Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dakota (Queer Beers) - the aftermath

Options
  • 20-08-2005 11:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭

Well, I didn't LITERALLY get told to f*ck off; I got "Sorry, regulars only tonight", a wonderful euphamism for "f*ck off" which works even on the pope; after all, the pope is not a regular. Timid ikkle me didn't argue, obviously. This is the first time that's actually happened to me in this country, though admittedly I generally frequent only gay bars and bars where nerds congregate, and I usually go in with other people.

I'm not sure if the reason was my age (I'm 20, but youngish looking), my nervousness (nervous about event/nervous about entering intimidating bar with intimidating bouncer) or my comparitive scruffiness; I tried, I really did, to dress reasonably (jeans and tshirt; I didn't see anything wrong with them), but I'm not good at that and don't really have the clothes for it.

Turns out I was lucky last Queer Beers at Dragon, when I was merely interrogated as to whether or not I was gay. Presumably for Queer Beers 3 I'll be held down and shot by police for wearing an imaginary bulky jacket.

Anyway, next time, can we try and do it somewhere a little less fussy/snobby (any of the gay bars would work, or just anywhere less fussy) or at least warn people in advance about the venue's little hang-ups regarding attire?

Possibly I should have gone in a group of people, in the hope that their incredible stylishness would so dazzle the bouncer he'd overlook my dowdyness.

Anyway, I can't be the only one who didn't get in, can I? I was excited the whole day and took 2.5hrs getting in and back, for the privilege of recieving an impersonal, corporate insult from a bouncer? Grr. I'm all sad now; I don't get out much at the best of times :(

EDIT: ****, I should have read the whole thread/googled before going; I never really had a chance. What precisely is the correct attire for one of these places, anyway?

FUTHER EDIT: Sorry for ranty thread; I'm a little upset and feeling rejected.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I had a problem getting into the Bar as well, although I dont think that it was my attire but my footware. I was wearing a stylish pair of white leather shoes and the bouncer was convinced they were runners and declined to let me in. Please let us know in future if there are going to be any hang ups to do with attire etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Heya, yeah that was a problem on the night. I don't think it was anything personal due to your age, dress sense, unwillingness to submit to detailed interrogation and examination of rectum contents etc. ;) From what I could see, the place became extremely jointed later in the night and the bouncers were using that excuse to thin the crowd.

It's a pity you didn't ask for a mobile no. for Liouville or one of the mods, as a few other people got stopped with the same excuse, and Liouville was able to go out and bring them in. Did you try mentioning to the bouncers that you had seats reserved inside?

Anyway, hard luck. Maybe 3rd time you'll get lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

How was the night?

It was pretty good I thought.

These are the boards users I remember turning up (the following celebrities are gay):

carbonkid
    ixoy
    myself
    liouville
    azezil
    roberto
    moridin
    highdef
    Tcamen (he's a bitch when he's drunk, and myself and Liouville will be changing or sigs to reflect that :p).
    Talleisin
    Kodak
    hazimel
    swiss

And some other people who either didn't have usernames or whose usernames I didn't know.

Good craic overall I thought. Apart from that stupid "top 5 celebrity shags" game.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Matthewthebig

Talleisin is gay? madness

i was thinking of going but i went out last night and parents ya know

i want to see pics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Well, as long as I wasn't the only one :P

Nah, was far too intimidated to try arguing.

Maybe next time will work outbetter...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,488 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Sorry you didn't get in. Oh, and I was just wondering about this:
    rsynnott wrote:
    Turns out I was lucky last Queer Beers at Dragon, when I was merely interrogated as to whether or not I was gay. Presumably for Queer Beers 3 I'll be held down and shot by police for wearing an imaginary bulky jacket.

Does this really happen? I'd no idea a gay bay would not believe someone they were gay! And I thought straight people were allowed in anyway. Are you a guy or a girl? Cause I know a load of straight girls who go to these places.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

thats bizare, they let me in in what i was wearing! lol
    Well they did stop me for ID, I just said "sorry i don't carry any i'm 25..." bouncer just said, "ah right fair enough" heh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I had runners on me and had no problem getting in - Then again, I came in by the rear entrance and there were no bouncers there.
    Was a good night - Different alright but once I got a few pints in to me, I was nice and relaxed> Nice crowd and all seem to be nice people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

People get stopped going into pubs and clubs the whole time. This time it happened to be you. I've had that excuse thrown at me before too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

Agreed - I wasn't exactly dressed up last night. Place was relatively empty when I arrived and only really started to fill up after about 9pm. I guess it was just bad luck. It happens to most people at some stage. Shame though after all the effort you'd put in to coming all the way out. Really don't blame you at all for being so pissed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lol Rsynnott I bet you really do feel ticked off. Especially for you particpation in the feedback thread last week.

dory wrote:
    Does this really happen? I'd no idea a gay bay would not believe someone they were gay! And I thought straight people were allowed in anyway. Are you a guy or a girl? Cause I know a load of straight girls who go to these places.

Nah, I'm male.
    WDK wrote:
    Lol Rsynnott I bet you really do feel ticked off. Especially for you particpation in the feedback thread last week.

Yes, I feel like going back and posting a refutation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Lol no hard feelings eh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

Oy, Stark, myself and markw999 were there too, we were the two late arrivals :)

Had no trouble getting in myself, that sucks rsynnott :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Boberto

Had a good time myself. :) One of the ones that actually stayed there all night! Good craic...

By the by, I didn't get to talk to everyone so I promise to do so (or make a better attempt) for the next one :)

I have the following to say:
    - Stark, you're a wubbly guy
    - Getting hailed instantly by azezil was as frightening as it was flattering that someone recognised me :)
    - Talliesin, talking internets with you was tres cool
    - highdef, keep them car doors locked
    - LiouVille, must have a proper decent chat with ya next time, and cheers for pushing and basically organising this yoke yerself :D

Oy, Stark, myself and markw999 were there too, we were the two late arrivals :)

Woops sorry about that. Was listing people off from an image of the table I had in my mind and forgot to account for people not there at that particular moment :)

It was good meeting you, how did the angrypotato meetup go?

Went well! It's usually easy to tell when I arrive in a building, as things tend to happen such as everyone at the aP meetup last night getting covered in fluorescent orange stickers . . . :)

Although I spotted two evil (and one of them actually WAS scary scary druggie psycho evil) exes of mine, thank god for being with a big group!! :rolleyes:

I just joined the forum myself to see what the fuss is about (I'm under the username redbulljunkie there, I saw a few gaycork people so I thought I might as well use my gaycork username :) ).

• Advertisement

Ahh, just spotted ya on the online users list :p I'm D_C over there. I am the, em *ahem* disgusting post-whore of the forum there . . . :cool:

Hmm, I'm curious, is there actually anyone else around here (or at the meet in particular) who's on the good Spud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Sorry to hear you got refused. In fairness the bouncers where very bang on and you can't fault them for what was clearly a management decision. They simply stoped letting people in after about 10, I couldn't even get two of my friends in. I did manage to blag a couple of the lads past the security, but that was about it. He wouldn't let me do it twice so bah, probably couldn't have helped you. It's a saturday night in dublin, most places are going to be similiar, even the gay bars.

I really enjoyed myself and was very impressed at the turn out, think about 25 - 30 people showed. I got twisted on cosmo's, sorry for leaving early.

Tcamen - You so funny.

Hmm, was there a bit before 10, people were still going in; I think I may have just been a bit disreputable-looking. Or possibly it was the nervousness *shrug*

Or it could have been the paranoia ;)

Yes, the nervousness was a direct offshoot of the paranoia. I'm still all disappointed about this (I don't exactly get much of a social life right now)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Tcamen - You so funny.

Don't forget I'm a lesbian too. :rolleyes:

I'd forgotthen that whole, "I thought you where a lesbian" thing. It's the whole i want you bad but i can't have you thing, I swear ;).

bit tired at the moment, so Probably give a decent reply tomorrow.

As far as letting people in goes, it's a risk you take when you leave the venue open to a poll. That said it was saturday night, I can't really see what we could have done differently, or what we should do next time to prevent this from arrising, bar having it during the week, and that would hit numbers hugely. I doubt having it in a gay bar would have made any difference cause I've seen people refused into front lounge cause it was packed.

bottom line is, having talked to the obuncers that night more then once, it was sweet fa to do with you, and more the fact if you'd arrive a half hour earlier you would have walked straight in.

Ps I think having it in a straight bar worked grand tbh, I don't think anyone felt uncomfortable being there as a result, and the music was very decent towards the end of the night.

*shrug* Okay then. I'll try and arrive earlier next time; may also google beforehand (quick Google for dakota dublin gives a few mentions of strict door policy, and such).

I'm not criticising choice of venue, btw, sorry if it came out that way. I'm more annoyed with myself for not investigating beforehand/arranging to go in in a group/something.

• Advertisement

Thread got a bit spammy for my liking, possibly to the exclusion of people not partaking in private conversation stuff. Split to "the cuckoo's nest" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=293596

Advertisement