Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Making a complaint about the cops?

Options
  • 22-08-2005 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭

Earlier today I was driving into the park from the Park Gate St entrance and a motorcycle cop, not content with everyone driving at the speed limit, decided to
    use the white line border as an extra lane. He sped up to about 50mph I'd say and then popped back into the traffic at the round about.

Personally I so furious with this I wanted to speed after him and place him under citizens arrest.

Stop laughing! I did! :)

Seriously though, I have enough respect for the police not to blindly label them pigs. But what am I supposed to think when I see driving like this? 'Do as I say not as I do?' How many points did he dish out this week alone? What a ****!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

First, I would'nt bother. but if you insist, they must belong to smoe station somewhere and they must report to some station master, sergent. So if you wish to make a complaint you'd need the reg and/or bike number if any.

With that, like any other driver you should be able to log a complaint at any station and let themselves figure it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

really not worth the wasted effort unfortunately. your word against his and nothing will be done about it even if he did own up to it!

chances are if you proceeded, your reg plate and particulars will be duly noted by said garda for future use against you come parking/speeding time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Get over it you spa, I think they have more important things to be dealing with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gaui3d0pnbz86o

did you get his reg number?

but as already said, probably nothing would be done about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Get used to it, there are rules for us and there are rules for them.

On duty Garda, Ministers late for a drink and Party political election coaches are all known to be exempt from speed limits.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Yeah, maybe he shouldn't take little short cuts like that so he can get his job done more efficiently rather than sitting in traffic. Send him to the Joy NOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,021 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

FX Meister wrote:
    Yeah, maybe he shouldn't take little short cuts like that so he can get his job done more efficiently rather than sitting in traffic. Send him to the Joy NOW.
    The OP stated the Garda passed the traffic queue which was moving at the speed limit, so he didn't take a short cut, he commited an offence, speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

ciarsd wrote:
    really not worth the wasted effort unfortunately. your word against his and nothing will be done about it even if he did own up to it!

chances are if you proceeded, your reg plate and particulars will be duly noted by said garda for future use against you come parking/speeding time
    The details would be circulated nationwide, for increased effect.

If you still want to complain, go direct to the garda complaints board and not the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

FX Meister wrote:
    Get over it you spa, I think they have more important things to be dealing with.

FX Meister given 3 day ban for abusive language. Heck I'd have thought you'd all know by now.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    FX Meister given 3 day ban for abusive language. Heck I'd have thought you'd all know by now.

Mike.

and what a constructive post it was! pointless :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭vector

if you complain, your name will then be "known" to the gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

murphaph wrote:
    The OP stated the Garda passed the traffic queue which was moving at the speed limit, so he didn't take a short cut, he commited an offence, speeding.
    The Garda was on duty, hence no offence was committed.

the OP, get a life, all bikers skip traffic, and how do you know he was breaking the speed limit, are you certain your speedo is 100% accurate? Spend more time looking at the road in front of you rather than complain about a motorbike having the cheek to pass you!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Bogger77 wrote:
    The Garda was on duty, hence no offence was committed.

the OP, get a life, all bikers skip traffic, and how do you know he was breaking the speed limit, are you certain your speedo is 100% accurate? Spend more time looking at the road in front of you rather than complain about a motorbike having the cheek to pass you!

I don't know if it is different for garda vehicles, but AFAIK ambulances & fire trucks are not technically allowed break the speed limit or red lights etc - they are allowed park on diuble yellow lines and some other concession, but that's it.

Anyhow, the point is that I am not sure that the Garda was automatically allowed to speed because he is on duty - especially if his lights and siren aren't on.

But, if that's the worst driving a garda does, I would be happy enough. I find that normally they do act as an example to other drivers...

eoin_s wrote:
    AFAIK ambulances & fire trucks are not technically allowed break the speed limit or red lights etc
    yup. no member of DFB for sure are allowed run red lights etc they will not be penalised for it if on route to a shout but must take severe caution when doing so. usually if a garda is close by they will facilitate the red-light running if it is safe to do so and very necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

vector wrote:
    if you complain, your name will then be "known" to the gardai
    WWWwwOOOoooooh!!! Live in fear! Big brother is watching!!
    Has someone been watching a little too much Sky?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭shakenbake

I'm bemused by some of the responses in this thread!

You often gleefully rip people apart with indignation when they talk of commiting minor traffic offenses, for instance being marginally over the speed limit.

However, when someone who dishes out points for those minor indisgressions flagrantly breaks the law (and dangerously, might I add) you jump down my throat for being upset by it?

Would you still defend the cop if he had of knocked over a kid on the way to the zoo?

Emergency services when not on an emergency call still have to obey the rules of the road like everyone else. The cop was obviously seriously over the speed limit and had created his own third lane on the median lines because he couldn't have been arsed driving at the speed limit.

I think people trying to justify those actions in this thread either smell of bacon or enjoy being dictated to, which one is it? :)

shakenbake wrote:
    Emergency services when not on an emergency call still have to obey the rules of the road like everyone else.
    Emergency services, Yes, but you're missing the point, legally there's a difference between Garda and DFB.

Get over it, you were passed by a biker, get on with your life. If that's the worse case of over taking by a bike you see this week I'd be surprised.

I rank bikers in the following order, in terms of bike control and skill, and awareness/courtesy.
    01) Cops (and that's based on UK, Irish, France and US of A)
    02) Army Bikers
    02) Big Bikes (goldwings etc)
    03) Average size Bikes, cruiser types
    04) Mid Size Racer types
    05) Large CC Racers (650+) (bigger the engine, the more insane the passing)
    11) Motorbike couriers
    96) Small racers (125cc)
    97) Moped drivers

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yeah seriously get over it.
    If any of us could use a shortcut and get away with it we would.
    Wasn't dangerous at all by the sound of it.

(I don't rant about minor indiscretions BTW).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

shakenbake wrote:
    Emergency services when not on an emergency call still have to obey the rules of the road like everyone else. The cop was obviously seriously over the speed limit and had created his own third lane on the median lines because he couldn't have been arsed driving at the speed limit.

:rolleyes:

from http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/road_traffic_speed_limits_in_ireland.html
    Speed limits do not apply in Ireland to ambulances, Garda Siochana vehicles being used in the course of duty or fire brigade vehicles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Firstly for those that dont know, Garda Headquaters is in the Phoneix park, just up right from the previously mentioned roundabout. Secondly all european police motorcyclists are highly trained. Do a search of their training methods on the internet and you may be astonished nay incredulous if you are a car driver, but sure to be impressed if you are a motorcyclist yourself.

As the man said get over it, cager...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

impr0v wrote:

My apologies, I must have been confused with ambulances not being able to break red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Tomohawk wrote:
    Firstly for those that dont know, Garda Headquaters is in the Phoneix park, just up right from the previously mentioned roundabout. Secondly all european police motorcyclists are highly trained. Do a search of their training methods on the internet and you may be astonished nay incredulous if you are a car driver, but sure to be impressed if you are a motorcyclist yourself.
    So the twat who followed me through Bray and round 3 roundabouts without indicating once and then proceeded to overtake me on the sliproad going down onto the N11 was highly trained, eh? I don't think so.
    As the man said get over it, cager...
    What's with all this "cager" crap? We're motorists, you're motorcyclists, in other words we're all road users. Using pejorative terms like "cager" hardly advances your cause, I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

eh sorry what cause??? ;)

And I'm a cager too, I likes my rollcage so I do!

and I've had occasion to use it too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did you ever get the feeling a thread was going nowhere except into a brick wall?

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement