Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicine course

Options
  • 21-08-2005 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

I'm interested in a career in medicine. Could someone who is doing(or did) the medical degree tell me what its like? Hours, difficulty, course content etc.

cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

You must be a bright spark! Having 600 points in your LC would be a good start for a career in medicine. (stating the obvious I know)

One of the girls on this thread panda100 is a medicine student so I'm sure she'll pop up with all the gory details about medicine soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Gwyllin

Well, my impression is that the medicine course is time-consuming, time-demanding and you must deeply devote yourself to it. Other than that, it is an advantage to have a load of money because it costs big time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I dont know about the other 6 odd years, but in first year (pre-med) they have very few hours and very little work really. They just go over the basics of physics, chemistry and biology that you have to know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

shane0312 wrote:
    I'm interested in a career in medicine. Could someone who is doing(or did) the medical degree tell me what its like? Hours, difficulty, course content etc.

cheers

I know one guy that's coming towards the end of his degree. He is in the premier league in terms of acedemic ability alright, having got nigh on 600 and A1s in all three sciences (which buys you straight into second year), but then he did study 24/7, so you get what you deserve really.

All I know is that you've got looong hours, and a shortened summer break as well - they're already back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

any foundation year med students i talked to said they only had between 12/16 hours mostly which is about the same as arts. I'm sure that increases greatly in subsequent years but their first year seems a doddle. Havinbg said that, i'm sure our resident med student panda100 will give you a lot more details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Am heading into fourth year now in med in ucd.Pre med we had something like 6hours a week-its just the 3basic sciences and computers.You have a lot of time to get to know your class and things and there is lots of social events organised for med students and you'l know everyone in all the years in med by the end of your first year.I dont find the hours particularly long-u wil probably have only 1 lecture on wed and fri but tues and thurs your mainly in 9-5!i wouldnt be the most intelligent in my class so i do have to work hard in order to pass but saying that i have a very healthy social life and anyone that knows me would say i go out at least twice a week and still have a lot of time to get involved in societys and sports.The lecturers are generally good cept for a few who try and make it more complicated than it is-dr brannigan who does neuro is a killer!then u head into hospitals-either vincents or the mater in janurary of fourth year and then your in the hospitals for the next two years.You get different holidays from everyone else then-i go back on the 15th but in for christmas this year i have two and a half months off and dont have to go back till the 16th feb which is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shane0312

cool.thanks panda its good to hear feedback from someone doing the course :)

Advertisement