Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Some issue in Croom?

Options
  • 20-08-2005 11:15pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭

Any Irish speakers here watching the Nuacht just now (11pm Saturday)? I was just passing through and noticed a piece about a school in Croom which Eircom are refusing to connect to, I assume, DSL. Thought IrelandOffline might want to drop them a line to: a) possibly help out; and b) piggyback on their coverage.

adam

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Pity Dell can't share some of their bandwidth over a wireless link. (It'd be a logistical, and legal, nightmare).

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Eircoms sole concern is profit(to pay off their investors in dividends)!!!

They are even willing to take this PR cut so that everything is rosy for their investors!!!

Sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

From the Irish Examiner
    “We have satellite broadband, but this is totally inadequate as at any one time between classroom and computer rooms we could have more than 500 users trying to access broadband. said principal Noel Malone.
    So the solution is.... give them another Satellite (They will be expected to disable their existing Sat)
    From the Schools Broadband Scheme
    Colaiste Chiarain, Croom Co. Limerick, Satellite, Smart Telecom

and for the community...... well, give them a satellite too

From the DCMNR CGBS
    Limerick Croom, Co. Limerick, Croom Broadband, Ildana Teoranta, FWA/Sat

Maybe they could get somebody to weld all the satellites together, then they could get speeds approaching dialup

There is no LOS from Dell to Croom for a wirelss link

Each First Year Student can avail of a special Laptop offer from Dell @ €1150
    Dunnes Stores however, who did'nt donate 70 Laptops, have a fine Laptop on special offer @ €699.99
    Do the math (and you dont need a laptop to do it)

Its just the cynic in me :D

jbkenn

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jbkenn wrote:
    Each First Year Student can avail of a special Laptop offer from Dell @ €1150
    Dunnes Stores however, who did'nt donate 70 Laptops, have a fine Laptop on special offer @ €699.99
    Do the math (and you dont need a laptop to do it)

Might be, but what about the specs of one and the other machine. I assume, they are not the same.

/Marlow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Marlow wrote:
    Might be, but what about the specs of one and the other machine. I assume, they are not the same.

/Marlow

I assume those laptops are the latitude business variants as the average 1st year is still pretty small and carrying around a chunky 3/4kg cheapo laptop would not be good for their backs!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭jbkenn

Marlow wrote:

/Marlow

School deal Dell Latitude D510

Dunnes deal Fujitsu Siemens AMILO L7300

I am personally aware of the magnificent achievements on a "shoestring" of Principal Noel Malone and his Deputy Principal, who has driven the project from day one, and indeed, the achievements of their next door neighbour, the Principal in the National School, with an even smaller "shoestring".

jbkenn

Advertisement