Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeating Just Maths

Options
  • 21-08-2005 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi, go my lc resluts and i got the points for the course I wanted except ffor the problem of failing honours maths which i needed for my course.
    I think i'm just gonna work for the year or somwthing and repeat just maths but I don't know how. Do I have to apply somewhere or register??? I'm not doing it through school, I'm going to do it myself which will work better for me, anyone with any clue could you please tell me?

Thankyou so much for your time.
    Faye

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can't repeat just maths, as your points and subjects must come from one year. Can't patch 2006 Maths onto a 2005 LC for other points.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

You can? Obviously you can't add up the points from seperate years but if it's just a matriculation requirement then that's fine. i.e. Fail maths one year and get say 300 points overall, repeat just maths next year and get an A1 (or any pass grade) - you still have 300 points but are also deemed to satisfy any matriculation requirements involving maths. You just have to hope the points requirement for your course don't go up in the meantime

• Registered Users Posts: 69,022 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You can? Obviously you can't add up the points from seperate years but if it's just a matriculation requirement then that's fine. i.e. Fail maths one year and get say 300 points overall, repeat just maths next year and get an A1 (or any pass grade) - you still have 300 points but are also deemed to satisfy any matriculation requirements involving maths. You just have to hope the points requirement for your course don't go up in the meantime

Very few colleges allow that - believe me, same situation, spent a lot of time on the phone to admission officers, etc. Everything has to be from the same year for 95% of courses.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭*Roisin*

That's not right. You can repeat any of the core subjects for matriculation purposes and reapply with your old points.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Hmmmm, as far as i know matriculation subjects can be from any year, if that wasn't the situation than everyone repeating the leaving would have to do eng/maths/irish(for nui)/etc, and they don't.

edited to add: i've known ppl to do just Irish in the leaving in one year, for primary teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭jacksie

im sure you are right FayeGreene i was almost in same sit..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

you can repeat just the maths and as long as you have the points [from yer first sitting of the LC] for the course the next year you'll get in.

I did :)

Advertisement