Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaydar.co.uk

Options
  • 22-08-2005 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭

gaydar.co.uk a common phrase and topic of conversation used amongst allot of men i know... anyone any good experiences from it? :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

As apposed to gaydar.ie? What particular aspect of the dating site would you like to discuss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

there's an irish version too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

ok or that.. gaydar.ie is same, i just go into the eire room..

dunno, open book!!! whats your stories!!!! any love blossoms??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

haven't been on there in ages, found it not to be to my taste to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

It is awash with people who claim to be and look for "genuine" people and who also seek "straight-acting" people.

It's technology powered cruising for the most part.

EDIT: This says it all: http://sheog69.blog.com/222897/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,978 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It's one of those srange things. Neither myself or any of my friends claim to really like it, however we all seem to have the compulsive need to browse it. You do find the odd nice person on it, but most of it is just sleaze and people looking for something that a website just can't grant you.

Personally I find even speaking to the nice people is boring as I'm not exactly a conversational flirt(or any sort for that matter) and it usually ends up with someone wanting me to add them to my MSN only for me to find I end up busy with something and snubbing them/giving monosyllabic answers.

www.outeverywhere.com used to be a good alternative but they make you pay for it now. They claim they still offer the service for free, but you have to go through a click-through ad every time you navigate to a page which makes it unusable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I've made some good friends and my longest relationships have been with people I've met tru gaydar. I'm not the most confident when it comes to approaching guys in person, so I find it useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

The 'dar.

I agree with what Stark said. To diss it is the done thing yet most critics maintain a profile. The Irish pages are quite sleazy and cruisey but I've found the British and Australian pages to be less so. You can meet interesting people on Gaydar but there's an awful lot of cock shots and gaping ass holes to wade through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭swiss

10) Read cleverly written witty profiles and then send your cock pic as an intro.
    This made me laugh. Out loud.

I do use gaydar occasionally but I think that it is more out of a lack of alternatives rather than the medium of internet dating being an inherently good way to meet people. I don't know, perhaps there is a tacit expectation about the nature of profiles and people that go on gaydar that leads to a sort of self fulfilling prophesy.

Other than that, I agree with Stark and Amnesiac_ie. Personally, I think it's a bit like an internet lottery, the odds are against you, but if you try hard and long enough you will probably strike it lucky. Whether you have the time or inclination to persevere is another matter.

I'd love to create an installation art piece which had screens in a gallery showing live feeds of various Gaydar chat rooms. I'd also print up cards of some of the messages I've gotten from strangers and leave them in piles in said gallery for members of the public to read in shock/amusement/bewilderment/pity.

• Advertisement

On that same topic, I chatted before with an artist about making a collage of something innocent looking but made of cock pics that people from gaydar sent to the account of the artist and only when you get close to the piece do you realise what it is composed of.

Oooh, a pic of a cock made of cock pics would be good.

cock.jpg

I've been sent hundreds if not thousands in three short years... if only I'd saved them!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

It is what it is, tbh. Some love it, some hate it. I've equal amouts of weirdos and interesting chats on there, and if I wanted, many offers of sex.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭MicraBoy

damien.m wrote:
    Oooh, a pic of a cock made of cock pics would be good.

Damien if we wanted to see a pic of ur cock we would have logged into gaydar.

I've met some sound people on gaydar, but the words "needle" and "haystack" spring to mind. I even said hello to azezil one time. I told him I knew his name from boards, but refused to divulge my name on the grounds of not being out, or some such waffle. He rapidly lost interest. Ah the good old days......

Anyway problem solved they are blocking the nasty pics these days. Although I never did understand the sort of pseudo-outrage some guys have to them. If you use the site you know what to expect.

MicraBoy wrote:
    Damien if we wanted to see a pic of ur cock we would have logged into gaydar.

I've met some sound people on gaydar, but the words "needle" and "haystack" spring to mind. I even said hello to azezil one time. I told him I knew his name from boards, but refused to divulge my name on the grounds of not being out, or some such waffle. He rapidly lost interest. Ah the good old days......

Anyway problem solved they are blocking the nasty pics these days. Although I never did understand the sort of pseudo-outrage some guys have to them. If you use the site you know what to expect.

What I don't appreciate it is when you make it clear on your profile you are not looking for sex, you don't want to see a cock pic and some guy private messages you with shots of his flaccid penis, his pathetic excuse for an erection and la piece de la resistance a technicolour picture of his gaping arsehole.

I've noticed this week that such pics have gone fuzzy... huzzah!

lol yeah I could do without the gaping arseholes!

MicraBoy wrote:

Then use less marrows and watermelons dear.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Tiffany

MicraBoy wrote:
    Classic quote, I'd put that in my sig but I'd probably get in trouble. :D

*Resists the temptation to make a joke about not being able to sit down for a week*

MicraBoy wrote:
    lol... well you only get 10 messages a day, you must have sounded dodgy :p

• Advertisement

Dodgy......like a FOX! :D

I did worse to swiss, sent him an automated "sorry I don't think our profiles match" tehe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

I actually prefer that message to no reply, at least the person's let you KNOW they aren't interested rather than leaving you wondering are you gonna hear anything from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rsynnott

Oh, Gaydar's FUN! Or it used to be, anyway; it's gone downhill a bit lately...

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Hunter S

Pretty much all the gay guys i know give out about how sleezy it is and how they dont wanna see cock shots, and yet i find they spend about 50+ hours on it a week, and send their own cock shots. Even if they wanna pretend they dont. Some are more honest than others.

I find the aversion/obsession gay men have with it is quite reflective of gay mens personas in general. Say they are looking for love when all they want is a bit a cock!!

Ah, it's time to GENERALISE. Bad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Hunter S wrote:
    Pretty much all the gay guys i know give out about how sleezy it is and how they dont wanna see cock shots, and yet i find they spend about 50+ hours on it a week, and send their own cock shots. Even if they wanna pretend they dont. Some are more honest than others.

I find the aversion/obsession gay men have with it is quite reflective of gay mens personas in general. Say they are looking for love when all they want is a bit a cock!!

I agree. though I don't use gaydar, yet anyway.

azezil wrote:
    I did worse to swiss, sent him an automated "sorry I don't think our profiles match" tehe

That was mean; you were nicer than that to me, even. Bad! ;)

Hunter S wrote:

It's the same on Gaydar Girls... you wouldn't believe the filth sassy sandie gets sent!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Oh, Gaydar's FUN! Or it used to be, anyway; it's gone downhill a bit lately...

Lately? Mind you, the Eire room I avoid like the plague. *shudder*

Some of the people there make me want to do very homicidal things..

Advertisement