Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wifi Laptop + non-Wifi Desktop -> easiest way to Wifi Network?

• 22-08-2005 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This is yet another newbie question, apologies!

I've recently got a laptop which is Wifi enabled (Dell Inspiron 6000 - surprised how good it is so far!), and have a Desktop PC also in the house.

What I want to do for the moment is set up a wireless network, so that the 2 of these can share files, and I can access the Desktop printer (this is connected via a USB cable, I'm aware the Desktop will have to be switched on for this). I'm also thinking of Broadband, so will want to be able to plug the DSL modem in fairly easily.

Is a Wireless Access Point which I connect to the PC all I need? Like this one from Linksys: http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=306150&cks=PRL

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Yup, thats all you need. If you leave that router from komplett close enough to the PC, and connect it using a CAT5 (I think thats what they're called) cable, you'll be abe to access PC from your laptop. But for better range, as in if you want to be able to leave the router anywhere in the house just get a wifi pci card for the PC, they only cost about €30. This isn't necessary though!

Actually on second inspection, you'd be better off with this http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=302154&cks=PRL
    The one you posted only has one 100baseT ethernet port which is most likely where your broadband modem is going to connect to, so you won't have space for your PC. The one I posted has 4 ports, and also an extra one for internet. Comes highly recommended, I use it myself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Cheers for that Zapho!

So this device from 3Com - the Wireless Router - acts as an Access Point as well? i.e. connect my PC via the ethernet port, Laptop via Wifi, and in the future the DSL modem to give both internet access?

Advertisement