Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Missing Registration?

Options
  • 21-08-2005 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

What happens if you can't go to the first week of registration? I think I'll be in UCD but the registration is on the week I'm away at a wedding. Anybody know if its compulsory to be there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭bounty_hunter

Absolutely compulsory, you'll lose your place if you don't turn up in person for registration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Are you sure? I can't imagine that's the case, maybe ring them up tomorrow and make sure. I'm sure they make exceptions...

Yep, I'm pretty sure. You can get someone else to accept/reject offers on your behalf, but you absolutely have to turn up for registration yourself. Otherwise what's to stop people just ****ing about with course places with no intention of taking them at all?

There's a possibility they'll make exceptions for serious reasons, such as hospitalisation or something, but colleges expect your future education to be more of a priority than, for example, going to a wedding.

Wow, I guess that makes sense. Cheers bud.

No sweat :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'd contact the college directly to see what the story is. I know in Trinity all first years register during the week before lectures begin ('freshers week'), and it can be absolute chaos. They do a 'mopping' up registration of first years the next week who, for whatever reason, missed registration that week.

One year i missed the January re-registration (show up, sign a bit of paper so the college can claim the fees from the state) as i was away so i emailed the admin ppl in advance and they allowed me to re-register late (without paying the fine that the college use as the stick to goad us into doing those kind of things on time).

Tbh, i think the college will be more concerned about you paying the registration fee, which has to be done in advance via a bank giro that they send you (unless you receive the maintenance grant, then i think you only have to pay any levies that the college has, eg a sports facilities fund). Once the registration fee has been paid they kinda know you're going to show up - there's probably some final date that you absolutely have to register by though.

I'd ask Vainglory if I were you DaveMcG, she's in the students' union in UCD, Dublin, and she knows her stuff. Send her a PM. She'll find out for sure...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Yep, I'm pretty sure. You can get someone else to accept/reject offers on your behalf, but you absolutely have to turn up for registration yourself. Otherwise what's to stop people just ****ing about with course places with no intention of taking them at all?

sorry to be a bear with a sore head but if u applied thru cao/cas u actually accept the course thru them not the college directly and registration is only a formallity to pay ur fee's etc just call them and make alternative arrangements

Myth wrote:
    I'd ask Vainglory if I were you DaveMcG, she's in the students' union in UCD, Dublin, and she knows her stuff. Send her a PM. She'll find out for sure...

Cheers, but it doesn't matter for me, I'll be at registration anyway, I was just wondering, for the OP. Thanks though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭mickymg2003

Ok il stick this in on this thread but can anybody tell me abount registration fees an how much they are?Im going To DKIT an cant find out on there site how much the registration fee is or wether there is one.I'm Kinda in the dark about this because i had a crap guidence councellor in school an im just badly informed.Some help would be brilliant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

Ok il stick this in on this thread but can anybody tell me abount registration fees an how much they are?Im going To DKIT an cant find out on there site how much the registration fee is or wether there is one.I'm Kinda in the dark about this because i had a crap guidence councellor in school an im just badly informed.Some help would be brilliant.
    €750-€800, if you get a grant then the council pay it.

pauln wrote:
    €750-€800, if you get a grant then the council pay it.

Literally half way. It's €775.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

i missed my first 3 weeks of college last year(1st year) and it was grand, just ring up and sort it out with your dept head, i was working in france and couldnt leave til then, they were a bit groggy but grand over it

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's a possibility they'll make exceptions for serious reasons, such as hospitalisation or something, but colleges expect your future education to be more of a priority than, for example, going to a wedding.
    LOL, stop taking the piss.

OP, don't worry about missing registration. As someone said, ring up the faculty office, and explain the situation. Once you've accepted the place, it's pretty much yours. Unless UCD don't get any contact from you for months, they're not going to strike you off or give away your place.

There is absolutely no necessity to be at registration at the time they tell you. However, UCD is a huge place, and your life will be made much easier because there are signs telling you where to go, and you won't get disapproving looks in the Admin building when you're registering with 2nd years.

lol... bastard... :p

Thanks seamus ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea you'll be grand, worst cast you'll have to apy a late registration charge, but you wont be horse whipped for it

Advertisement