Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maiden in UK Top Ten Shocker

Options
  • 22-08-2005 10:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭

Thats right, Maiden and their re-issue of The Trooper have struck number 5 in the UK charts - thoughts, opinions?

Even after all these years, The Trooper is still a great song with a damn catchy riff

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Fair play. Expect Union Jacks aplenty at the RDS.

Did ye hear about this?

BLABBERMOUTH.NET has received a number of e-mails regarding last night's (August 20) Ozzfest concert in Devore (near San Bernardino), California, which reportedly included an on-stage appearance following IRON MAIDEN's set by Sharon Osbourne during which she called MAIDEN vocalist Bruce Dickinson a "prick." The following report was submitted by David Priest, editor-in-chief of On Track Magazine:

"Last night's [August 20] headlining performance of IRON MAIDEN at Ozzfest in San Bernardino, CA rendered some interesting, if not disturbing, results. Although MAIDEN played one hell of a show, they were under attack from the moment they began their set. From the time they hit the stage, they suffered power loss on at least three occasions and they were continuously pelted with ice, bottle caps, and eggs, among other things. Vocalist Bruce Dickinson was even spit on by one attendee. He seemed to believe these occurrences were not by accident and insinuated that they had been planned from the beginning of the night [Download MP3 files of Bruce's on-stage rants at last night's Ozzfest: Bruce#1, Bruce#2]. He also encouraged the other audience members to break the arm of anyone that they saw throwing things their way. Upon concluding their performance, the emcee for the evening began to chant Ozzy, Ozzy while Bruce was still speaking. Bruce retaliated by chanting MAIDEN. After he left the stage, Sharon Osbourne took over the mic and informed the crowd that they absolutely loved IRON MAIDEN and their crew and stated that they were all wonderful but that their singer Bruce Dickinson was a prick and had disrespected Ozzfest since they began their stint with the touring summer festival [Download MP3 file of Sharon's anti-Bruce rant at this location]. This, of course, came as a shock to those of us in attendance and the there was ample confusion and speculation from audience members there after. As previously announced, last night's show marked the final performance of IRON MAIDEN on this year's Ozzfest. VELVET REVOLVER will be taking over their slot on the last remaining dates."

Here are a few more eyewitness accounts, as submitted by BLABBERMOUTH.NET readers:

"Tonight was the last show of IRON MAIDEN's leg of the Ozzfest. Unfortunately the rest of the tour will have that spot filled by VELVET REVOLVER. There has been some sniping and such going on during this tour between Ozzy's camp and Bruce Dickinson, but that had been kept for the most part away from the fans it appears. So, IRON MAIDEN is playing a 55-minute set (though they've played full shows on the nights SABBATH cancelled on this tour because Ozzy can't to back to back nights.)

"MAIDEN is about to come on and right before a voice on the PA starts chanting 'Ozzy, Ozzy.' MAIDEN comes on and starts getting pelted with eggs from one area of the pit. Some dude has three dozen eggs. Bruce calls this out quickly. Next, during 'The Trooper', where Bruce waves a large British flag, some big dude painted red walks out from backstage with an American flag and on his back painted 'Don't f(#$ with Ozzy).' Tackled, he appeared off stage again. Then after Bruce declared 'You'll never hear MAIDEN on U.S. radio, MTV and certainly never see them in a reality show,' he says they will play 60 minutes, not 55. So, during two of their most popular songs (note: they are only playing songs from the first four albums, so 40,000 metalheads and idiots are going nuts), their PA and power goes off. Unbelievable, they handled it fine as almost if they expected it. They then do an encore and Bruce says something about the 'We the People' and nobody is going to stop them, not eggs, a guy spitting on them (until Bruce had him tossed) or a PA hoax and they play two more songs. Then they finish and are bowing and saying goodnight and the Ozzy voice comes on to chant, Bruce tries to change it to MAIDEN chant and then says, 'Are you as sick of this BS 'cause we are.' And they walk off.

"THEN: Sharon [Osbourne] comes on stage and asks for everyone’s attention and half ass praises and thanks IRON MAIDEN but say the singer Bruce is a prick and has been slagging the tour. 40,000 are stunned and start to boo and throw stuff, but most were stunned by the surreal moment. SABBATH then came out and did a good set like last year's with a much improved, yet hoarse, Ozzy. They started doing medleys thought, not good. But the rest, eesh."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

aye, and it looks and sounds like a complete Sharon/Ozzfest v Maiden thingy - a lot of pro Maiden/anti-Ozzfest messages on Blabbermouth over this.

Especially over the question on how a guy (with such tight security) managed to belt Maiden with 36 eggs - many people claim he was a plant in the crowd - which sounds more plausible then anything else I can think of - other then maybe he wanted to make the first Ozzfest omlette

Sharon Osbourne has posted the following statement at the official Ozzfest website (Ozzfest.com):

"LAST SHOW FOR MAIDEN

Iron Maiden were chosen for the Ozzfest tour because the Ozzfest committee felt they were a good band, plus the fact that they had not done shows in the U.S. for some time. From day one, Bruce Dickinson started berating Ozzy and belittling the Ozzfest audience. He stated he "didn’t need a reality show to give him credibility"; "we're not just some ****ing reunion band"; and continuously complained about the sound system, saying that when he comes back to America he’ll have a better one. I understand he hasn’t toured in the U.S.in these size venues in a while and no longer understands the political structure of things. Out of 200-plus bands over the last 10 years, he has been the only person who hasn’t had the Ozzfest spirit. He thought he was at a battle of the bands, always making other comments about the other artists.

Might I say, the rest of the band are gentlemen and have a great professional attitude. The crew are absolutely great. But how sad it was, after 10 years, that this little man tried to ruin it for everyone. The bands of Ozzfest don’t even look at Ozzfest as touring, but as its heavy metal summer camp. Bruce is in fact a jealous prick and very envious. None of his tirades were directed at Sabbath, only Ozzy. Steve Harris [Iron Maiden's bassist] personally came to Ozzy in San Bernardino and apologized for Bruce’s behavior this summer, stating that he and the rest of the band were "embarrassed" by their own singer.

It also offended me every night how he took out the English flag in America. There are American boys going to war alongside the English boys every day. How dare he forget the American troops on their home turf. He has had no respect for the American audience he has been playing for, stating in an interview, "When you do the 'hits' tour here [in the U.S.], the audience is smug, and there's a sense of self-satisfaction, like, 'We got what we wanted…I'm looking at an audience that is self-satisfied and happy and fat, and getting what it wants and isn't prepared to get off its ass.."

Before there was Samson there was SABBATH!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Bloody hell. I don't know. Mrs. Osborne isn't doing herself any favours with that, I feel.

But did anyone else pick up on:
    Ozzfest concert in Devore
    ?

he has been the only person who hasn’t had the Ozzfest spirit

Hmmm, you mean the spirit of charging the fad-bands of the day $100,000 to appear at the festival/merchfest regardless of talent, ability or quality? The festival where the US Marines have paid for the privilege of having enlistment tents a few hundred yards from where Black Sabbath would play War Pigs (when Ozzy's voice was up to it). Can you blame him?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 953 ✭✭✭superconor

It also offended me every night how he took out the English flag in America.

Didnt think that would be a problem in America.

I agree with Maiden on the aspect that how the hell does someone bring 36 eggs into a concert? Steve Harris told the crowd to break the arms of anyone who is trying to throw stuff. I would say we will hear a mighty rant in nine days!

PS Nine Days.

PPS NINE DAY!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

Jesus, such pettiness. i dont think i've heard of such childish behavior since...well since Britney's first wedding!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

as much as i despise(stressed) maiden,that was ridiculous.they shouldn't have been gotton so much ****....well maybe...:)
    security etc should be questioned a lot,'oh these eggs are for my post show omelette'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Christ, that is just a pathetic read. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Spider_Baby!

Is it Sharon who was going on about the English flag in America? I thought she was english?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

Sharon Osbourne is a ballbag.

Maiden handled the whole thing like professionals, if anything it'll increase their popularity in America. To be honest I'm not that surprised that Maiden made it into the top 10 with The Trooper. The songs kicks ass and classic metal is getting more popular every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

This isnt doing Sharon, or Ozzfest any good in my books. Maiden could have done a whole lot worse considering what they were putting up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

392361.jpeg

=

wagon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Sharons osbourne is a loudmouth geebag. She thrives on drama, loves the sound of her own voice. All shes famous for is being on a reality tv show ffs. Before 'the osbournes' if anyone had heard of her, she was just 'ozzys wife' and thats it. That show, and her, made ozzy look like a bumbling old fart, i wasnt even a sabbath fan, but i can see how some people think his image has been ruined by that show. Fair play to maiden (who im aslo not a huge fan of) for sticking to thier guns and playing the full set, not storming off like prima donnas.
    also, id just liek to add, i have the ORIGINAL double vinyl edition of 'the trooper' single at home from when it was first released hehe..i think i was 8 or 9 when i bought it :D

Deadwing wrote:
    also, id just liek to add, i have the ORIGINAL double vinyl edition of 'the trooper' single at home from when it was first released hehe..i think i was 8 or 9 when i bought it :D

You mean the reissues they put out in the late 80's? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Deadwing wrote:
    also, id just liek to add, i have the ORIGINAL double vinyl edition of 'the trooper' single at home from when it was first released hehe..i think i was 8 or 9 when i bought it
    Snap, although mine is spelt better and I was 18 or 19 when I bought it...

TBH, Ozzfest, the Osbournes and all the circus surrounding it seems to masquerade the obvious to me - Ozzy can no longer cut the mustard. Maybe he could in the re-union tour of 10 years ago, but he's now obsolete in the field that he helped to create. While Bruce "Air raid sieren" Dickinson is still in full voice and out there frenzying crowds and releasing great new albums with Maiden.

I can see why Ozzy might get really pissed off at Dickinson, but, ****'em, guess who I'm seeing next week :D

Deadwing wrote:
    She thrives on drama, loves the sound of her own voice.

Well, someone has to, I suppose. :)

Maiden's own "message to the fans" Is worded interestingly.

Doctor J wrote:
    You mean the reissues they put out in the late 80's? ;)
    quite possibly..but its original!!
    I remember listening to the 'listen with nico' bit when i was a kid, and he was banging on about banana daquiris and how they were a 'poof's drink'..back then i didnt know what A) a poof or B) a banan daquiri was so i guess the story was kinda lost on me lol. Guess you wouldnt hear that on an album nowadays tho for fear of being 'homophobic' :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I smell a PR stunt!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

For anyone still interested, here's Rod Smallwood's (Maiden's manager) press statement on the matter:

"Maiden are currently returning from America and preparing for UK festivals this weekend and don't wish to waste time giving Sharon Osbourne's statement the dignity of a reply. Considering the disgraceful nature of the events that occurred they feel it's a pretty dismal effort at self justification and they don't think Metal fans are at all gullible and that they will easily see through it. They want no more to do with this sorry incident and are very much looking forward to headlining Reading and Leeds Festivals this weekend.

I would however like to add my own comment on this.

In 30 years in this business and after attending hundreds of gigs l have never seen anything anywhere near as disgusting and unprofessional as what went on that night. I was standing on our sound desk out front as usual but ran to the stage as soon as the hail of missiles began and from then on watched from the front of the stage right next to Bruce's walkway. The scale, viciousness and concentration of the throwing made it obvious that this was a premeditated and co-ordinated attack. Assaulting musicians while performing by throwing bottle tops, lighters and eggs at them from just a few yards away is vile, dangerous, criminal and cowardly. It is incredible that Ozzfest security apparently did nothing about it - aren't they there to protect the bands too? Especially when the band is concentrating on a performance in front of 45,000 people and the missiles are coming out of the glare of the spotlights. And to spit at a band on stage is unforgivable.

Iron Maiden, like all the bands on Ozzfest, had to sign quite onerous legal documents part of which was promising not to throw anything into the audience, even wristbands!!! Ironic isn't it.

It is well documented on the web who was responsible for planning and participating in this attack and for musicians to join in this assault on other musicians is a shocking disgrace akin to treachery. You should all be thoroughly ashamed of yourselves.

We know who authorised the making of the 'ozzy - ozzy' chant tape the day before and how it was played secretly through the PA at the very beginning and end of our set.

We also know who continually turned off the power interrupting our set at crucial moments. It is a good thing that the power was turned back on before there was a riot as you could sense on stage a lot of the huge audience were getting totally pissed off at this continual onslaught on the band.

The great majority of the Ozzfest crew throughout the tour were terrific and we thank them. Those who participated or stood idly by and watched as this all went down should also be ashamed of themselves and l would certainly hope they never come near a tour with which we are involved.

There is little point in my commenting on the chap with the flag or their trying to hold up Eddie or Sharon's speech as the audience made their feelings very clear on each occasion.

And in the end what was all this about?? If l had any sort of problem or misunderstanding with a band working on a tour we were involved in l would go and talk to them or their manager - not wait until the end of a tour and assault and ambush them. Or was that really it?

I find it staggering that this ambush would take place in front of any audience, let alone in San Bernardino, the biggest audience of the tour. Didn't that audience merit any consideration? They pay an awful lot to be there in terms of prices for tickets, parking, food, beer etc. Surely if they spend this sort of money they deserve to watch the bands they paid to see be able to put in a full unhindered performance. Free of danger and intimidation. If I had paid I would ask for my money back!

And this audience really were outstanding, giving the band incredible support and many voting with their feet in disgust after the set and the speech, which to many was the final insult.

I have to say l was immensely proud of Maiden who stood up to it all and showed great courage and just got better and better through the adversity. Their heads never dropped, instead they went on the offensive. It was a truly memorable moment when Bruce went to the very front of the stage during Trooper - something which he never normally does as he is usually on the ramps - waving the flag whilst avoiding the hail of missiles and yelling 'This is a ****ing British flag, and these colours don't ****ing run!'. The imperturbable attitude and ability of the band shone through and in the end made this a truly remarkable rock and roll event, even if for all the wrong reasons.

We will have no more to say on this matter except that l do think the band deserve an apology from a number of people, and you know who you are.

ROD SMALLWOOD
    MANAGER, IRON MAIDEN
    CHAIRMAN, SANCTUARY ARTIST MANAGEMENT"

• Advertisement

Ancient1 wrote:
    when Bruce went to the very front of the stage during Trooper - something which he never normally does as he is usually on the ramps - waving the flag whilst avoiding the hail of missiles and yelling 'This is a ****ing British flag, and these colours don't ****ing run!'.

Hah! Fair play to the man! :)

I have a newfound respect for maiden after this, and a newfound hatred for sharon osbourne

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

when Bruce went to the very front of the stage during Trooper - something which he never normally does as he is usually on the ramps - waving the flag whilst avoiding the hail of missiles and yelling 'This is a ****ing British flag, and these colours don't ****ing run!'.

I hope they do that in Dublin, after that Union Jack crap in the point last time it'd be great to just rub it in the faces of the small minded people who boo that sort of thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I wouldn't boo maiden for doing the flag thing, but then again I'm not a big fan of the flag thing either. They like to cause a little bit of controversey. I can't really think of another band that does it. It won't stop me enjoying the concert next week! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Betsy Og

As a big Maiden fan I admit I'm not a huge Bruce fan. He can be a bit of a git.
    In the build up the the fundraiser concerts for Clive Burr in Brixton a few years back, Maiden went into BBC studio's in Sheps Bush to record a video for Run to the Hills, one of the Irish fans there apparently said to Bruce .... "When are you going to play Ireland again? (Maiden hadnt played in about 10 yrs) to which Bruce replied "Ireland... dont know that one". And remember this was in the run up to a real "peace and goodwill to all men" run of concerts to support Clive Burr.

BTW if you've seen that concert (the 3rd one) - it was streamed live at the time, I'm the one holding the tri-colour inflatable hammer - seen during RTTH at the end. Will I bring another one along Wednesday???, probably not, not as much fun when you're at home. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

No way! There's Sharon, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!

What a sap!

Sharon sounds like she's hysterical.

haha thats pretty cool actually, when that silly bint comes out to badmouth bruce dickinson and everyone starts booing her and chanting 'maiden! maiden!'. silly cow

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I hope they do that in Dublin, after that Union Jack crap in the point last time it'd be great to just rub it in the faces of the small minded people who boo that sort of thing...
    I wouldn't exactly call it small mindedness. I'm no republican, but alot of people in north are still affected by what that flag symbolizes in some cases. If it was any other country in the world they wouldn't boo, they would possibly kill. Megadeth did something similar in Belfast in the 80's and it cause a full scale riot, Iron Maiden are lucky that the Irish are booing them.

Common sense is needed, not political correctness CT. I am going to the Maiden show and I like Maiden's music, but I would not welcome any of this sort of flag waving. I know what the Trooper is about but surely they could do without waving it.

They can wave their flag all they want in the UK, where I'm sure it will be welcome and I have no problem with that. But it is not welcome by everyone here, and you should understand why.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

and yet no one has a problem purchasing their albums, singles, tshirts, video and dvds - which in the past some of which have been known to carry a union jack on it.

as for megadeth, they didnt wave a flag but mustaine dedicated "anarchy in the uk" to the "caused", little knowing what the "cause" was

Advertisement