Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Penalty points & UK licence

Options
  • 21-08-2005 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me how penalty points work if you don't have an Irish licence? I am assuming they are just noted somewhere and not actually applied to the licence as the system here is not compatible with the one in the UK - but presumably insurance companies can still find out about them? I received a notice for speeding in the 60kph zone on the N7, and have sent off the payment with my details. I'm not thinking along the lines of getting away with the points - I'm just curious as to what might happen.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

At the moment, absolutely nowt will happen as regards to points. They are supposedly 'noted' on the Garda computer, but I don't think that's very coherent as a database goes - there is a lad at work who has a UK licence and has been stopped 4 times for speeding in 2 years (in a Uk plate car).

Twice he has given an English address and twice his Irish one (two different Irish addresses). He has never heard anything as regards to points.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gatster wrote:
    At the moment, absolutely nowt will happen as regards to points. They are supposedly 'noted' on the Garda computer, but I don't think that's very coherent as a database goes - there is a lad at work who has a UK licence and has been stopped 4 times for speeding in 2 years (in a Uk plate car).

Twice he has given an English address and twice his Irish one (two different Irish addresses). He has never heard anything as regards to points.
    Another one of these people who will only stop speeding when the laws of physics catch up with him.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I traded my Irish license for a UK one 2 years ago when I lived over there. When I got a speeding ticket last year, I was informed by the DoT that the points will be transferred should such a system become available (apparently, still some time away) or if I trade back for an Irish license, I'll start with 2 points from that date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭Mocking Burd

Yeah I was curious about the address thing. My UK licence has me listed at my last address over there and I wondered if they would question it's validity as I am resident here (and if they'd even bother checking such things).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They can harrass you into trading it in. Have heard of cases where ppl were taking the piss out of the local cops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement