Ah well, you have to try things in life and have some adventures eh?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

Well sure we all speak de English here too, begorrah. Ye'll be grand, sure. And top of the morning to ye, begad. De ting us, when ye invaded us, ye made us speak de English. Ochon, ochon.

(Just kidding :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Well, a bunch of reasons. We made the decision to pack in London because yes, it's great, but we pay so much for the priviledge of having a home here that we can barely afford to walk out our front door. So being here is almost irrelevent since we don't get to enjoy it.

So we decided to pick somewhere else and just go, really. It had to be;

Have an airport - gotta love those 10 euro airfares to strange and wonderful destinations!
    Have a uni - uni towns mean a young population average, good live music scene, often an arts community, and cheap beer...
    Walkable - we don't own a car and don't want to have to have one

Bristol, Edinburgh, Dublin and Cork were all considered, but ultimately decided to just pack in the UK and try Ireland. Dublin we've already been priced out of for house buying, so... Cork won :)

You may laugh -- we made this decision having never been to Cork. We started packing the house and booked the movers, and then I went to Cork last week to find a flat, which I did in 24 hours.

Are we mad as hatters? Ah well, you have to try things in life and have some adventures eh?

Thast really cool. Im sure you will love the life the Peoples Republic will offer you. One thing you must learn though, a Cork person with an inferiority complex thinks he is the same as everyone else! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I also live on Dyke Parade, but I'm not giving out the house number, no siree.

The Esso station is open pretty late, I'm just not sure if it's 24 hour. But you're only going to be a 10 minute walk from the city centre. We've lived there for over 3 years, and I've hardly needed to take a taxi in all that time, it's so central.

Tesco Wilton is 24 hour, and it's a 10 minute drive away, even less late at night. I tend to do all my shopping around midnight as it's just so much quieter. Looking forward to meeting you neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

Nukem wrote:
    Your sorted if its where im thinking you are (near the Maradyke) there is an Esso station thats 24hr on Western Road. Also one just by the Capital Cinema if your stuck. Not that far either.Besides there is fag machines on some of the late pubs near there so you should be ok.

Nukem

that esso was for sale with CBRE a while back, maybe it still is, is it closing?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Probably, see here . Night time nicotine is getting further out of reach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

still though, the spar on washington st is open late and centra on grande parade. loads of late night pubs in and around washington village so it should all be ok.

when jurys opens they will prob have a ciggie machine somewhere.

Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Cork Hells_Belle. We are a cocky bunch of people, we support our own and now that you are moving here you will be made more than welcome. Thing is, Cork? You said Edinburgh was being considered as well, how did cork win out?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭jhegarty

just make sure you know who to support in the hurling and football !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

That esso is closing in the next few months or so a very reliable source has told me. (ie someone whose family manages the place/owns it I'm not sure).

*shrugs*

It'll be wilton for 24 hour shopping after the esso closes. My advice, stock up on cigarettes, or keep a pack of Drum/whatever and a few packs of papers for emergencies. :)

Edit: Oh and the Mardyke is really nice to live on. Central but quiet etc. I've enjoyed living here for the past 3 years, don't plan on moving any time soon!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 4,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nukem

No your just daft. Cork is class. Love travelling but always miss Cork.
    Nice place to live IMO.

Nukem

@Vector - yes you are right! Also as said i forgot about the one on East Washington St on the corner.

dudara, excellent, a neighbour! We're at #16 if you want to come stalk us!
    solice wrote:
    Welcome to the Peoples Republic of Cork Hells_Belle. We are a cocky bunch of people, we support our own and now that you are moving here you will be made more than welcome. Thing is, Cork? You said Edinburgh was being considered as well, how did cork win out?

Cork won over Edinburgh for the simple reason that my mother in law lives in Edinburgh :)

So all our furniture is now on a ferry on the way to Ireland, and will arrive Wednesday or Thursday. We arrive Tuesday night to wait for the movers to call and tell us when to hop down and open the house for them to move our stuff in.

Exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Excellent, I'll have to have a stalk around before you move in.

Advertisement