Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we being set up?

Options
  • 21-08-2005 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Got a visit today from a young Israeli Student selling paintings. Claimed to be from an organisation Art 4 all. The lady came into our house to show the painting on a wall. We bought a painting and paid by cheque. The lady took our details and said that her parent organisation will be in touch later to offer a framing service.

I felt a bit unsettled about the whole affair so I googled around. There's not much about Art4All ltd. but the following hits made me feel uneasy:

http://www.art4allhome.com/ (Apart from the amateurish nature of the page none of the links go anywhere)
    http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/nat_6.html (Read to the end, Sounds to me like someone has been got at)

Also note the following disclaimer from a legitimate company of the same name:
    http://www.art4all.co.uk/about.htm

Now I am very worried that all is not as it seems and that this lady may be working for some kind of Israeli Mafia. I couldn't care less about the money we paid for the painting but I am worrried that a dubious organisation has a lot of personal details about us including where we live, what our house is like inside plus all of the details you get on a cheque.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd before. What are the risks? What steps can we take now to protect ourselves?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I read all about this on the net some time ago. Google Israeli student art picture and you might find some good info.

A lot of this type of thing happened in the States. Travelling on false passports etc. Basically they were reckoned to be spies 'targeting' people with links to sensitive organisations, government departments etc. Does anyone in your house fit this description?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭LundiMardi

Duped wrote:
    Got a visit today from a young Israeli Student selling paintings. Claimed to be from an organisation Art 4 all. The lady came into our house to show the painting on a wall. We bought a painting and paid by cheque. The lady took our details and said that her parent organisation will be in touch later to offer a framing service.

I felt a bit unsettled about the whole affair so I googled around. There's not much about Art4All ltd. but the following hits made me feel uneasy:

http://www.art4allhome.com/ (Apart from the amateurish nature of the page none of the links go anywhere)
    http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/nat_6.html (Read to the end, Sounds to me like someone has been got at)

Also note the following disclaimer from a legitimate company of the same name:
    http://www.art4all.co.uk/about.htm

Now I am very worried that all is not as it seems and that this lady may be working for some kind of Israeli Mafia. I couldn't care less about the money we paid for the painting but I am worrried that a dubious organisation has a lot of personal details about us including where we live, what our house is like inside plus all of the details you get on a cheque.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd before. What are the risks? What steps can we take now to protect ourselves?
    wtf? Who in gods name lets strangers in their house selling paintings, especially one that excepts cheques:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Check this link out. Hope you are not too paranoid. eek.gif

http://cryptome.org/dea-il-spy.htm

If you think this scenario applies to you, let the 'authorities' know.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

the op is a c + p of a story going round the net at the mo

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Interesting link Esel and yes that is very like what happened to us. I guess I am paranoid - but then these days you have to be. The whole thing sounds like something out of a spy thriller. If it is actually a front for the Israelli intelligence I guess I am not overly worried - We aren't sensitive Government employees or anything like that. I do feel spooked though and I would love to hear if anyone else had any dealings with this Art4All crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

A polish girl came to our house a while ago selling drawings. Don't know if it's related. I didn't buy any. They were good drawings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I had a Polish Guy yesterday call to the door with paintings. He was all smiles until I said No, then he suddenly looked all annoyed! I thought it was a bit strange. But I suppose it beats those people that knock on your door and just jold out a piece of card sayting that they can't speak English etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

Some girl called to us as well selling paintings. I wouldn't worry about it, fair play for buying one though...

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

*shrugs*

While Ireland has a notorious history haven of anti-semitism: (I'm not joking). I find the idea of Israeli spies calling door to door amusing.

Seriously, some people are just a tad on the paranoid side. And even if they are right, I don't see what the big deal is. What are they looking for? Hidden nazis? Adolf O'Flynn down the road might be in trouble, but it's hardly anything to get worked up about tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Is1ldur wrote:
    I had a Polish Guy yesterday call to the door with paintings. He was all smiles until I said No, then he suddenly looked all annoyed! I thought it was a bit strange. But I suppose it beats those people that knock on your door and just jold out a piece of card sayting that they can't speak English etc...
    Someone did that to me a while ago & I handed them back the paper & told them I couldn't read... They were pretty quick to tell me where to go & jump in English

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I don't see the harm in buying the paintings but infairness, don't give strangers personal details and always pay for things like that with cash.
    trishw78 wrote:
    Someone did that to me a while ago & I handed them back the paper & told them I couldn't read...

Quality response!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,431 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Not a PI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Zapho wrote:
    I don't see the harm in buying the paintings but infairness, don't give strangers personal details and always pay for things like that with cash.

Not really you can say what you like but this is illegal. You need a permit to sell door to door for a reason. I have elderly relatives that live on their own and they are commonly targeted by such door to door sales and intimidation. There is little difference between this and begging plus the risks. I call the police the minute they leave my drive. I welcome any imigrant coming to work here but if they are here without language skills and start begging/selling illegally they can go home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 daniem

Hallo,

I am very sorry to hear some of our customers have the feeling that they have been misled. I can assure you that we are doing everything we can in order to present to each of our customers all the information about the company and about the paintings they buy.

I invite each one of you to send me an e-mail directly in case you still feel that way. I will make sure that in case we did something wrong as a company to you as consumers, you will be compensated.

We are aware of the fact that many other people who are selling art door to door present themself as our representatives. Those people sometimes tell wrong stories about what they sell (Even that they actually are the artist!!). That's why I recommend you to buy only from people who can show you an employee tag (yes, all our employees have it as well as a work permit...), a business card or any other printed document with the company details, a refund voucher (by law you are antitled to get a 7 days cancellation form!!!) and an I.d.

I Invite you to visit our company at any time. We will be more than happy to show you what we are doing because we are proud of our business.

Our website is www.art4allhome.com and my email is danielmoshe@art4allhome.com

Moshe Daniel
    Director

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

daniem wrote:
    That's why I recommend you to buy only from people who can show you an employee tag (yes, all our employees have it as well as a work permit...),

You lot are not entitled to work permits so thats BS anyway and this is a very old thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

Something about this was on Joe Duffy some time ago, or some similar kind of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have had this happen about 3 times. Not from any particular company though. One was about a local exhibition but they did not mention where or when. All paintings etc were good. Actually a really beautiful girl who was possibly French knocked once but did not try and sell me anything... I told her i cant afford a painting right now but she smiled and said thats ok i just want you to look. She went through them and said thank you and then she left.

Anyway my advice would have been... Buy it sure but take the painting there and then and tell them you will frame it yourself. If they object.. then send them away without your money :D
    While it may be legit in this case... its more likely a scam.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

wow this is a old thread, is their really a need to drag up old threads like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

lol just noticed that its from 2005? Jaysus!! looks like it was brought back to life by the rep from said company!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 boredsenseless

Saruman wrote:
    lol just noticed that its from 2005? Jaysus!! looks like it was brought back to life by the rep from said company!

It appears this thread was brought back to life coz they're back in Dublin. I had a visit from one of the "art4allhome" reps in the last few days, and...Yes...I did buy a painting. However, I'm now wondering if I've been had, should I be worried as the rep was inside my house with my family, and I didn't take the cash option?.. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

have one of you walls painted with big PLO murals and propaganda, see how they react to that:D
    (Although that would be a fairly elaborate insult!)

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭knighted

keep people informed what area they are currently operating in -if u have old or infirm relatives in a particular area it might be usefull to know -

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Those packets of drawings (usually of sentimental subjects, puppies and kittens) that people produce at the door, usually with a sad tale of being or wanting to be an art student, are PRINTS. If you want to buy a sentimental print then fine, but don't get the idea that they are original drawings.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mir2001

Hi I've seen these paintings and they are definitely NOT prints. However I was very unsure about their origins although they were presented as originals. I was reading a BBC article on how chinese art students are churning out copies a & saw one of the paintings hanging on the studio wall of a copier. The seller presented this painting as an original. Also, if you look at the website and look at the names of the artists you will realise all the surnames are actually firstnames.
    Their paintings look good but the problem is that they are represented as originals when they are probably copies created by artists who receive very little of the sale price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭bullrunner

I cant believe some people...

Giving out private information about themselves to some randomer who calls to their door selling stuff?? And letting them into the house? Have ya no cop on at all?

If anybody comes to my door selling paintings or any other crap i move them along asap...i dont invite them in. Has there not been enough tv/radio shows like watchdog/ Gerry Ryan etc warning people about this kinda thing??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Ah they called to my house and I just said the owners were away and I was looking after it. She didnt seem to bothered by that.

Another fella called up to a friends house. Her ma invited him in for a cup of coffee and he told his life story. The eejit told him that they were going of on a family holiday (and she even gave the date!) and stuff. She didnt buy a painting, but I wouldnt be supprised if he raided the house when they were gone.

Btw, I dont think they are spys. Seriously. Have some cop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 beanflick

People,
    It happened to me tonight big long spiel painting were class.bought 4 of them 400 euro,a friend who happened to be a cop called round and filled me in on the scam i also googled door to door painting scams and came across the real story on that letstalk money site........
    The painting are from china and while they are oil paintings they cost 5 dollars each....
    I managed to find the girl and get my money back but please beware people!!!!!
    Hope this help someone
    http://www.canvaz.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

Hi guys,

An Isreali girl came to my door selling paintings, and saw 2 i liked and I bought them. She asked could she come inside and show me the paints, the idiot that I am, I let her in. I bought the paintings, and to be quite honest, she seemed to know little about painting, and she had a great sales pitch about her.
    I didn't pay cash, I paid my cheque.

I have a bad feeling about this, should I freeze my cheque until I know something else, should I call Gardai and ask them about it?
    Let me know what you think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,639 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Jaysus, the paintings must be good if so many of you bought them!

Advertisement