Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got BT Modem - setup help please

• 22-08-2005 9:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭

Just got the modem this morning.
    Have it connected to the phone line and PC via USB.
    Getting all the correct lights on indicating all ok.
    Started up ok and entered in settings / username etc.. but wasnt connecting.
    I presume my username is probably wrong.
    I rebooted, and now my PC cant seem to connect to modem - when I enter address into url bar to change the settings, nothing comes up.
    The status come up as "limited or no connection".

Anyone know how to resolve?

Cant seem to get through to tech support at the mo, so any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Markjf

I would reset the modem the button should be at the back and then try again. you did load all the usb drivers for the modem first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

yup - drivers and all loaded.
    I did get through to the setup page via the IP for the modem.
    Unless that changed now?
    Thanks for the reply

the address should be 192.168.1.1 it's standard and then you should get the loging page, try deleteing your cookies and history files if that don't work unplug the usb cable reboot and plug it back in

yup - still no joy.
    Cant seem to get the Local Area Connection.
    Tried all above... reboots etc..
    It did work first time round, and the modem is showing up ok on device settings.
    I can see its sending out packets, but nothings coming back.

could be a firewall but if it worked the frist time , windows xp comes with a firewall built in so maybe go to control panel and turn that off, also try turning of your anti-virus some of them come with firewalls as well

• Advertisement

also if you are using a dail up connection on the same pc i found you need to delete that and then reboot for the broadband connection to work that happen when i set up the brothers modem

done that also.
    Just noted that the IP seems to be in the range 169.254.xxx and not the default.
    Bah... so annoying given that it ws working!
    Any more tips?
    I'm really a newbie with this side of setting up.

What i would do is go right back to the start, uninstall the driver, reset the modem (it will only delete what you have put in nothing else ) and then unplug the usb. from here start over and see how it goes reload the driver plug the usb back in and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Note: theres a mistake in the setup guide. Where it says that your username should be [name]@BTBB, it should be [Name]@BTBB.ie When you correct this you should connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nsr

u just beat me to that point.

i was using the same router and decided to go wireless.

i bought a cable and wireless router, and having gone through all the procedures of installation, i now cant make a connection. does anyone know of a conflict between the installed prestige router as supplied by bt and the c&w modem/router

• Advertisement

Note: theres a mistake in the setup guide. Where it says that your username should be [name]@BTBB, it should be [Name]@BTBB.ie When you correct this you should connect
    thanks for that.
    If only I tried that first time round!
    However, I can not now even access the setup wizard as the Local Area Connection keeps failing to the modem.
    I've reinstalled / rebooted etc... and checked all cables/power and still no luck.
    Is there any settings I can change to help?

I was going to say that when we got back into the control panel of the modem but good call, I had the that same problem when i first set mine up.

Is there another pc you could use to try and connect to the modem that would tell if it is the modem or your pc

thanks for al ur help folks.
    I just tried using the Ethernet Connection instead and it worked!
    Must have been an odd connection with USB or something.
    Anyway, now enjoying high speed connection! Such a different experience...
    Thanks again.

that's great, welcome to broadband internet, the only way to surf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

i use ethernet all the way, never trust USB, even if it does work.
    ethernet is way simpler to troubleshoot

Oh and welcome to Broadband

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

On my BT BB my username is *********@iolbb.
    You could try that.

eer, ok forget that. :rolleyes:
    Enjoy your surfing! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I was just talking to someone last night about this. Im gonna be over in their house at about 12 today to try and fix their "limtied or no connectivity" issues. But I got them to do a few things. They cant even get into the modem by entering the URL 192.168.1.1 or even 192.168.2.1 etc etc

Im hoping its the USB. Im gonna change their connection to ethernet. I think they are NTL digital or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

The same thing happened to me when i was using usb. To get over it, i think i just disabled the connection and then re-enabled it. Failing that you should just completely disconnect and uninstall any drivers for the modem, and remove it form your device manager, and then reconnect it, reinstalling the drivers

Advertisement