Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Password Protection

Options
  • 17-04-1999 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

LO

I don't know if anyone reads this board but I got a Web Desigen question...

How do password protect a page, like that tactics page on the CD site.

?

Any help would be nice

El_Pres

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Karla

Dammit I did this before in JavaScript, but I can't remeber exactly how. sad.gif

The password had to be the name of the page without the extension .html.

Try looking in one of those JavaScript websites for it.

Or else http://www.thefreesite.com

Karla

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Brit

The most simple way is to use .htaccess control. Java password scripts are not terribly good, although one of the least-easy-to-hack is GateKeeper.

I recommend CGI systems, preferably utilising .htaccess somewhere along the line.

See http://www.cgi-resources.com

--Brit--

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭Chaos

Who told you we got that page:]

£5 for who can guess the password:Þ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Scarab

ajnin or cdcon1 ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

The guys up above are right.

The best way is with cgi, but if you don't have cgi access (and you prolly don't) then a javascript method like the cd one is pretty unhackable. Well anyone smart enough to hack it is smart enough to work out better tactics than you can anyhow!

Search the web for the gatekeeper script and that'll do ya. (it's hardly even a script - it just opens the url of the entered password with .htm added on). If you know the name of the tactics htm file, you have the whole page.

Or if ya wanna go with cgi scripts, here is one I've used that's pretty good:

http://www.maze.se/freeware/

Click on perl scripts.

.htaccess protects the current directory and all it's sub-directories with username/password combos.

• Advertisement

In fact, to show just how **** poor the security is on most Java script based password applets, you can usually bypass them by simply turning off Java support in your browser. Then, load the password page, view the source and voila! Instant knowledge.

Go CGI or .htaccess...

--Brit--

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭earthworm_jim

err yeah but that don't work with the gatekeeper.

I started thinking about it and I can't really see a way of hacking that javascript. It's simple but effective.

m.

In that case, just use good 'ol MS Frontpage to 'import' the entire site, protected regions and all, to your local machine.

--Brit--

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Slosh

The fastest way of passwording a site is Javascript where the popup box asks the user for a password which is the page name. Then it just appends a .htm to the user input and tries to display it.

Gis a bell if you want the code pressy!

Slosh.

Advertisement