Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Just got a wireless router for my IBB connection. Can't get it to work!!

• 20-08-2005 7:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hey,

I really hope someone can help me with this.

I just bought a D-Link DSL-G604T wireless ADSL Router.

I go online normally with IBB Breeze.

I can connect to this router fine via my laptop (wireless connection.)

I have inputted all my IBB settings in the router (I set up a static connection with my IBB IP etc.)

My IBB Breeze modem is connected to the router (via the ethernet port.) In other words, instead of connecting the IBB modem to my laptop, it is now going to the router.

IBB -> Router -> Laptop.

The problem is... my router just will not connect to IBB.

Has anyone ever managed to get a wireless network working off their IBB connection?

This is so frustrating...

Any help/advice greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you.

Steve

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

The IBB needs to clone the MAC Address of the router. even if all settings are in correct you will need to power off the radio and the router and power them back up thats what i had to do with mine. when this is done the WAN status light on the router should be lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Yes I have restared both the router and IBB modem and it has made no difference.

If I try to do a ping test from the router all the packets get lost.

I have the routers WAN SETUP connection set to -

A static connection with my IBB details
    The modulation type is MMODE
    NAT and Firewall turned on
    Encapsulation set to LLC
    Mode is bridged
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38
    QoS: UBR
    PCR and SCR are blank

This looks OK?

Also, my router has a port called ADSL and 4 ethernet ports. Because my IBB ethernet cable is too large to fit into the routers ADSL port, I have put it into one of the ethernet ports.

Could this be causing the problem??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

1) Your ethernet cable shouldn't fit into the ADSL port as an RJ45 cable cant fit into a RJ11 port

Jakkass wrote:
    1) Your ethernet cable shouldn't fit into the ADSL port as an RJ45 cable cant fit into a RJ11 port

So is it OK if I plug my IBB ethernet cable into the routers ethernet ports to make my internet connection?

Is the ADSL port there...just in case...I'm using a phone line??

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

dublindude wrote:
    So is it OK if I plug my IBB ethernet cable into the routers ethernet ports to make my internet connection?

Is the ADSL port there...just in case...I'm using a phone line??
    Just curious; what possessed you to get an ADSL modem/router for IBB?

BTW, I don't know if this'll work, but you might try using the IBB connection as a Gateway in your pc settings, treat it like it's another computer on the network.

CuLT wrote:
    Just curious; what possessed you to get an ADSL modem/router for IBB?

It's wireless, so I can have a wireless network in my flat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

is the cable from the IBB box a crossover cable? maybe u need a regular cable or vice versa.

dublindude wrote:
    It's wireless, so I can have a wireless network in my flat.

Yeah, but it's an ADSL modem, I got a router myself only a month or two ago. Ther were two models of Linksys to choose from, Router or ADSL modem/Router.
    I figured, "I don't have ADSL, therefore don't get an ADSL modem/router".

The_B_Man wrote:
    is the cable from the IBB box a crossover cable? maybe u need a regular cable or vice versa.

The cable from the IBB box is a standard ethernet cable.

I have a feeling the router I bought has misled me somewhat, and is not actually a router, but is supposed to be used as a replacement for my modem (when what I really want is something which plugs into my modem and just makes things wireless...)

• Advertisement

CuLT wrote:
    Yeah, but it's an ADSL modem, I got a router myself only a month or two ago. Ther were two models of Linksys to choose from, Router or ADSL modem/Router.
    I figured, "I don't have ADSL, therefore don't get an ADSL modem/router".

Yeah, I think you're right.

I was assuming the packing was just being "retard friendly" when they mentioned ADSL.

It does say (all over the box in big writing) "WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER KIT" which I assumed by "kit" they meant it would cover many wireless scenarios...

dublindude wrote:
    Yeah, I think you're right.

I was assuming the packing was just being "retard friendly" when they mentioned ADSL.

It does say (all over the box in big writing) "WIRELESS ADSL ROUTER KIT" which I assumed by "kit" they meant it would cover many wireless scenarios...
    Aye, gotta be careful. In fact now that I think about it, I actually consulted one of the guys in Peats (where I bought the router) about it, telling him that I had IBB, making very explicit that it wasn't ADSL, and he didn't have anything to say about which I should go for.
    I just ended up thinking about it for a bit and decided a modem would make things complicated. With a normal router its IBB Box -> Router -> Other computers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

just use it in the ethernet port it should be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 288 ✭✭gordonnet

the router you have appears to have an integrated adsl modem for irish broadband this is not required as the box has a type of one built into it. what you should buy is one which has no built in modem the model in peats is:

Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router with Speedbooster

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8139&type=6&path=12x124x6646

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

gordonnet wrote:

I have the above router. Works perfectly with my IBB Breeze connection. Doddle to setup. Microaid.ie have it cheaper than peats btw...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

gordonnet wrote:
    the router you have appears to have an integrated adsl modem for irish broadband this is not required as the box has a type of one built into it. what you should buy is one which has no built in modem the model in peats is:

Linksys Wireless G Broadband Router with Speedbooster

http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/shop/db.cgi?view=1&id=8139&type=6&path=12x124x6646
    This is the one i have on IBB 15mins setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Jakkass wrote:
    just use it in the ethernet port it should be fine
    Doesn't there need to be one designated as the 'WAN' connection for this to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

yea think thats the prob. The incoming connection port is for a ASDL cable and not a ethernet cable.

This is the one i have on IBB 15mins setup.
    Me three ;)

Advertisement