Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which 3G Nokia and using your own ringtones

• 21-08-2005 1:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭

Should I buy a second hand 6630 for 150 or just buy a brand new 6680?

Can someone help me make up my mind?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭CelticChick

Having had both phones I'd say go for the 6680, it has everything on the 6630 without the hassle of the stand for the video calling- if thats something you'd use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I cant see myself using video calling at all so its not really a problem for me.

Does that change which phone I should go for?

Well other than the stand there isn't much difference between the two to be honest so I'd say go for whichever you can get cheaper in that case.

Really? I would have thought the 6680 had more features seeing as how its newer? So you'd say go for the 6630 cos Im getting it cheaper? Can you give me the advantages of the phone? Whats the battery like etc.?

As far as I can see the phones are the same apart from the stand- the second camera is the only difference they made. The battery life is good but getting it second hand you never know, you get a few days out of it, but if it is constantly searching for the 3G network it eats away at the battery and only lasts a day or so. The camera is really good, the memory is huge, you can video up to 3 hours depending on the size, colour etc you choose. It has lots and lots of extras- oh actually the 6680 has an mp3 player, the 6630 hasn't. I don't know what else to tell you- maybe if you tell me whats the most important feature for you I can tell you what its like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

you can compare them side by side yourself on the Nokia site:
    6680 compared to 6630

aside form the integrated second camera for video calls, the screen offering more colours and form factor of the 6680, the 6680 and 6630 are pretty much the same handset, the next handsets that have any significant enhancements are the N series, with the N70 being the closest evolution to the 6680/6630, the N90 handsets are more focused on music (N90) and imaging (N91)

Can you have real music as your tone on the 6630? And Dubwireless does the 65K colour screen and the 262K make much of a difference cos in a review I read for the 6680 the reviewer said there wasnt that muhc of a difference.

Yes as far as I remember you can. By the way if you go to a vodafone store you can get the 6630 brand new for less than 150- if you have a phone to trade in against it.

No I think they stopped that offer as there is nothing about it on their website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

vodafone branded 6630s didn't allow you to use your own MP3 ringtones, unless you convert the file to AAC (.m4a file) with something like iTunes, or alternatively flash the handset with generic 6630 software (firmware)

i suppose it depends what you will be looking at on the screen i didn't think the screen colour made a hugely significant difference - but that's my eyes not yours ;) - perhaps going into a voda store to try to get a demo of both in person would be a good idea if that's an option for you...

• Advertisement

All my music is in aac format for my iPod anyways so its all good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

There was another thread about this here, the 6630 is meant to be allot quicker in operation than the 6680... I have a 6630 n the K750i, i like both.. taking me a while to get used to the sony as i've used nokias for 8-9yrs.. I like the symbian software on the nokia tho, loads of apps on the net u can get for them but the camera on the K750i is class, as is the mp3 player..

Back to the topic, 6680 is a 6630 in new clothes so its down personal taste..

Im taking the 6630 and if I dont like it I'll just sell it on. I should have it at around 5 so I'll post back with my opinion.

Thanks for all the help guys.

I tried converting the mp3 to a .aac but when I try and assign it as a ringtone it wont let me? Anyway to get around this without removing Vodafone software (as I like Vodafone live!)

BUMP, anyone?

Nevermind sorted it, I tried the .aac again and now it works!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭woody

The Current Firmware does not allow MP3 ringtones although it is sorted the Voda Firmware is very restrictive like the V800,which is the Z800i will limited capabilty until it is totally flashed.

Ask Wolfman if he has the new firmware, if he does he can most likely flash and debrand it

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

It has lots and lots of extras- oh actually the 6680 has an mp3 player, the 6630 hasn't.
    I can't speak for everyone else but my 6630 came with real player installed and I could listen to mp3 from day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

You can listen to them alright...its just you cannot assign them as ringtones

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭Bruce Fan

Yeah. The easiest way round this really is to just right click on the song in iTunes & convert to m4a. Thats what I did & works fine. You can install Ogg player and do all that but its a pain in the arse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

If you do buy a 6630 (voda only) or a 6680 (voda and 3) you could get them debranded at the nokia service centre, it depends on who you ask.

I brought by 3 branded 6680 in to get the firmware updated but nokia does not have 3-branded v3 firmware, only v2. So I just asked them to put the generic v3 nokia firmware and they did it for me.

Advertisement