Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Laws?

Options
  • 21-08-2005 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭

Will the new Hate Laws coming in regarding Incitement Of Religious hatred mean anything for metal? I mean think of how many bands with Anti-Christian / Jewish / etc themes? Can i be arrested for wearing my Morbid Angel God Is Dead tshirt? What about Deicide and **** Your God? Or Burzum? What about CD's with upside down crosses on them etc?

Any ideas? Anyone a lawyer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sterculelum

I hope it stops all the hate ****e that a lot of those metallers seem to condone, but I'm all for upside down crosses and the like (although I'm far from a satanist). I think **** your God is a bit offensive and ppl shouldn't be wearing t-shirts saying that walking down the street.

That said, if you're into satanism, go ahead and do whatever you have to do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭hawkmoon269

I'm not particularly a metal fan but the opening post raises some thought provoking questions. This legislation is totally misguided in my view. I am assuming the legislation just applies to the UK and not to ROI.

In relation to the second post, with respect, who decides what people should and shouldn't do?

Well people can't be allowed to do whatever they want. There needs to be rules regarding racism. People can't be allowed to walk around with a t-shirt saying "I Hate Black People" or swastikas all over themselves, it would start crimes. There needs to be control. I'm not saying that satanism should be illegal, just that people should be aware that they can't go around bashing christianity.

Equally, christians shouldn't be allowed to wear anti-Satanism stuff around the streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭ANarcho-Munk

ahh jaysus I wonder what'll happen my Crossbuster t-shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

There needs to be control. I'm not saying that satanism should be illegal, just that people should be aware that they can't go around bashing christianity.

Oh grow up. You know nothing about "control" and hate laws have nothing to do with art and freedom of speech.

FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

People are entitled to bash any ideology IMO. If it can't stand up to investigation then it isn't valid. Incitement of hatred, on the other hand, is a different matter IMO and definitely something I don't like at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Doctor J wrote:
    People are entitled to bash any ideology IMO. If it can't stand up to investigation then it isn't valid. Incitement of hatred, on the other hand, is a different matter IMO and definitely something I don't like at all.
    Yeah but where do you draw the line? If you criticise a religion offensively ("Jesus was a ****" or "Mohammed was a paedophile") then someone could easily say that you were "inciting hatred". That's why I don't like this law, it's stupid, and taking political correctness too far.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I'd like to see how far the law is pushed. If people are stopped from wearing metal t-shirts or whatever then it's going too far. Let's face it, the majority of metal fans are not bigots, yes we all can think of one or two metal fans from our own lives who are ***** but that's their problem, not the fact they listen to metal. I have a funny feeling it's a law to prevent extreme religious nuts from encouraging their followers to blow the **** out of some other people as opposed to an anti-music law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

By equal measures a Non-Christian could take offense to a t-shirt saying Jesus Saves or Got Jesus?

What about the people that stand in town centers preaching the Bible? I consider that to be offensive, is he in trouble as well?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Doctor J wrote:
    If it can't stand up to investigation then it isn't valid.
    Standing up to investigation is one thing, and everyone has a right to think about chritianity/buddhism/paganism whatever, and ask 'is this for real? is it all a sham? etc etc'. But to just say 'f*ck your god' 'jesus was a ****' (saw that on some t-shirt a while ago) really is being offensive just for the sake of being offensive. Seriously, you dont see people walking down the road with 'f*ck buddha', 'paganists worship trees, the stupid f*ckers', or 'bollocks to jews' so why should christianity be singled out over any other religion?
    Im not a bible basher, ive got slayer cd's, burzum cd's, but i do find the anti-christian bashing that comes with some metal to get a bit tiresome, and can see how some people might consider it to 'induce hate'. These people are idiots however, but i do find it a bit hypocritical that if a band say 'f*ck god' its acceptable, but if they said 'f*ck moses/mohammed/buddha' theyd be racist.

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    Oh grow up. You know nothing about "control" and hate laws have nothing to do with art and freedom of speech.

FFS.

Whoa chill it there, man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Deadwing wrote:
    why should christianity be singled out over any other religion

Because it's popular. :)

I have no trouble with anti-religious material at all, as long as there's some reason behind it besides just offense. There are more than a few anti-religious songs out there that give good reasons why religion, or an aspect of it, is a bad thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

'god hates us all?'

no my precious tshirt that will cause sooo much crime :(
    people can wear whatever they want,it's peoples lame reactions to it that would be a problem.

Deadwing wrote:
    Standing up to investigation is one thing, and everyone has a right to think about chritianity/buddhism/paganism whatever, and ask 'is this for real? is it all a sham? etc etc'. But to just say 'f*ck your god' 'jesus was a ****' (saw that on some t-shirt a while ago) really is being offensive just for the sake of being offensive. Seriously, you dont see people walking down the road with 'f*ck buddha', 'paganists worship trees, the stupid f*ckers', or 'bollocks to jews' so why should christianity be singled out over any other religion?
    Im not a bible basher, ive got slayer cd's, burzum cd's, but i do find the anti-christian bashing that comes with some metal to get a bit tiresome, and can see how some people might consider it to 'induce hate'. These people are idiots however, but i do find it a bit hypocritical that if a band say 'f*ck god' its acceptable, but if they said 'f*ck moses/mohammed/buddha' theyd be racist.

Indeed, you'll find my point and your are pretty much the same. I find it the anti-chrisitan stuff just as annoying as the overly pro-chrisitan stuff. Everybody is entitled to their own way of life, though they should show respect for others, it's that simple. Saying 'Jesus is a ****' on a t-shirt isn't making any valid point, it's merely there so teenagers can get at their parents and a band can shift a few more units on the back of teen angst, it's a display of disrespect to Christians who, whether you agree with Christianity or not (or any form of religion where theire is a deity figure involved), have a right to go through their day without this kind of immature nonsense. How many of these muppets would get irked by someone on a Glasgow Rangers jersey or someone wearing a "Hitler was right' t-shirt?

Whoa chill it there, man.

Yeah, that was a bit harsh perhaps....i was drunk and annoyed last night.
    Baseless scaremongering just annoys me. Strict hate laws are already in place in Germany, for example, and it doesnt influence "metal" in any way. The censorship of album covers like Cannibal Corpse, for example, is covered under other "decency" laws.

Ancient1 wrote:
    Yeah, that was a bit harsh perhaps....i was drunk and annoyed last night.
    Baseless scaremongering just annoys me. Strict hate laws are already in place in Germany, for example, and it doesnt influence "metal" in any way. The censorship of album covers like Cannibal Corpse, for example, is covered under other "decency" laws.

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

Most of the lame little metal kids that wear t-shirts saying anything offensive usually don't have a ****ing clue what their t-shirt says.

Those who claim they do probably don't believe in the ideology or have any knowledge about what they are insulting but still where the t-shirt becuase it makes them feel hard.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but if they don't know anything about the opinion voiced by their t-shirt then they sholdn't wear it.

Mist wrote:
    Most of the lame little metal kids that wear t-shirts saying anything offensive usually don't have a ****ing clue what their t-shirt says.

Those who claim they do probably don't believe in the ideology or have any knowledge about what they are insulting but still where the t-shirt becuase it makes them feel hard.

People are entitled to their own opinions, but if they don't know anything about the opinion voiced by their t-shirt then they sholdn't wear it.

Agreed. These new age "goths" piss me off too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Mist

Yeah and emo kids. They all dress the way they do because they WANT people to say something to them.

To be honest I think that wearing offensive band t-shirts is lame. Nobody really gives a **** if you like some random death metal act. The only band t-shirts i wear are ones that i think look cool, that do not contain any offensive content. Also, they're not black.

Mist wrote:
    Yeah and emo kids. They all dress the way they do because they WANT people to say something to them.

To be honest I think that wearing offensive band t-shirts is lame. Nobody really gives a **** if you like some random death metal act. The only band t-shirts i wear are ones that i think look cool, that do not contain any offensive content. Also, they're not black.

Damn right. Bring back Cureheads, etc. These emo kiddies don't stand a chance against 70's punks, 80's goths, mods.

Sacrificing goats. Ffs!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Who cares tbh? this seems to me to be an anti-muslim law. which is racism.
    it's my view that religion causes too many blinkered bigoted views, and as such should be outlawed. no one person or book can tell you how to lead your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Actually, one person; goes by the name of Jesus, can tell you how to live your life.
    BTW if something is "anti-muslim", that has sweet F all to do with "racism", it's called secterianism, you clueless jerk.
    "Religion should be outlawed" ? Words can't express how much I despise people like you, Ruaidhri. Grow up.

Insulting people and despising people isn't very Christian, now is it Tommy? To much "do as I say" and not enough "Do as I do" going on. Again, you've resorted to personal abuse when you don't like what people are saying. Bad form. Grow up.

It's ok to disagree with people. If you can't retort in a civil manner then don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Actually, one person; goes by the name of Jesus, can tell you how to live your life.

WRONG! It's not Jesus, it's Buddha that is the only one person who can tell you how to live your life.

I'm allowed to tell people I despise them. I wouldn't have called him clueless if he wasn't so obviously ignorant as to what he's talking about. Maybe I shouldn'tve called him a jerk, but I feel it really was warranted.

Fine, DoctorJ, I'm a bad christian, but don't judge christianity by my actions, or any other layman or clergyman who may or may not be a good christian - judge christianity by christ alone.

You seem to think I'm being a hypocrite, but you are wrong. Got it? I'm not telling him to be christian, I'm just rebuking him ( and I'm justified in doing so) for saying "religion should be outlawed".

Yes, I know it's okay to disagree with people, did you think I was unaware of that?

How about addressing my actual point for a change instead of just criticising the way I'm making it?

Relax, little christian.

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

jesus did it for the chicks

WRONG! It's not Jesus, it's Buddha that is the only one person who can tell you how to live your life.

Fair enough, at least you're courageous enough to hold religious beliefs and express those beliefs in front of a forum full of people who will probably hate you for them. I commend you for that much. Would you care to explain how you arrived at the conclusion that Buddha, and not Jesus, is that one person?

Ph3n0m wrote:
    jesus did it for the chicks

Why did you bother saying that? I might understand if it was actually funny, but that was so pointless. I don't get it. If you disagree with me, why not have the balls to come out and make your point? But don't just sit there taking cheap little potshots at my beliefs - that's cowardly. Why not put your beliefs on the line, against mine?

• Advertisement

Because of this:
    BTW if something is "anti-muslim", that has sweet F all to do with "racism", it's called secterianism, you clueless jerk.
    "Religion should be outlawed" ? Words can't express how much I despise people like you, Ruaidhri. Grow up.

Just listen to yourself. You're hysterical. Who hates you? What are you talking about? Why are you so touchy and sensitive?

Advertisement