Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeded my broadband upload limit, what now?

• 21-08-2005 4:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hey, i just got broadband and i exceeded my limit for uploads, and its my first month with it. Whats gonna happen, whats the penalty?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭Clover

your going straight to hell !!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

Death!

Who is your ISP? Generally it just involves paying extra, over and above your monthly price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 shareef

im with eircom, its 30 euro a month!

i'm with eircom also and have the connection a couple of years and have never had any extra charges for going over the download / upload caps put on my bill.

so you have gone over? im really worried cos i dont pay the bills, my dad does, and he will freak out if it costs money, i didnt even mean it to happen, jus saw it was happening too late.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

I generally end up exceeding both the upload and download caps, usually within the first week of the month. It's not nice knowing that Eircom could pull you up on it (and at 3.6c a MB I'd be rightly screwed) but it's never happened to me yet.
    Eircom once told us that they weren't charging for exceeding the cap. How long they keep this up for is another matter entirely.

ah thanks, i can afford the 3.6c, would that be the rate for sure if they decided to charge me?
    but i read somewhere that i could lose my broadband or be forced to upgrade, would that happen?
    how much do you exceed by in total, cause your right, 3.6 adds up and will end up being alot?

If you go way over (and you are on the starter package, like me) then they will phone you and ask if you want to upgrade. You can agree or disagree, doesn't matter, but they might ask you to go easy for the next while.
    Eircom won't cut off your BB(for this). Just will not happen.

Um, I'm actually not that far over - I don't pay the bills in my house - but the billpayer gets angsty if I go too crazy on the downloads. So I usually end up downloading about 12GB a month. Uploading about 5GB.
    I know some people who download ~100GB each month on Eircom BB. Never been charged.

oh god i hope they dont cut me off, that wud be sooo bad, i hope they dont ring cos i will have to explain that i downloaded sometin worth 2.98gb(as far as i know all legal) and accidently uploaded, my dad will freak, he is obsessed with keeping all music off the computer, little does he know i have a comprehensive collection of music!
    god how could you download 100gb, must have a massive memory for the pc....oh god i hope they dont ring about, most likely will, first month and all!
    which is the starter pack?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

shareef wrote:
    oh god i hope they dont cut me off, that wud be sooo bad, i hope they dont ring cos i will have to explain that i downloaded sometin worth 2.98gb(as far as i know all legal) and accidently uploaded, my dad will freak, he is obsessed with keeping all music off the computer, little does he know i have a comprehensive collection of music!
    god how could you download 100gb, must have a massive memory for the pc....oh god i hope they dont ring about, most likely will, first month and all!
    which is the starter pack?

Downloading 100GB of data is fairly easy...I'll leave it up to you how it can be done!
    Storing that data is easy enough with massive HDD's available these days as well as 30c 4.7GB writeable DVD's.

Ive broken my 24GB BT BB CAP several times into the 30's GB region...but have yet to be charged and dont expect to as well as BT appear to value their customers more than eircom(dropping prices for everyone and not just new customers) and far more than UTV(they enforce the CAP to the MByte!!!).

I hope that comprehensive collection was bought from one of the 5 online retailers that IRMA endorses???

• Advertisement

well it was a special website project of a bands collection of demos, i assumed no one had issues with the project as the band are certainly well aware of its existants. It wasnt kazaa or one of those, so i am hopin the actual content download wont be an issue!
    am, i understand how one could download 100gb but how you could find something to constantly keep downloading at 100gb each month. my 2.98 is a once off and i wont b coming near its vastness again i think!

Did you upload 2.98GB? Cause that's not a problem.
    I've uploaded about 3GB this month.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Malafus wrote:
    Did you upload 2.98GB? Cause that's not a problem.
    I've uploaded about 3GB this month.

I wouldn't worry in the slightest.

Yeah but Shareef's dad isn't paying your bill. :)

i uploading about 1.2gb so far and downloaded bout 3.2gb....i hope i am worrying needlessly!

Yeah but Shareef's dad isn't paying your bill. :)

Yeah, but mine is.

Shareef. Don't worry. Not even a little bit. Eircom will do nothing. Seriously.
    Besides, they don't even have an official pricing policy for excess uploads. At least, not last time I checked. Their policies state "3.6c per excess MB downloaded", and that's it. Nothing about uploads at all, other than "Thou shalt not upload more than 1GB each month".

shareef wrote:
    i uploading about 1.2gb so far and downloaded bout 3.2gb....i hope i am worrying needlessly!

i think you are .

just dont go to over board with it.

ok, i hope your right, and im naturallly a worrier!!!
    if it is 3.6, i will be charged 7euro, that i can handle!
    what do u download that reaches so many gb a month??

shareef wrote:

what do u download that reaches so many gb a month??

;)

lol, im new to broadband, i am still immature to the goldmine that is the internet, my guess would be films and cpu programmes, but i could be wrong!

Umm.... umm.... pr0n?

Nah, it's mainly fansubs and.... stuff.

Edit: Oh yeah, US TV shows as well. And yes, you could download movies and games illegally, but that would be wrong!

• Advertisement

i mostly download tv programs that are aired in the us long before they are aired here , a few films and abit of music and stuff .

i mainly use me connection for online games and surfing .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You should be fine.

Me and clover know a lad who thought the eircom 4gb cap was a 40gb cap. Needless to say he ain't the sharpest tool in the box but he never got charged even though he went over his imaginary 40gb cap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

do digiweb charge for going over the 10Gig limit ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

clownboy wrote:
    You should be fine.

Me and clover know a lad who thought the eircom 4gb cap was a 40gb cap. Needless to say he ain't the sharpest tool in the box but he never got charged even though he went over his imaginary 40gb cap

Really???

When I had eircom a good while back....I would nearly shít myself when I broke the 4GB CAP by 500MB!

Your lucky your friend wasnt with UTV at the time or he would have had to sell his soul to pay the UTV bill!!!!

People we need a Download/Upload CAP Sticky for the ISP's ASAP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

IS that for the blind ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Gryzor

zuma wrote:
    and far more than UTV(they enforce the CAP to the MByte!!!).

i'm with UTV and have gone over the 8Gig cap a few times by 1-2 gigs....never been charged for it....shaggers...they get enough out of me.. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭ronan001

i've had eircom about 2 years, i didnt even realise there is a limit to the upload!! i normally would upload 3-4 GB, have never been charged. i have only went over my download 3-4 times, they have not charged me. i'm about 4gb over the limit this month. so hoping it doesnt happen this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭Terra

I have smart broadband and never ever have too worry about caps...

Nice speed increase over christmas to 6meg too and it was heaven....

Why do other isp's in Ireland insist on these caps ?

Is there any real need for them ?

Advertisement