Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Summerslam!

• 22-08-2005 6:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Any1 watch Summerslam last nite?

Wat you think?I thought that it was good my favorite match was
    Cena V Y2J! I'm a huge Yerichoholic even though he's a heel atm.It was great to here the fans in DC chanting,
    "Lets go Cena, lets go Yericho".
    I dnt no about about the rest of you but i HATE Cena, he's so cheap and common and he's a really bad wrestler!!All he can do is the FU and thats a crap move!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭Stalfos

Yeah i dont like him either and i'm also a Jerichoholic.
    Summerslam was very wierd imo. Alot of matches very too short

Stalfos wrote:
    Summerslam was very wierd imo. Alot of matches very too short

That's the exact phrase I would use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 WweHardyV2

Yeh,what the hell was up with the Matt Hardy V Edge match?

Chris Benoit's match was pathetic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

aye, the shortness of that match must be a record for a PPV. i watched it smiling all the way through though. thought it was very good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

The Jordan/Benoit match was probably the second shortest title match I can remember; the shortest being Diesel's 7 second defeat of.............someone whose name escapes me right now.

And I thought Matt Hardy did a great job of putting the ringpost over. He really showed that post who was boss. And as for his continual loafing of Edge's foot........superb.

For me, there were only two matches I enjoyed watching. The Eddie/Rey match was pretty good, and at least that crappy storyline is finished. And, as a Jerichoholic, I enjoyed watching Y2J give Cena a masterclass in how to wrestle. Kurt Angle's demolition of Eugene was pretty funny, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

The Jordan/Benoit match was probably the second shortest title match I can remember; the shortest being Diesel's 7 second defeat of.............someone whose name escapes me right now.

9seconds. Bob Backlund :rolleyes: ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Stain Boy

First off, this thred should probably marked with spoilers as only the minority will have seen it by now. Anyhu, my thoughts:

US TITLE MATCH
    Orlando Jordan (c) vs Chris Benoit

A stroke of genius. Here we go, potentially an exciting card "but wait we have that talentless pointless douch, Jordan up first. What ever will we do?" One of the quickest and most deserved squashes ever on PPV. It also highlights that Benoit is above this division.

GRUDGE MATCH
    Matt Hardy vs Edge

Fantastic while it lasted but was ultimately too short. it leaves me utterly unfulfilled but still has me wanting more.

NO TIME LIMIT MATCH
    Kurt Angle vs Eugene

The best possible outcome, I think. While not an utter squash, the match solidified how above most others including the comedic Eugine, Kurt Angle really is. I enjoyed it.

I think it was around this point in the card that we had an annoying piece of T&A, which turned into one of the most memorable moments of the whole evening. Limo with the crest of 'The President of the United States' emblazed on the side. "Hey, why not?" McMahon for President!!

Randy Orton vs The Undertaker

A solid match, throughoughly enjoyable. I am as irritated as everybody else that it wasn't an entirely clean win, but the match did prove one thing that all the naysayers like to say is false. The Undertaker CAN and DOES sell! If you have seen this match yourself and would say anything to the contrary then quite frankly you are a liar.

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
    John Cena (c) vs Chris Jericho

A very exciting bout between the two most charasmatic men in the business today. These two complemented one another very well I thought and I really am looking forward to a continuation of this feud. Hopefully Vince was listening closely to the fans reaction for the Iotola of Rock & Rolla, because it serves as a reminder of where Chris Jericho belongs. Solidly placed in the main event.

LADDER MATCH
    Eddie Guerrero vs Rey Mysterio

It is hard to look upon this match with much entusiasm. Rey and Eddie have faced off so many times before in recent months, and now this was to be the pinacle of one god-awful storyline. The match did prove good though, more than good, it was a great encounter with some horrendous bumps and great spots. The best we could have hoped for, IMO.

WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP
    Batista (c) vs John 'Bradshaw' Layfield

This was a fair match, but only goes to prove that JBL does not deserve to be anywhere near the position he is in. Batista was super-over with his home crowd, not that you'd notice though becasue they were going mental all night long.

ICON vs LEGEND
    Shawn Michaels vs Hulk Hogan

I sat down to watch this years Summerslam feeling less than enthused. Quite frankly I couldn't give a flying pigeon fart about the whole thing because of one thing, the evenings main event. Thankfully they did not promote it all night long as I thought they would; thank heavens for small mercies; but ultimately I could never force out of my mind the fact that Hulk Hogan was going to be the main attraction in this, the year 2005(AD) at one of the biggest events of the year.
    I'm not a huge fan of Shawn Micheals, but I have, at least to a degree, enjoyed most of his career. Shawn did his very best to promote the 'Epic' 'One More Match' for Hogan but I do not place any blame on the Showstoppa for failing miserabley. The bottom line is his opponent is past his prime, too old, too "80's" and all around too ****e to be in the ring at all let alone the main event.
    So they were my thoughts going into the match. Would the match itself surprize us all?
    No.
    Micheals did his very best, actually putting too much effort(a couple of bumps really were ridiculously comical) into making Hogan look good but, alas, aside from blading the walking dungpile did the exact same show he always does. At every turn we saw an exact carbon copy of every other match he's had in the last decade. The match was not a letdown, for it was exactly what I expected; but it was becasue the rest of the card was so good that this match was such a bringdown.

Hulk Hogan. Please leave, and bring the eighties with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭oneofakind32

I was fairly satisfied with this PPV. Hardy Vs. Edge was a cop out. When u pay to see a match at a big event like Wrestlemania or SummerSlam it should be the one epic perhaps final encounter of a fued but this was just building torwards somthing bigger down the line. I think Hogan didnt do too bad you couldnt realy expect much more form him at this stage. Of course micheals carried him but that goes without saying. I was impressed with takers ring work. I hadnt seen him in actions for 6 months and was doubting his ability after 15 years in the ring but he was as clean and smooth as ever. The ladder match was good but alot of the moves didnt come off as cleanly as the Eddie and Rey would have liked one would have thought. There was a car crash element to it in that you couldnt look away. Alot of the moves left me cringing in my seat but thats not a bad thing thats a good thing to quout DDP. J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

orton v taker, cena v jericho and eddie v rey were all good matches i thought.
    i even enjoyed the main event except for the handshake at the end, shawn has been a king heel for the past few weeks and now there turning him back babyface already??
    kurt did his best,what do you expect hes against eugene.... batista match was too short and not gruesome enough for a no holds barred. us title match made jordans title run into a joke so i didnt see the point.
    if hardy was really injured then ok they had to stop the match, but if it was a work then it sucked, guess we'll find out on raw in about 45mins eh......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Cat O'Nine Tail

evad_lhorg wrote:

Thank you. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

For the very first time ever I really didn't care about the two world title matchs at SummerSlam, it was very very clear who was going to win going into SummerSlam.

HBK vs Hogan, not bad, reminded me of the old days when Hogan makes a come back and beat the bad guy, thought HBK was selling way over bord at times.

Nice to see Benoit win the U.S title, and how he won it is the way to do it!

Where were the tag teams?, all single matchs on this show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭yak_kadafi

evad_lhorg wrote:

i thought it was mabel.....7 seconds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Apparently , the original plan was for Nash to come to interfere and cost Hogan the match, but Nash did'nt end up agreeing and WWE went with the Hogan win.

Pity, would have been interesting to have Nash back for a while with HBK, maybe even team them up with HHH for a while for a Clique reunion?
    Nash can't cut it in the ring anymore i know , but it would be fun to see them together.

As it is, it was bad enough having Hogan win the way he did, straight out of the 80's like he was fighting one of the Heenan family.But to have them shake hands and make up at the end was just Cheese city, and a waste of turning HBK heel in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Brian Alvarez pretty much summed up what I thought about the Hogan HBK fight "It was an intriguing match. I knew Shawn was going to bump his ass off for the guy, but he took it to a level I could not even have imagined. In fact, he took it to such an extreme (seriously, he was not only bumping huge, but adding whacky flips to the end of his bumps for good measure) that I sat there and thought to myself: “He is sending a message to all of us. He is saying, ‘Look how hard I have to work to get a passable match out of this old, broken-down immobile prick.’ He is going to try to expose Hogan by having the very definition of a one-man show.” And, sure enough, my thoughts were confirmed the next night on Raw where he basically said that very thing (see Raw Report). I truly believe that you could make the argument that after Hogan put his foot down about not losing to Michaels under any circumstances, Michaels found the best way, in the end, to outmaneuver the master himself".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 corpus

Like to see how fast you move with a hip replacement and a knee replacement. Behind it all HBK was one of the biggest Pxxxks there was in wrestling, but we only know him in the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

corpus wrote:
    Like to see how fast you move with a hip replacement and a knee replacement. Behind it all HBK was one of the biggest Pxxxks there was in wrestling, but we only know him in the ring.

Hogan is a major asshole off camera too, don't forget that.

As for your hip replacement / knee replacment comment - what's your point exactly? Would you be happy to see Superstar Billy Graham being wheeled into the ring 'just one more time' so we could see the awesome power of his 'I'm gonna wheel myself into you at high speed and knock you out cold' finisher? Hogan is a joke and Michaels was dead right for making him look like a fool in the way that he did. He did the job - god only knows why but at least he had a good dig at him the following night on RAW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 ForrestTaft

The Benoit win was great as Jordan has shown nothing in the ring.It should lead to Jordan being fired soon.The Edge and Matt match was great whilst it lasted but whoever thought a 4 minute knock out was going to help a man that for weeks was on a crusade, is deranged.Angle was awesome as always.I love how the crowd pi**ed allover Eugene and the entire storyline by cheering everything Angle did.And the chair , with the medals.. classic.
    Shaun v Hogan was okay.A lot of people are saying Shawn was amazing and exposed Hulk.I do not concur.His bumping,which is usually a sign of a good worker, was ludicrous even for wrestling. Its not always the bumps that make the matches as Shawns repeated leaps towards then moons highlighted the weaknesses of the modern WWE and its inability to regain its "cool persona". Never was this clearer than the two middle aged white men, one whos a broken down but significant figure ,the other a broken down extremely talented prima donna, being played in by Nelly and Fat Joe's "get it poppin"
    I thought it ruined what has been an interesting run for Shawn back towards the title. He was an excellent heel in Montreal and was looking like his old beyotch best. I laugh when people criticise Hogan for doing something Shawn did repeatedly later.Whats next Triple H is willing to job and won't want the title back?
    Taker and Orton was good.It should have been clean but he still won.
    As for the irrepressible Jericho, well he will be sadly missed and Cena should take note that although he is awesome on the mike and eerily similar to a young Hogan in connecting with the crowd, his workrate will have to improve.
    JBL was buried , so relax people.He'll be US champ where he belongs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

People can compliment HBK for being so ironic and clever in his overuse of his bumps, but the fact is the guy had no problem wrestling Hogan in the first place. I’m sure his arm really had to be twisted into taking the Main event spot away from both World champions.
    And now he's almost implying he only took the match to expose Hogan for an Old, technically useless cripple who takes up the major airtime just so he can plug his show, then bugger off again. Well, I seem to remember him hogging plenty of the show as Commissioner and in the NWO when he was still in on the injured list.

Advertisement