Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD gym

Options
  • 22-08-2005 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭

Hey, I was just wondering about the UCD gym... is it any good? Is it normally full or empty or wha? How much does it cost to join? Someone told me that you get a discount if you join certain clubs, is that true? Do you guys ever get time to use it, or are you not motivated at all at all? lol. Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I regret joining the gym...... I've hardly used it hence I'm piling on the pounds.

It's ok but basic. It usually isn't either empty or full........ you will always find a treadmill available if you know what I mean. Yes you do get a discount with certain clubs. Last year it was 185 or so to join around freshers' week but I got my membership for 120 through a club. I personally wasn't too bothered to use it due to my laziness so it was a bit of a waste of money for me. I wasn't motivated but you get out of it what you put into it.

I'm sure tribulus will soon provide you with very f**king detailed information about the gym since he lives there as it is one of 35,000 gyms he's a member of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

DaveMcG it depends what you're looking for. It's not great for weights as it's nearly always busy down that part, also they don't have some things i'd like to see, cable crossover, lying leg curl, leg press etc.

for keeping fit in general it's alright, good few cardio stuff and the like.

I find it gets very busy after 5 which just compounds the problem if you''re more into weights.

I didn't use as much as i should have as i wasn't finished till after 5/6 most days and it was tight trying to fit it in between breaks - depends on your timetable/laziness level as to how often you'll use it.

and zane that number is now down to 2, 1 after my crunch membership expires next month :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

If you joined the Trampoline club you got membership for €120 last year, the rest of us suckers paid €180odd.

Which ain't good since I used it 4 times during the year, but there again I hate gyms with a passion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

Hey Dave, good to have you at UCD! I joined the gym last year for 120 euro, I got a discount for joining the ultimate frisbee club. I'm more into the cardio stuff, running, etc, and I found the gym pretty handy. I know I'll join again this year, that is, if I passed my repeats!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

What hours is it open?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭upmeath

if i join basketball or athletics clubs am i entitled to a discount? and does anybody know if i join ucd athletics do i surrender my home club membership for my college years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Howza going no I don't think it affects your home club, obviously you can hurl with UCD and your own club so I presume athletics runs along similar lines. If you join the rowing club you also get discounted ah loads of sports give you discounts *except chess - weird*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 reb_f

If u want da discount for the gym, can u just join up a society like extreme frisbee/rowing etc and not go r do u hav 2 be an active member to get d discount??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Economaniac!

the discount is instant and i never heard a word from the ultimate frisbee club after using them to get in cheaply!

Gym is open until 10pm weekdays and from 10 til 5.30 at the weekend. plenty of time to squeeze and tween them festive buns!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Dutchboy

Ive been a member of UCD gym since the beginning of summer, and bottom line is, if ur a cardio man ywill think the place rocks , but if you are into any kind of weights or weightlifting you are going ou to be disappointed!
    I think the weights area is terrible, but thats coming from someone used to 5star stuff down in Limerick ;)
    Good for women though!

JOIN THE TAEKWONDO CLUB!

my two cents :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 955 ✭✭✭LovelyHurling

Dutchboy wrote:
    Ive been a member of UCD gym since the beginning of summer, and bottom line is, if ur a cardio man ywill think the place rocks , but if you are into any kind of weights or weightlifting you are going ou to be disappointed!

Yeah correct about the weights but somebody suggested that was what the sportsbar was being converted for (???) I'd still prefer the bar I have to say, turn the useless forum into a weights room!!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Dutchboy wrote:
    JOIN THE TAEKWONDO CLUB!

my two cents :D
    of course :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Grrrr, leave the forum alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Never! :p

Advertisement