Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any usenet users

• 21-08-2005 5:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭

(did a quick search on this on boards but couldnt find anything...)

just reading the usenet(.com) website - does anyone use the service for downloading and more importantly is it legal? it seems to be the one question not touched anywhere on the site.
    did a few google searches too but can't find an answer.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Usenet is legal as a content delivering service, but what content you go for determines the legality.

Most binary groups contain illegal software but there are hundreds of groups dedicated to everything. Knitting, guitar playing, racing, the news, anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

cheers Giblet

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Usenet is great tbh
    Its a shame that so many ISP's now a days don't have usenet servers or fail to tell their users about them if they have them.

one example is IOL who have no mention of news.iol.ie on their help section (that I can see anyway)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Cabaal wrote:
    Usenet is great tbh
    Its a shame that so many ISP's now a days don't have usenet servers or fail to tell their users about them if they have them.

one example is IOL who have no mention of news.iol.ie on their help section (that I can see anyway)

Do BT in the UK operate a USENET service???

If they do then I see no reason why their Irish customers cant access it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

yeah theres a usenet service that will remain nameless that has a program that allows you to access binary groups and has full download speeds, and advertises that your completly anon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

Usenet would be great for Irish users because you don't have to upload and get full speed. Pity you have to pay for the decent servers, it's not worth it IMO I can wait 24 hours for a movie to download no bother.

Sparky_S wrote:
    yeah theres a usenet service that will remain nameless that has a program that allows you to access binary groups and has full download speeds, and advertises that your completly anon.

Are you talking about BT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Gegerty wrote:
    Are you talking about BT?

no, its a crowd that have servers that you pay to use, and you can have full line speed downloads from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

i use newshosting.com its great €130 4 the year.

ricey wrote:
    i use newshosting.com its great €130 4 the year.

Unlimited downloading or a quota every month???

Personially I find usenet very confuseing in comparison to lets say FTP or even torrents due to the massive fracturing that can take place of large files.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I've used easyNews.com recently. It's very fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

byte wrote:
    I've used easyNews.com recently. It's very fast!

I've been using this ever since I got broadband and it's by far the best way to find all those Linux ISO's (ahem!) that we all need.

The big advantage that easynews has is that if you find the whole idea of downloading stuff through newsgroups slightly confusing which it can be, easynews provide a nice handy search engine which allows you to find pretty much anything you want and download it incredibly easily.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sparky_S wrote:

sounds like easynews.com tbh
    Their privacy policy is insane :)

ya there is no dl limits with newshosting and i max out my 3mbit all the time. its wotht it now that you can get nzb files

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

such a shame they are so expensive though...
    tenner a month is steep enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 586 ✭✭✭kmurph

such a shame they are so expensive though...
    tenner a month is steep enough

$10 a month which is about €8.10 at the moment. Well worth it for something that's way more reliable, faster and complete than BT or any other file sharing program that I only ever use for downloading Linux ISO's and other open source programs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Lord Oz

How's the selection of files on usenet, how does it compare to bittorrent and emule in that sense?

Lord Oz wrote:
    How's the selection of files on usenet, how does it compare to bittorrent and emule in that sense?

Usenets only have a limited lifespan and are mainly updated with current Linux Distros :) !!!!
    Unlike torrents which are very flexible and can contain almost anything.

I prefer torrents as I dread to think about my monthly download total with the instant gratification that usenets provide!!!!!
    With a 2Mb connection and the cheapness of DVD R's........ :eek:

Usenet has came on a lot since nzb files, much like torrents you dl the nzb and open it
    with your usenet clien like newsleecher and away you go no more need to update the groups. try a few sites like newzbin.com or nzbzone.com to see whats on offer.

its not expensive at all if you ask me €130 for a hole year of top speed downloads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Gegerty

ricey wrote:
    Usenet has came on a lot since nzb files, much like torrents you dl the nzb and open it
    with your usenet clien like newsleecher and away you go no more need to update the groups. try a few sites like newzbin.com or nzbzone.com to see whats on offer.

its not expensive at all if you ask me €130 for a hole year of top speed downloads.

Whats your rush? bittorrent has far better selection, better retention (or no retention, however you want to put it). OK its slower especially with our (rappy 128K upload speeds but if I need something by the weekend then I'll start downloading on the thursday. 24hrs is the longest it'll ever take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Gegerty wrote:
    Whats your rush? bittorrent has far better selection, better retention (or no retention, however you want to put it). OK its slower especially with our (rappy 128K upload speeds but if I need something by the weekend then I'll start downloading on the thursday. 24hrs is the longest it'll ever take.
    Bittorrent's retention is reliant solely on others keeping their client open, or keeping what they download in their upload queue (if using something like Azereus). When I used btefnet to get torrents there were a hell of a lot of files on that with no peers.

The selection of what's available on news is huge, and files are re-posted regularly. It takes 6 hours to get 4GB down on my 2Mb connection so for $15 a month it's well worth it.

• Advertisement

Ya bittorrent is the best if you have a decent upload speed and know some good torrent
    sites, but for the average joe Usenet is the way 2 go you can get everything that you
    will get from torrents + more and at max your dl speed and never have to upload a thing.
    and as for there been more files with bittorrent then usenet its like this you will get files with bittorrent you wont get on usenet and you will get files on usenet you wont get with bittorrent.

Advertisement