Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Business Name

Options
  • 21-08-2005 4:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭

A friend of mine is registering a business name and she's done a search to ensure it doesn't already exist in Ireland but she found a website using the the name (name.com) in the US. The website is not for a similar business, its a business networking site. Does anyone know if this could cause my friend a problem. I dont think it could as people won't confuse them because their activities are not similar and also because the other one is in a different jurisdiction.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

As long as she's not trying to call it something commonly known, then it shouldn't cause any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭ButtermilkJack

I registered a business name even though a US company had bought the .com and had it for sale for $3,500 at the time. I didn't think it would make a difference as I bought my .ie anyway. Reason being, I have no intention of becoming an international corporation, and nobody in Ireland is allowed register a business of the same name and then go purchase the .com for $3,500 and trade against me here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭madramor

nobody in Ireland is allowed register a business of the same name

business names give no protection with regard to other people using them.

the only real way to protect your business name is to use a
    trademark

OP
    as long as the american company dosen't have a trademark registered
    in ireland\eu then its ok to use the name.

Advertisement