Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dartmaps (Google maps project)

• 22-08-2005 10:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭

This is pretty cool, realtime location of Darts using the googlemaps api:

http://www.mackers.com/projects/dartmaps/

(apologies if this has been previously posted - a search on "dartmaps" yielded nothing...

davej

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Stone Bone

Yeah, that would be dead handy, if we were in Germany maybe! Yer man compiled this based on the train timetables, so u can be guaranteed each marker on that map is wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Stone Bone wrote:
    Yeah, that would be dead handy, if we were in Germany maybe! Yer man compiled this based on the train timetables, so u can be guaranteed each marker on that map is wrong!

"I'm taking the realtime suburban rail info from IrishRail.ie, scraping it into a useful data structure, then writing it to XML. I then plot this onto Google Maps, with the help of the routes and stations data file."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 642 ✭✭✭strassenwolf

Phew! That looked like there was going to be a crash out at Howth Junction.

Pretty good. Clever guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

I've just watched on run straight through Connolly. It didn't even slow down :eek:

Nice job though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

that is class!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Hate to spoil the party but the online information system is shaky at best, cancelled trains actually appear and run as if on time. Don't trust it on anything south of Bray or west of Druncondra since the computer hasn't got data for that but still shows the trains

Its a neat application of the technologly but what would be truly cool would be a live version of the real thing, the actual signaling mimic on the wall in the control office in Connolly, DB have done it in Germany

The real time info can only get better with time so we should be seeing more of this kind of thing which can only be good. Fair play to the guy behind it he got no help from IE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Would be interesting if someone could do a gmaps for the DRP/Interconnector/DART to Maynooth & Kildare/Navan line reopening so people could compare :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭Lennoxschips

According to that map there are only four or five trains on the entire network at any one time, or is that something to do with my browser?

(Or is public transportation in Dublin really that crap?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Great idea, but even regardless of the trains its an excellent online streetmap of Dublin City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

Map only shows DART services and doesn't seem to show services sitting waiting to depart from terminus, not does it show any services beyond the DART area

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

this must have been one of those new 8 carriage darts!
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

www.aircoach.ie has a better implementation on their website under "Live Postion". I presume its GPS / GRPS based or some such.

Oddly they also plot the location of the busses that operate to the long-stay car-parks which confuses me into thinking they always have an excess of busses at the airport.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭jubbly

i love the graphic for the trains :D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Ernest

I thought the little trains zipping along were brilliant. If they represent the real positions of real trains even better - if not they are still great fun. Only thing that bothered me was the appearance in the east of a new offshore island referred to as "Quilean an Bhulla". What the f***ks that? A new Jamon O'Queeve initiative perhaps? Anyway, congratulations to the designer of the Dart Real Time graphic. Very impressive.
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Ernest wrote:
    Only thing that bothered me was the appearance in the east of a new offshore island referred to as "Quilean an Bhulla". What the f***ks that? A new Jamon O'Queeve initiative perhaps? :D
    A frequent problem with Google Maps ... they seem to pick and choose Irish (some of which aren't to be found on any map) and English names apparently at random. Google Earth is the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yeah, its really stupid how much Irish appears on that map.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It is mean to be "Oileán an Bhulla" - Bull Island.

Advertisement