Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien hominid: more fun than a barrel of nude supermodels (maybe)

Options
  • 21-08-2005 12:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭

www.alienhominid.com
    All i can say is wow, this game is seriously fun. Its a side scrolling shooter with hand drawn animation and graphics for anone who hasnt seen it, so for fans of gunstar heroes, metal slug, etc this is definitelty for you.
    Another thing that i find seriously cool about it is, the entire game was funded, developed and released by a small group of guys who originally made the game as a flash game on newgrounds.com, almost like the anti-EA.
    I got the game second hand for 29 quid...best money ive spent in ages. The mini game of 'super soviet misslie mastar' is worth the price alone, if just to launch a soviet missile at america and see a giant 'PWNED' pop up on the map of the states :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Played it on newgrounds ages ago... damn hard. Has it retained its incredible difficulty on the console?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

yeah its pretty damn hard, but good fun. Its (according to the website) built from the ground up and alot cooler than the webgame. (never played the webgame myself but the graphics on the consoles are really lovely)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

apparently so

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

uard games often give me controller tantrums. But I'll keep a look out for it. Reviews seem to make it sound like a fun enough little game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

just after ordering it off ebay...
    it'd better be good!

• Advertisement

tman wrote:
    just after ordering it off ebay...
    it'd better be good!
    Or else?

From what ive dabbled, its good for a quick pick-up-and-play... i wouldnt be tempted to stay the course though

tman trust me if you like old school 2d scrolling shooters this game is just brilliant. I feel its my duty to support these guys now lol../me orders super soviet missile mastar t-shirt

Rhyme wrote:
    Or else?

From what ive dabbled, its good for a quick pick-up-and-play... i wouldnt be tempted to stay the course though
    meh... guess i'll be slightly miffed at Deadwing for a day or two...

€27 inc p&p for a new gamecube copy seems alright to me :)
    i'm starting to feel bad for not ordering off them directly though

tman wrote:
    meh... guess i'll be slightly miffed at Deadwing for a day or two...

€27 inc p&p for a new gamecube copy seems alright to me :)
    Damn straight... go with it, some of the bosses look hilarious

the butterscotch pudding boss..f*cking classic :D
    tman...you couldnt stay mad at me ;)
    /flutters eyelids

• Advertisement

good stuff. definitely sounds like the kind of thing i'd enjoy :)
    hope this arrives in time for my hols in september... (most people would leave the country for a week in search of hotter climes. not me though. a week of catching up with my sadly neglected gamecube will do just fine!)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I want this... played a bit of the PS2 version in work. Sweeeeeeeeet. ;)

get it kirby!
    /shakes fist
    get itttttttttt!!!!
    ;)

go on kirb!
    it's what all the cool kids are doing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

had this a while now on the xbox

its really cool
    but DAMN hard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭TheAlmightyArse

I think I saw GameStop knocking a tenner off the price of this recently (bringing it to €30 for the PS2 version). I think I'll have a bit of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Picked up Ps2 version today, shall report back post haste.

6/10 on EG tho.

kdjac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Have it on the GC. Have to say I'm a little disappointed. It's good fun but no where near the standards of Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug or other great games in the genre. It' also quite easy compared to these games. My advice is to pick up Contra Shattered Soldier, Metal Slug 3-5 and then if you must, get Alien Hominid if it is cheap. Contra Shattered Soldier is a far superior game and criminally underrated.

Retro you have to take into consideration that alien hominid wasnt made by the kind of companies like snk, or konami, so it doesnt have the kind of budget games like metal slug or contra have. When you consider that, it makes the game all the more impressive.
    I never liked contra tho myself i have to say, and shattered soldier got pretty 'meh' reviews in all the reviews i read of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,401 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Deadwing wrote:
    Retro you have to take into consideration that alien hominid wasnt made by the kind of companies like snk, or konami, so it doesnt have the kind of budget games like metal slug or contra have. When you consider that, it makes the game all the more impressive.
    I never liked contra tho myself i have to say, and shattered soldier got pretty 'meh' reviews in all the reviews i read of it.

Just because it didn't have a big budget doesn't mean it's a great game. It's fun alright but for the same price you can get better games. I do admire what the team has done. Shattered Soldier did get 'meh' reviews but the contra fans all love it and I think thats a better indication than a review marking it down for not being to everybodies taste or because it is an archaic genre.

• Advertisement

Well the genres old but the games are still fun, i just found contra to be way too hard. I only played contra 3 on the snes, gave up after a few minutes.lol
    on another topic..damn the alien hominid website for not letting me order a super soviet missile mastar t shirt to europe!! :mad:

Contra 3 is probably the easiest of the Contra games and it's still one of the hardest games ever made :D I guess I'm just fond of joypad nawing difficulty.

The super soviet missle master game was fantastic. In fact there is a heasp of enjoyment to be garnered from the subgames.

Advertisement