Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pericles

Options
  • 21-08-2005 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

I thought people in the literature thread might be able to help me: I'm looking for a book on Pericles of Athens, excluding Plutarch's work. Can anyone help me?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

TCD's library gives the following hits for books on Pericles (I've never read any of them):

Pericles of Athens and the birth of democracy / Donald Kagan.
    Author: Kagan, Donald, 1932-
    Date: 1990.

Sophocles and Pericles.
    Author: Ehrenberg, Victor, 1891-
    Date: 1954.

What life was like at the dawn of democracy : classical Athens, 525-322 BC / by the editors of Time-Life Books ; [editor: Denise Dersin] ; [consultant: Jeremy McInerney].
    Date: [c1997]

Perikles and his circle / Anthony J. Podlecki.
    Author: Podlecki, A. J. (Anthony Joseph), 1936-
    Date: 1998.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

From John2's list I'd suggest you start with Kagan, though I haven't read it this review is quite favourable. You might want to check out Kagan's recent book on the Peloponnesian War, that should be in most bookshops in hardback as it's fairly new. I assume you've already read Thucydides? If not that's a good place to start.

I also found these two titles, but I don't know anything about them:
    A. R. Burn, Pericles and Athens
    and
    C. M. Bowra, Periclean Athens
    Bowra in particular was a pretty eminent classicist and that might be a good place to start. Also whatever edition of Plutarch you have should give you some suggestions for recommended reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Mordecai

Thanks everybody. Thucydides is one of the best works I have ever read imo.

Advertisement