Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exceeding BT Broadband Limit

• 21-08-2005 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭

I'm on the 12GB per month download limit with BT. I think I've downloaded 24GB in the past two weeks. As for the upload limit... I think it's about 2GB or something and have probably exceeded that by twenty-fold.

I've heard that eircom aren't charging their own customers for extra bandwidth. Does anybody know if it's the same for BT? Or am I going to be stung with a massive bill?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

ive went over my 24gb limit by 6gb last month and i never got charged for it, but they reserve the right to.
    id say they would notice if it was a constant download and basically taking the piss. if your previous months were over they may charge but if you havnt gone over before they may leave it.
    but still double your download cap is heavy, so just beware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

:(

We need to have one of these threads as a sticky. In red, size 48 text. That blinks. That way, people might actually not think that they are the first to ever ask this question.

Or, God forbid, people might use the search function.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Lets make a sticky, i agree

Search function HERE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 845 ✭✭✭sturgo

thanx nred.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

sturgo wrote:
    I'm on the 12GB per month download limit with BT. I think I've downloaded 24GB in the past two weeks. As for the upload limit... I think it's about 2GB or something and have probably exceeded that by twenty-fold.

I've heard that eircom aren't charging their own customers for extra bandwidth. Does anybody know if it's the same for BT? Or am I going to be stung with a massive bill?

So.....24GB in the last 2 weeks.....and mabye 5 or 6 GB in the first week???

Well you'll end up at around 30-35GB by the end of the month.

Honestly though I get around the 30-35GB a month...BUT Im on the 2Mb package which should give me more leeway than those on 1Mb as the extra money we pay goes a long way in purchaseing extra download capacity.

In fairness though, BT should really only charge people if the area suffers poor connection speeds, and it can be traced back to a couple of high downloaders.

IMHO if BT actually charge you I and many others will be surprised.....but it appears you will have downloaded ~300% of your CAP....which would be 72GB in my case....and I would certainly expect to get charged if I downloaded 72GB in a month!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I'm on the 2mb BT package and have been doing 30-50gb per month since moving to 2mb, and c. 20-30gb per month on the old 512k package.

never been charged for going over yet.

as the man said though, it's been said 100 times before.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vunderground

I went over the BT 24gb download cap for the first time last month by about 1gb. At the beginning of this month instead of the usual 0 I began with 1gb or so downloaded. In other words my allowance for this month is 23gb. I have a direct debit so I don't know about any charges yet. This seems to be unusual?

I went over the BT 24gb download cap for the first time last month by about 1gb. At the beginning of this month instead of the usual 0 I began with 1gb or so downloaded. In other words my allowance for this month is 23gb. I have a direct debit so I don't know about any charges yet. This seems to be unusual?

The CAP allowance wont roll over to the next month wether in the red or with 20GB unused the previous month.

Ive explained at length in the past about the CAP calculation on the last couple and first couple of days of a new month.
    Needless to say using BT's system a new month begins on the second to last day of the previous month...all and every month due to the way things are calculated.

can people even read?

cap50.jpg

i've been a serial downloader for about 8 months now, and there's no sign of me being charged yet.

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote:
    can people even read?

cap50.jpg

i've been a serial downloader for about 8 months now, and there's no sign of me being charged yet.

Well vibe666 your 6GB ahead of me in downlaod and 2GB ahead of me in uplaod :eek: :eek: :(:( :eek:

Just checked my stats and was pretty shocked on how high it was for this time of the month!!!

I'm going to lay off on the downloading for the rest of the month and try and get it ~45GB.
    Even at 45GB its going to be 10GB over my normal monthly download total....but I've only ever been under the monthly CAP once...many months ago!!!

i actually had a little shock there this morning before i posted that as my modem was disconnected. thought they'd booted me when I had hit 50gb or something, but power cycled the modem and it let me reconnect (they used to disconnect you till the 1st of the following month if you rebooted your modem after going over), so it's all good.

good thing too, we just got mortgage approval, and it'd be a killer to be stuck without net access to house hunt till next month!

i didn't go over my cap during the free trial, but was only under it for the first month after that, then someone said not to worry, so i didn't!
    [align=right]13.16.137.11[/align]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Just thought id mention that UTV Has cut me off 2 months ago for going over my cap (It was only at 9gb also).

I figured that i wont stand for this, immediately cancelled my subscription and went to Esat BT. Not only that, but I fix a lot of computers in my local area, always recommended UTV, stopped reccomending them now. When I wanted to get UTV to put my line back online and just charge me for the extra bandwidth, that took another 4 days!
    In the end there was just 2 days of the month left, might aswell have waited it out.

donutface wrote:
    Just thought id mention that UTV Has cut me off 2 months ago for going over my cap (It was only at 9gb also).

I figured that i wont stand for this, immediately cancelled my subscription and went to Esat BT. Not only that, but I fix a lot of computers in my local area, always recommended UTV, stopped reccomending them now. When I wanted to get UTV to put my line back online and just charge me for the extra bandwidth, that took another 4 days!
    In the end there was just 2 days of the month left, might aswell have waited it out.

They actually disconnected your BB!!!
    Dammit man...good move to BT though :cool:

Im certain that my downloading has no effect on others in my area as I leave my major downloads until about 23:00 and leave them go over night if I must...but rarely ever have anything downloading during the day(07:00-20:00).

Why they insist on scaring people with download CAPs I dont know as 95% of people dont even reach half their CAP by the end of the month.
    The other 5% of people probable use all and more though....hahaha.

In Australia the CAP is much more heavily enforced as most ISP's have a UTV type of policy in chargeing/disconnecting or throttling if you over download.
    Of the 3 my choice would be throttling to a lower download speed for the rest of the month once the CAP is reached as one of the beauties of BB is the price stability.

Advertisement