Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity on 300 points

• 22-08-2005 7:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Should people who get 300 points be allowed in? TAP entrants aside, should able-minded persons who only bothered getting 300 points fulfill entrance requirements to this fine university?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

wtf are you talking about?

if a course has a 1 point entrance requirement and someone meets that then they should be allowed in.

what makes you think someone who "only" gets 300 points is not worthy for TCD?

you're the sort of person i'd like give a serious punch to knock you off your high horse.

"they can't be bothered they should not be allowed in roysh".

argh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

well....depends what course you are going for....i know im an "able-minded" person but i only got 220 in my leaving so since i didnt bother my bum studying i dont think i deserve a place....but overall answer to your question...maybe with a post leaving cert entrance exam!! Otherwise, no

and just to clarify....someone who gets say, 550 points and another who gets 200...550 points does NOT necessarily make them smarter than the other person!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ZigBee

Cremo wrote:
    wtf are you talking about?

you're the sort of person i'd like give a serious punch to knock you off your high horse.

argh

That's a wonderful proposition (especially when you consider your threat comes from behind a computer screen).

Do you box? Fancy a bout in the Boxing Club's ring? I'm sure I could arrange something if I get on to the Club Captain.

We could invite everyone from boards/soc/education/TCD

It would beat "5th September - TCD forum Birthday beers" for sure.

ZigBee wrote:
    Should people who get 300 points be allowed in? TAP entrants aside, should able-minded persons who only bothered getting 300 points fulfill entrance requirements to this fine university?

I hope this thread is locked soon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭claire h

*looks at this year's round one offers* The only course you could get into with 300 points is Intellectual Disability Nursing. And I'm pretty sure the disability part refers to the *patients* rather than the students... ;)

The points requirements are a matter of supply and demand, simple as that. *shrugs* Trinity's points are higher than most so I'd imagine the problem of having students who get into a difficult but not particularly popular course not being academically able for the material isn't as bad as it might be elsewhere.

ZigBee wrote:
    That's a wonderful proposition (especially when you consider your threat comes from behind a computer screen).

Do you box? Fancy a bout in the Boxing Club's ring? I'm sure I could arrange something if I get on to the Club Captain.

We could invite everyone from boards/soc/education/TCD

It would beat "5th September - TCD forum Birthday beers" for sure.

try to explain your point more clearly....if you can ;)

Cremo wrote:

Seconded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 ZigBee

Seconded.

Brave 'aul Aristotle. Making such threatening remarks from an internet forum. If you'd like to call over and see me (I'm on campus now), I'm sure we can resume our discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Seconded. :D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Seconded.
    you just fcuking stop publishing all those philosophical theories you said were only for minds like mine you fcuking hypocrit. and i dont care if only a philosopical mind can understand them, anymore or your shít and i'm coming back from persia. cúnt. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

look it's just stupid to think points = brains. they don't

points = demand = your ability to remember something.

so lets say a doctor's son who gets 260 points in his leaving and another son of a non doctor gets 600 points, who is more capable for the course?
    I'd take the doctors son anyday.

griffdaddy wrote:
    you just fcuking stop publishing all those philosophical theories you said were only for minds like mine you fcuking hypocrit. and i dont care if only a philosopical mind can understand them, anymore or your shít and i'm coming back from persia. cúnt. :D

Now here's a guy I like. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

Points are solely related to applications and vacancies, and were never intended as entrance requirements. If any institution, Trinity or one of the places with less arrogance than the above, wishes to set higher standards, the correct way to do that is through minimum requirements (which can be set by the course). The calculation of points is independent of the discipline or the difficulty thereof - it's a simple operation of looking at the number of places, ordering the applications from top to bottom, and drawing a line at the last place.

E.g.

Ten people apply for a course with four places. Their points are:

You draw a line under no. 4 (480) and thus the points for the course are 480.

If a course needs an A in Maths, then that should be in the minimum requirements, which means that those who don't hit that requirement aren't counted when doing the ranking for the purposes of points.

Having said that, I'd agree that the Leaving Cert is not an adequate reflection of ability or intelligence, but even if it was, minimum requirements and entry points are still separate systems. Min requirements are frequently as specific as requiring subjects for individual subjects, and rightly so - it's a much more subtle instrument than points, which colleges have no control over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭punka

Cremo wrote:
    so lets say a doctor's son who gets 260 points in his leaving and another son of a non doctor gets 600 points, who is more capable for the course?
    I'd take the doctors son anyday.

you made such a nice point and then you had to ruin it with this codswallop.
    that's exactly the kind of cronyism the points race endeavours to eliminate. is a doctor's son necessarily the best person to become a doctor? should he be let in at the expense of other students who worked harder for the (admittedly seriously flawed) leaving cert? would you rather have a layabout who has coasted through his first 18 years relying on daddy's wallet and who will undoubtedly waste the taxpayer's money by failing a seriously challenging course (one which, remember, does require an ability to remember a LOT of facts - correct me on this if i'm wrong Indy).

*nb I am in no way implying that all people who get 260 are layabouts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement