Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are we being set up?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

Just phoned Gardai, they haven't heard anything about it, but recommended I cancel my cheque. I just looked at the signatures on the paints, very generic names and signed in generic way. Boys and girls me thinks I have been had.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,532 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The paintings scam is a different one to the one I came across. Polish/Lithuanian/Czech random east european people (well I've had 2 call) claiming to be art students offering their own work were selling what looked like pencil drawings, but were in fact prints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Kattyboy25

Well these are lovely oil paintings, really really nice, but they aren't genuine pieces of art. Cheap copies from China. Ah well!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dr. Seuss

Duped wrote:
    Got a visit today from a young Israeli Student selling paintings. Claimed to be from an organisation Art 4 all. The lady came into our house to show the painting on a wall. We bought a painting and paid by cheque. The lady took our details and said that her parent organisation will be in touch later to offer a framing service.

I felt a bit unsettled about the whole affair so I googled around. There's not much about Art4All ltd. but the following hits made me feel uneasy:

http://www.art4allhome.com/ (Apart from the amateurish nature of the page none of the links go anywhere)
    http://www.jewishtelegraph.com/nat_6.html (Read to the end, Sounds to me like someone has been got at)

Also note the following disclaimer from a legitimate company of the same name:
    http://www.art4all.co.uk/about.htm

Now I am very worried that all is not as it seems and that this lady may be working for some kind of Israeli Mafia. I couldn't care less about the money we paid for the painting but I am worrried that a dubious organisation has a lot of personal details about us including where we live, what our house is like inside plus all of the details you get on a cheque.

Has anyone dealt with this crowd before. What are the risks? What steps can we take now to protect ourselves?
    I don't understand the problem - you got a painting - you paid for it. And? How were you "duped" exactly? And what does it matter now if they were Israeli spies or not - you got what you paid for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

its a painting

its painted

you liked it ...even if you paid over the odds

so its not _really_ a scam .

Lithuanian 'Charity' clothes collection where no charity ever benefits. Thats a scam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

A foreign guy called to the house a few weeks back selling paintings - only my wife there at the time, he was extremely pleasant until she said quite graciously 'No thank you' - He was ignorant as hell - just stormed off...

Saying that (on a kinda related issue) we had a young girl call to our house a couple of times inside a few months collecting for Gorta - with the dodgyest id I've ever seen - She was a Dub - had that Trinity look to her - well dressed, heavy scarf and well spoken... She was collecting cash and the wife gave her a fiver - I had a bad feeling about it and rang Gorta - they didn't have anyone collecting in the area!

Added to the fact, they told me most Charities DON'T seek cash on a doorstep, they actually avoid looking for door-to-door contributions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Sceitimini

Well, did anyone get broken into afterwards?
    Glad to see I'm not the only feckin eejit to let a complete stranger into my house. I didn't buy a painting but she asked if I had a television which i found a bit weird so I'm hoping she wasn't casing the place. She's bound to have been sorely disappointed if she was but still, ........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 belfastlass

hi i just had a visit last night from an israeli guy selling oil painting,i did purchase 4 all i would like to know is did they call back for them to be framed .
    I cannot complain about the paintings as i was happy with my choice and did not expect originals for the price i paid i bought them simply because i liked them and i paid cash so not to give out personal information..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joey17

hi,

has anyone had any bad experiences after having any of these people visit? I stupidly let someone in and now I am really worried about who the hell I have let in, and if I am about to be burgled....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 joey17

hi,

has anyone had any bad experiences after having any of these people visit? I stupidly let someone in and now I am really worried about who the hell I have let in, and if I am about to be burgled....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,322 ✭✭✭✭Esel

joey17 wrote: »
    hi,

You've no reason to be worried - afaik there have been no reports of anything like that!

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

I bought 1 painting last year and 3 only just last week. They said they would call out this week to frame them.

Before they called out to frame the pictures I logged onto their website to check out and pick what frames I'd like.

They arrived out last night, I told them what frames I'd like, they brought them in from the van with some other frames they said would look good with each picture.

They framed all my pictures and I couldn't be happier with the results! :)

I really don't know how some of the previous posters sleep at night, spies! lol! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭sticker

GigaByte wrote: »
    I bought 1 painting last year and 3 only just last week. They said they would call out this week to frame them.

Before they called out to frame the pictures I logged onto their website to check out and pick what frames I'd like.

They arrived out last night, I told them what frames I'd like, they brought them in from the van with some other frames they said would look good with each picture.

They framed all my pictures and I couldn't be happier with the results! :)

I really don't know how some of the previous posters sleep at night, spies! lol! :D

On two occasions in the past month I've had people arrive on my doorstep selling paintings. I politely said I wasn't interested and both times, they shot me the darkest look, and buggered off muttering profanity.

I wouldn't buy from these idiots if my life depended on it. It's not a scam but the few I've encountered are ignorant as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

lol

weird to stumble across this thread. met some folk from this bunch a while back. must say the girl was smoking hot. told em i didnt wanna buy ne paintings but they were more than welcome to come in and have a cup of tea. had a pleasant chat about israel and then they left. now i find out they were spies! dammit to hell :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Tristram wrote: »
    lol

must say the girl was smoking hot. told em i didnt wanna buy ne paintings but they were more than welcome to come in and have a cup of tea. had a pleasant chat about israel and then they left. now i find out they were spies! dammit to hell :D

haha mee too :) had her talking for about half an hour and didn't buy any :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭GigaByte

Tristram wrote: »
    lol

weird to stumble across this thread. met some folk from this bunch a while back. must say the girl was smoking hot. told em i didnt wanna buy ne paintings but they were more than welcome to come in and have a cup of tea. had a pleasant chat about israel and then they left. now i find out they were spies! dammit to hell :D

Yeah the girl who called to my house was very hot too!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

Something must be done to stop these hot Israeli female spies from calling to our homes! I'll get on to Joe Duffy tomorrow. Support be brothers!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Dia dhuit

My very non-streetwise Dad recently purchased a painting from the aforementioned "smoking-hot israeli girl". A week later he gets a call from her associate talking about framing the picture. We were all in shock when he told us that he paid up front for the framing which the guy would come back to do in a few days when he gets the frame.

My Dad let the guy into his house so now he knows the contents and i when i asked him did he let it slip that they were going on holidays soon, he said he thinks he might have. :eek::eek::eek:

I know, it was painful to hear.....

The guy said he would return today to frame my Dad, i mean the painting.

After googling some conspiracy theory stuff on this art4all crowd, i am cautiously concerned. Has anyone else recently done something as similarly daft as my naive old man? And if so , (a) did the guy come back , and (b) should i be worried that he will come back again and take the painting along with some household valuables?

Advertisement