Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First days of First Year?

• 21-08-2005 11:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭

Hey just wondering when first year college students usually come in for their first time to get to know the place etc. and get set up there. And also does anyone know when computer applications for first year usually kicks off? end of september?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭sillisome fiend

Its on the dcu website http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/ac_05_06.shtml I think they all start around 26th sept. Registration is a week or two before that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Yus, oh I remember my first day.

I stayed in my grandads the night before. And I had never been to DCU before hand. Only knew the bus to get. Was on the 17a, there was a girl in a DCU jumper. Hadnt a breeze where I was going. I followed her. Talked to her then. She told me where to go, was helping firsties as it turned out. The rest is history.

I know you didnt ask. But it is a good memory. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Orientation Week is the first week for first years if i remember rightly.....what a waste of a week ZZZzzzzZZZZ (Except for the dis-orientation ball :D )

Then freshers week....WOhhhoooo!! Bring on the drunkin madness (again!!!) ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

wooly69 wrote:
    *Note to Self* Must take part more this year, if i make it through these repeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Indeedy, Orientation Week for first years starts a week before the exams. Use that time to find your way around and also register in the library. Also make sure and go to the disOrientation Ball, hell even if your not in first year go as its a great way to meet people and have some fun! :D

Lectures for CAs will start on the 26th afaik, with your labs starting a week or two later.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭Anarking

Rhyme wrote:
    *Note to Self* Must take part more this year, if i make it through these repeats

You a first year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey just wondering when first year college students usually come in for their first time to get to know the place etc. and get set up there. And also does anyone know when computer applications for first year usually kicks off? end of september?

Sure, if you're not up to anything over the next couple of days, just come in and have a walk about the campus, get to know your way around, etc.....
    It's pretty quiet in DCU at the moment apart from a few ppl in for exams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

orientation week starts Monday 19th September for all first year students

Registration, talks, settling in etc, meeting new friends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭neGev

stringy wrote:
    orientation week starts Monday 19th September for all first year students

Drinking, getting drunk, eating, drinking more

I fixed your typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Hah, nice correction... :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

neGev wrote:
    I fixed your typo.

LOL how accurate! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 celticlass68

wooly69 wrote:
    Orientation Week is the first week for first years if i remember rightly.....what a waste of a week ZZZzzzzZZZZ (Except for the dis-orientation ball :D )

What's the dis-orientation ball??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

What's the dis-orientation ball??

Its a night out for all first years (+ whoever else is up for it) in a so called "mystery venue".....its usuallt on the thursday nite of orientation week - so in otherwords its just a good piss up + a good chance to meet new faces in your year / class!!!!

So go....u will hear bout it in your first week!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RosConor

If your staying on Campus (or know someone that is) the first week for 1st years is one big party. Can't remember too much of it from last year but I know it was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Anarking wrote:
    You a first year?
    Nay, if the exams go well then ill be a second year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Lynibeth

Oh, the "freshers ball"?? What's all that about?? What about the others who aren't 18??

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Freshers = First years
    Ball = college lingo for event or pi$$ up or party

People who arent 18 cant go to events where alcohol is sold, sadly, so you'll either need to get fake* id and have someone sign you in, or wait til you turn 18.

*this is bold, against the law, don't do it :D

Advertisement