Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Little yellow signs

Options
  • 21-08-2005 11:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Does anybody know what those little yellow signs that the councils put up all over the roadside's a few years ago? They are really small and have two lines of 4 digit numbers on them?

Are they supposed to be telling me something? I can't find any info about them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

N7

like that?

The road you're on and a location on that road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 tigerbalm

Yeah - thats the one!

BTW, how does 0147 tell me my location? My OSI map of ireland book doesn't seem to have any such markings. Are there special maps available with all those signs marked on them ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

it's the distance in kms from the start of the road the 0147 is either 14.7 (more likely) or 147km from the start of the N7

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Sounds like the mile-markers that they have on US highways - if you're in an accident or something and you need to call the emergency services, you give them the number off the nearest one of these signs to help them locate you quicker. Particularly useful in the middle of nowhere with no landmarks around.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I haven't been able to find any discernable pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I think I recall noticing they were in 10ths of a mile, but it was a few years ago so I can't remember for sure. It was just odd as they started appearing after the distance signposts were (mostly) in km.

Advertisement