Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

tall/longer sizes for thin men

• 22-08-2005 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

I really wish clothing brands would provide clothes in tall sizes. I'm fairly tall at just over 6ft and thin. I have a terrible time finding tops, shirts, hoodies, anything with sleeves really, that fit right. if i wear a medium (which is about my right chest size) the sleeves and length are usually jut a bit too short. of course then i have to deal with shrinkage, which robs about another inch from the length in most things.

if i wear a large, the sleeves and length are perfect but everything else is too wide, and i look silly. i can still sometimes get away with a large, and mediums are sometimes long enough. but its still a pain to find clothes. i really don't know where taller guys shop.

anyone else have this problem or know any good stores for young men that do tall sizes, or longer clothes?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I have a similar problem, I'm very thin and tops that fit my sleeves are generally too baggy and I look foolish.

River Island 'slim fit' tops do me very nicely indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

grimloch i couldnt agree more...nice and comfy!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Eat more :)

I have problems with trousers in a similar vein - 32-36 and 34-36 appear to be unreasonable sizes in almost every shop - apparantly people with long legs will also have legs the size of small oak trees...

And don't get me started on socks and shoes...

Christ, trousers are a curse. I am technically a 30 - 34 but that size is almost impossible to find but a 32 - 34 in conjunction with a belt suffices.

Shirts however are another matter, I just have to get loose ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Ahem try 36 waist and 40 inch leg. Try size 14 - 15 shoe. Just shop around, and when you find soimething that fits, buy two of them. Latley Ive taken to getting clothes tapered. Im off to New York now though and Ill buy a rake of clothes over there.

• Advertisement

40 inch leg. :eek: How tall are you?

I think we can agree that this country doesn't properly cater for tall/thin people. A 30 - 34 shouldn't be too hard to get but it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

grimloch wrote:
    I think we can agree that this country doesn't properly cater for tall/thin people. A 30 - 34 shouldn't be too hard to get but it is.

It doesn't cater for short people either! I always have to get my pants taken up because I have a 30 leg. They are next to impossible to find and when they are there they are normally really 31 long. Ireland is full of short people and all the pants are 32 and up. I guess I am lucky because I can take them up but with jeans and turn ups it can not be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 jothee

well i'm usually a 32-34 in trousers. not too difficult to get thankfully. however i find some brands (especially american ones) tend to oversize the waist on jeans to try and flatter the wearer. i.e. vanity sizing. river island seem to do this as i've never found a pair of jeans in there that fit.

grimloch wrote:
    40 inch leg. :eek: How tall are you?

6'7" - a 40" jean would hang nicely over my shoes. 38 would do but after a few washes they all shrink a little too much.

joejoem wrote:
    6'7" - a 40" jean would hang nicely over my shoes. 38 would do but after a few washes they all shrink a little too much.

Note to self: Don't start a fight with joejoem.
    however i find some brands (especially american ones) tend to oversize the waist on jeans to try and flatter the wearer. i.e. vanity sizing. river island seem to do this as i've never found a pair of jeans in there that fit.

Hmm, I would say the opposite, a 32 - 34 in there fits me better than say a 32 - 34 out of Jack and Jones or Dunnes.

• Advertisement

Can't see you finding too much satisfaction in New York joejoe, I had enough trouble finding 36" leg trousers that were actually 36" long...

Germany's where you want to go - every time I've seen anything I've liked there they've had it in a size that fits me.

And of course, DFH on the quays is a godsend fot shoes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭nadir

mm, yeah, I have the same problem, I end up doing most of my shopping in Army and Navy Stores, they tend not to make so much clothes for fat people.
    I might start buying clothes online, its the way to go for everything I think.

Can't see you finding too much satisfaction in New York joejoe, I had enough trouble finding 36" leg trousers that were actually 36" long...

Germany's where you want to go - every time I've seen anything I've liked there they've had it in a size that fits me.

Yeah I used to live there so know all about it, in China town (of all places!) there are a few shops that have big jeans, you have to search hard but sometimes you will get lucky!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grinderstone

Lads,lads, you should try the following for Tall clothes,there's a great selection and they have shoes too:

www.landsend.co.uk (landsend.ie for prices in euro)

www.landsend.com

www.bigtall.uk.com

www.eddiebauer.com

www.josbank.com (pricey,but good selection)

hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 grinderstone

Also,for jeans,though most are boot cut ,try:

www.sheplers.com

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

Does anybody know what the average shoe size for men is because i take size 13-14 depending on brand and whether im buying shoe or runner and it is almost impossible 2 buy anything that looks good in the right size.the runners normally look like clown shoes. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Electric i feel your pain, i never go into a shoe shop and pick my favourite one because none are in my size!
    I am a size 14, rising to sometimes 15 for runners! Im a stable guy! :D
    I always get jeans with flares because or else my shoes are v noticeable!
    Not that that is a bad thing at all for the ladies mind you! :p

Clothes shops never have the right combination of lenght and width for myself!. I would be a 33/36 normally but its damn well impossible to find so i buy a nice tight belt and baggies instead!

electric69 wrote:
    Does anybody know what the average shoe size for men is because i take size 13-14 depending on brand and whether im buying shoe or runner and it is almost impossible 2 buy anything that looks good in the right size.the runners normally look like clown shoes. :D
    And of course, DFH on the quays [of Dublin] is a godsend for shoes...

Its on the North quay, just past the Four Courts, towards Heuston Stn.

Do you know anywhere on the net to buy big shoes?

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭electric69

joejoem wrote:
    Do you know anywhere on the net to buy big shoes?

www.bigshoes.com

• Advertisement
Advertisement