Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESAT BT Speed problems

• 20-08-2005 8:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

For teh past month ive been having problems playing games online. I get seriously bad lag. Only recently that ive been playing BF2 that I noticed that its
    really bad on that. So I decided to run a speed test on my line via http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

848kbs download and 72.3kbs upload.

Im on the 1mb package. Do these figures seem bad? Ive just never seen them
    this low so Im thinking its my upload speed that is really lagging me in games.

Im currently in Palemrstown.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

For teh past month ive been having problems playing games online. I get seriously bad lag. Only recently that ive been playing BF2 that I noticed that its
    really bad on that. So I decided to run a speed test on my line via http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed/

848kbs download and 72.3kbs upload.

Im on the 1mb package. Do these figures seem bad? Ive just never seen them
    this low so Im thinking its my upload speed that is really lagging me in games.

Im currently in Palemrstown.

That shít upload speed seems to be inherent in BT BB(mine is just as low)....but that download is perfectly fine for 1Mbit/s.

I think BT needs to be contacted over that crap upload speed as it can have detiorating effects on your overall connection!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

im on 2mb and my upload is just touching 106k, for 2mb its awfull

i could understand 128k up and 512kdown but on 1mb and 2mb its like giving someone a ferrari with a 30kmh speed restrictor

id prefer if bt had it at 1mb-256k and 2mb 512k

but we all know why, because eircom know if it was like that they would lose buisness due to voip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Henry O'Henry

I'm on 2mb & getting 1690k down & 88.4k up.
    Wish somebody would get their act together so that we coluld all tell B*** ***T & Eircon exactly where to put their broad bands!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

oh thanks guys. I guess im not alone. First ill complain about the speed and
    if nothing can be done ill just upgrade to the next package I guess..

Its so frustrating though. I cant play any of my games on line because I get
    all sorts of lag. Id be rubber-banding the hole time.

I just uploaded to an FTP server(not located in Ireland) and was getting 12-13KByte/s.

Its possible that irishisptest.com just isnt measurinf the upload properly?!?!

Sparky_S
    Im not holding out for any upload increases until Smart do the same and scare eircom into copying them as was done with the download upgrades.
    The €5 a month extra for 256k that smart have isnta standard package and thus is of little concern to eircom.
    If Smarts LLU problems are ever sorted then, as is currently happening in the UK, we might see progress....but I suggest people get cosy with our 1m/128k and 2m/128k connections as we might have them for a number of more years!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

BlackWizard, I'm on BT IOLBB on the Palmerstown exchange and I'm getting 860/104 on the 1mb product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

done that test
    download speed is 1.96mbps
    upload is 103kbps
    QoS is 95%
    round trip time is 28ms
    max pause is 61ms

Sparky_S wrote:
    done that test
    download speed is 1.96mbps
    upload is 103kbps
    QoS is 95%
    round trip time is 28ms
    max pause is 61ms

What ISP are you with as there is no way its an eircom bitstream with 1.96mbps???
    No one on eircom bitstream has yet hit the 1.8mbps mark and I routinely get 1.72mbps.

Advertisement