Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Open Media Commons

Options
  • 22-08-2005 6:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.openmediacommons.org/
    Our Goals:

* Specify open, royalty-free digital rights management and codec standards.
    * Promote the creation, duplication and distribution of digital content and ensure that creators and owners get compensated.
    * Collaborate with like-minded open-source communities.
    * Influence standards organizations.

Our Principles:

* Innovation flourishes through openness - open standards, reference architectures and implementations.
    * All creators are users and many users are creators.
    * Content creators and holders of copyright should be compensated.
    * Respect for users' privacy is essential.
    * Code (both laws and technology) should encourage innovation.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Wonderful ideals and all, but is it likely to be adopted?

Personally, I would love to see an open, fair, backwards-compatible DRM that sells to the user and not the device, but is ever a thing like this going to succeed?

I can't see the entertainment industry putting their content in the hands of something that is openly documented. Nor can I see the any of the current proprietary DRM vendors adopting it (especially Microsoft or Apple - they each have a pretty big stake in the market as it is). Ok, so perhaps the small individual publisher may take advantage of it, but without any kind of wide industry support could a project like this take off the ground in any meaningful way?

Advertisement