Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've seen everything..

Options
  • 21-08-2005 11:20pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.microprocessor.sscc.ru/great/s1.html
    An example of this microprocessor is a small PC board called the BASIC Stamp, consisting of 2 ICs - an 18-pin PIC 16C56 CPU (with a BASIC interpreter in 512 word ROM (yes, 512)) and 8-pin 256 byte serial EEPROM (also made by Microchip) on an I/O port where user programs (about 80 tokenized lines of BASIC) are stored.

Ok a Basic interpreter in 512 Bytes is small but.. it has an easter egg too :eek:
    http://www.eeggs.com/items/27494.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Says 512 words not bytes. But doesn't say what size a word is for that processor. At a guess though looks like a byte.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭PhantomBeaker

" The PIC 16x is an interesting look at an 8 bit design made with slightly newer design techniques than other 8 bit CPUs in this list - around 1978 by General Instruments (the 1650, a successor to the more general 1600). It lost out to more popular CPUs and was later sold to Microchip Technology, which still sells it for small embedded applications. An example... " (the rest is quoted above)

From that it's almost definately an 8-bit word... given that they're talking about 8-bit cpus in the same breath.

P.B.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

Not necessarily... when referring to an 8 bit processor, the 8 bits is the instruction word length, but when referring to storage, it's the length of a data word... i.e. how much can be shifted in one cycle or the size of a register.

Advertisement