Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Laws?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

This is where your points come undone, Tommy, when you just lash out at someone. Bad form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    It's not the peoples minds are closed, its that many people have their own beliefs, in a similar vein to how you have yours. Though not all of them involve the same beliefs as yourself, surely the Christian thing to do is to respect theirs as you would wish them to respect yours? No person can claim their own as the "truth", as at the end of the day it is all down to opinion and personal belief, not fact.

Claiming that people who don't share your beliefs are close-minded won't win you many followers, as it is the superior-than-thou attitude and attempts to force beliefs that so many people grow to despise within organised religions.

Besides, I add another vote to the "Too Serious" campaign :)

I am aware of the distinction between 'not sharing someone else's beliefs', and being closed-minded, thank you very much.

Too serious? Are you kidding me? You can't take God "too seriously", it's not possible. Can a stream rise higher than it's own source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Saying things like "let's dumb it down" really pisses me off. Is that an attempt to make me appear stupid or something? It's not my fault if you couldn't get your point across clearly.

No, it's an attempt to actually dumb it down and make it as blatant as possible for you, because you simply don't seem to want to look at the meaning behind points being made. It's nothing to make you appear stupid, it's simply the fact that you're running through this thread seemingly looking for things to get pissed off about. Like where you jump down peoples throats for "mocking your beliefs" when things weren't even directed towards you.
    Okay, you want to know why I believe christianity is more correct, i.e. more true, than other faiths. Well, how about I start by telling you why I think Jesus was genuine when he said he was the son of God? Thus I will begin to prove that christianity is the most true religion. (Not that there is not measure of truth in many other religions, for one of the good things about christianity, is that it does not require it's followers to believe that all other religions are just wrong - unlike atheism, which must believe that.)

Go right ahead.

Doctor J wrote:
    This is where your points come undone, Tommy, when you just lash out at someone. Bad form.

Fine, I lashed out, I have a short temper, I'm not the best christian int he world, whatever. How the hell should that make my point come undone? I don't claim to ****ing BE jesus christ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

I've been typing and retyping my reply and really truly don't know what to say....

Is this how you want to play?
    I think it's about time you ****ed off, mate, don't you?
    You're not really contriuting anything valid to this debate, you're just jumping in and taking pot-shots at me personally.

Please don't bother pointing out the irony of a christian saying something as un-christian-like as "**** off", btw.

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    I've been typing and retyping my reply and really truly don't know what to say....

Is this how you want to play?

I'd rather not "play" at all, if you don't mind. Just go away please.

If Tommy could kindly refrain from blatant flaming, that'd be super.

If Tommy could kindly refrain from blatant flaming, that'd be super.

Well, I'm grateful I got a warning first this time, at least. But its very difficult when every single other person in the thread is throwing their 2 cents in like that. What I'm saying is, if you want to disagree/argue/slag me, can you form an orderly queue please? One at a time, FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

It was not your thread to begin with.

You hijacked it and polluted it with your propaganda. There can be no debate with your kind.

Edit: I'm done here.

can you form an orderly queue please?

Yeth mathter! :p

• Advertisement

Fine, I lashed out, I have a short temper, I'm not the best christian int he world, whatever. How the hell should that make my point come undone? I don't claim to ****ing BE jesus christ.

You claim to believe in his ways, yet you mock and scold people at with disturbing frequency, more so than any of the people who may or may not be religious here, I don't know. You can't justify this by saying you have a short temper, that's just bull****, that's not a reason, that's an excuse. It doesn't take a good christian to be civil, to show respect. No-one else here has resorted to insults. You can make your point but every time you abuse someone you just come across as another "Do as I say not as I do" peddler. You're chastising people for their "hate" but if you read back over these threads the one who comes across as hate filled and agressive is you. Heed your own message. I find it hard to believe that someone who truly believes in god would use "short temper" as a bloody excuse for their own inability to heed their own message. That is why I say your outbursts undermine your points.

Ancient1 wrote:
    It was not your thread to begin with.

You hijacked it and polluted it with your propaganda. There can be no debate with your kind.

I've no more hi-jacked it than anyone else who argued with me did. And even if I did hi-jack it, why don't you let the Mods worry about that, eh? If they believed that I'm sure it would be closed by now.

Let me ask you this, if you lived 600 years ago, and you knew the world was round, would it count as "propaganda" if you went around around trying to tell people about it?

If you lived 4.56 billion years ago and you knew the world wasn't created in 7 days and 7 nights, would you not go around trying to tell people about it too? :)

Doctor J wrote:
    You claim to believe in his ways, yet you mock and scold people at with disturbing frequency, more so than any of the people who may or may not be religious here, I don't know. You can't justify this by saying you have a short temper, that's just bull****, that's not a reason, that's an excuse. It doesn't take a good christian to be civil, to show respect. No-one else here has resorted to insults. You can make your point but every time you abuse someone you just come across as another "Do as I say not as I do" peddler. You're chastising people for their "hate" but if you read back over these threads the one who comes across as hate filled and agressive is you. Heed your own message. I find it hard to believe that someone who truly believes in god would use "short temper" as a bloody excuse for their own inability to heed their own message. That is why I say your outbursts undermine your points.

Fine, I don't practice what I preach, not in this particular respect anyway. You don't know me as a person, you only know that I have an intolerance for people who are, in my own opinion, idiots. To tell the truth, for better or for worse, the internet is the only place where I lack patience with people like this, the only place where I get this angry.
    Yes, you're right, it doesn't take a good christian to show respect; it takes a good person. But I believe respect must be earned, and while I give most people I don't know the benefit of the doubt, there are a few who I can't help being initially disgusted by.

I'm not justifying it by saying I have a short temper, I'm not trying to do that at all. It's still my own fault for having that short temper. It's simply an explanation. If you were defending something as dear to your heart as I am, then I think you might be a little bit heavy-handed aswell; maybe even a little bit vicious in your defense, IDK.

You keep using that phrase "do as I say, not as I do", but I'm not really trying to instruct people to DO anything. I'm not standing here shouting "Repent! Ye sinners!" or anything to that effect, I'm only trying to explain to people what I believe to be true. Maybe I've been aggressive, but you can't say I haven't been open-minded.

BTW, you should know, I don't use insults as any kind of "resort", like you are making out. They are a mere by-product of my disgust for the things some people have said. I really regret that I probably have come across as hate-filled and aggressive, but, well, the more you love good, the more you hate bad. I don't truly hate those people, but rather the things they said. "Hate the sin, but not the sinner", is an applicable phrase.
    You misunderstood what I said about temper - it is not an excuse, okay?

Doctor J wrote:
    If you lived 4.56 billion years ago and you knew the world wasn't created in 7 days and 7 nights, would you not go around trying to tell people about it too? :)

Hahaha I love the way people always use bits from the book of Genesis when trying to discredit Christianity. :rolleyes:

I don't take every word of the bible as literal, and no christian does, got it?

But I am defending something I hold dear, we all are, everybody who has said their piece. Don't you get it?

Sure, you ignore what you want and hammer what suits you down people's throats, I get it.

Edit -> Indeed, now that you mention it, who decides what gets taken literally and what gets swept under the carpet?

Doctor J wrote:
    But I am defending something I hold dear, we all are, everybody who has said their piece. Don't you get it?

I get it perfectly well. You are not defending anything. None of you, with the possible exception of Karl, though I have a suspicion he is not really a Buddhist. The fact is, most of you having just been trying to refute things I have said, and you are not defending anything, except your desire to do so.

But I could be wrong, so, tell me, Doctor, what religion of yours is mine in opposition to; so that you must defend it by discrediting my own?

Doctor J wrote:
    Sure, you ignore what you want and hammer what suits you down people's throats, I get it.

Edit -> Indeed, now that you mention it, who decides what gets taken literally and what gets swept under the carpet?

Well, science, for one, can decide that the world was not, in fact created as told in the book of genesis. The bible is a book written by humans; it's word is not necessarily law. You get anti-christian people all the time, saying: "Guffaw! You really believe that "God" made a woman out of a man's rib?! "
    Wow, that was a convienient phrase you used "swept under the carpet" - made it all sound very underhanded, didn't it? Nicely put, DoctorJ. We don't hammer anything down peoples throats, you make it sound like we make people be christians by force or something. Will you kindly acknowledge that this is not the case, please?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

uh..
    I had catholocism forced down my throat all the time when I was growing up. I got pretty sick of it actually.

you cannot be serious.
    are you really this ignorant?

• Advertisement

I'm not discrediting your religion, I'm merely asking questions. You told us that "Actually, one person; goes by the name of Jesus, can tell you how to live your life." I disagree, as I've clearly stated in my previous posts and I have a right to defend my beliefs and my way of life, just as you have. To suggest every other poster here apart from Karl Hungus has nothing to defend is ignorance at it's height, especially since Karl said "I don't think that Buddha is the only person to tell people how to live. I don't believe there is any such thing. But my point is simply to question why you believe you're any more correct than any other faith?" - a question you've yet to answer. Perhaps you should read through this thread again?

you make it sound like we make people be christians by force or something. Will you kindly acknowledge that this is not the case, please?

Certainly, I never asked to be Christened. Did you?

Edit -> I wonder Tommy, if children here were allowed to grow up without religious eduction of whatever brand their parents subscribed to, until their minds were educated and developed and they were encouraged to think for themselves as opposed to remember and repeat things in books, how many would choose religion and out of them who would choose Christianity? I'm not having a go here, don't get me wrong.. again.., just musing. You know, what if people were allowed choose a religion rather than be brought up as part of one?

Mordeth wrote:
    uh..
    I had catholocism forced down my throat all the time when I was growing up. I got pretty sick of it actually.

you cannot be serious.
    are you really this ignorant?

Please state what you are on about rather than just implying that I'm ignorant. Name me one sect of christianity that takes EVERY word of the bible literally.

I get it perfectly well. You are not defending anything. None of you, with the possible exception of Karl, though I have a suspicion he is not really a Buddhist. The fact is, most of you having just been trying to refute things I have said, and you are not defending anything, except your desire to do so.

What the hell gives you the right to second-guess or presume what beliefs I might or might not hold? If you want to know if I'm a Buddhist, just ask and I'll tell you upfront. Don't make snide posts about suspiscion.

And for that matter, why does it have to be a faith or belief in order to defend something? You make comments about "Random Death Metallers" allegedly slagging your beliefs, yet for me, and I'm sure a lot of other people here, such music that you belittle is something dear to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

And I will send upon YOU people famine and injurious wild beasts, and they must bereave you of children, and pestilence and blood themselves will pass along through you, and a sword I shall bring in upon you. I myself, Jehovah, have spoken.
    -- Ezekiel 5:17
    sounds nice and christian.

But i digress. we are not talking about the bible, factual or inaccurate as it it. we (were) talking about how religion incites hatred in the masses.

case :
    we don't hammer anything down peoples throats, you make it sound like we make people be christians by force or something.

point : 1st Commandment; Verse 3: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Doctor J wrote:
    Certainly, I never asked to be Christened. Did you?

No, but I am very very glad that I was christened.

The only reason you wouldn't want to be christened, is if you didn't believe in God, in which case the whole christening would be meaningless for you, so it wouldn't even matter. So it's harmless, either way. Unless you are some kind of Satan-worshipper, in which case I can only laugh at you.

From the Christian perspective, fundamentalist has traditionally referred to any follower of Christ who believes that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and who believes in its literal interpretation and fundamental teachings. The fundamental Christian believes in the experience of the "new birth" which occurs when faith is placed in Christ as Savior and Lord. To the world this may be viewed as radical, but is very basic to the Christian faith.

Unless you are some kind of Satan-worshipper, in which case I can only laugh at you.

Christ... That's just pure ignorance right there.

The bible is a book written by humans; it's word is not necessarily law.

Here is the crux, the bible was written by, and has remained in the hands of the most devious, selfish, destructive, vindictive, greedy spiteful malevolant spiecies on the planet, men. Again, I ask who decides what gets taken seriously and what doesn't?

• Advertisement

what do you expect? he's christian.

Advertisement