Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When can we expect the likes 4mb??

• 22-08-2005 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭

Guys I was wondering does anyone have any ideas when the current service of eircon and bt will move on from 2mb or will be like this for a while. ;)

Cheers

Willem D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

doubt it will be anytime soon,

i'd rather see 256/512 up before a double in download speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭Chong

Yeah so would I it would benefit Xbox live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,937 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eircom only seem to upgrade once a year around March/April so at a wild guess It could be March/April 2007, more than likey it will take a move by smart to 4mb first before eircom will do anything, I reckon next year's upgrade will be something minor like a cap increase or an upload improvement if we're lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

An upload speed increase would be more important to me than an increase in download speed right now. I wont touch any BB package besides my current NTL 3MB unless they offer at minimum 256kbs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Gonzo wrote:
    Eircom only seem to upgrade once a year around March/April so at a wild guess It could be March/April 2007, more than likey it will take a move by smart to 4mb first before eircom will do anything, I reckon next year's upgrade will be something minor like a cap increase or an upload improvement if we're lucky.

Agreed...2007 is in my book for a download speed doubling.
    March/April 2006 will more than likely give a minor upload increase to 256k and business to 512k.

Eircom will try their best to delay any physical upgrades of their infrastructure for as long as possible and a home 4Mb service will require much more work to implement than the recent 1m/2m jump.

A 256k upload speed increase could probable be implimented with a months notice.
    Dont except any major CAP increases as well....even though eircom/BT dont normially impose fines on those who download over their CAP...saying that the service is unlimited could cause a massive headache!!!

Its very possible that eircom will have to even upgrade to ADSL2+ in order to bring stability to their network!!!
    From what I know about their DSLAMs this would be a simple operation...but replaceing at least 100,000 routers would be very costly!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

jeez wouldn't you think that eircom would upgrade to ADSL2+ and replace 100,000 routers instead of having to replace 4million of them in like 20 years time. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

With the state of the lines in this country, I'd be very surprised if an upgrade to 4MB went without any major hitches. And I think the eircom routers are good up to 8MB download speed, so being eircom, I doubt they'll offer anything above 8MB for many years (if at all).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

I'd take the increases uploads and day if I was given the chance. I'm on 2 megs down and 128kb up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 bullfrog

you can get a 6mb connection with digiweb metro fairly good i hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

bullfrog wrote:
    It also costs more then my house and is capped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

bullfrog wrote:
    eircom broadband business enhanced : unlimited download : 4MB speed : FREE Wi-fi router

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

the_syco wrote:
    eircom broadband business enhanced : unlimited download : 4MB speed : FREE Wi-fi router

If you got €200incl. VAT a month to throw around!
    Not many people will pay over €50 a monthy for residential broadband not to mean €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

well speeds seem to be increasing very fast imo which they would spend more time on getting broadband to the rest of the country instead of getting the lucky city ppl faster speeds (yes i mean you dublin cork limerick im on to all of ye he he)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Eircom and Co. will prob start rolling out there symetrical(my spelling sucks) products late nxt yr. Meaning when u get 1MB dl you get 512 ul, 2MB dl you get 1mb ul. Trust me eircom will not be the 1st one to make this jump, keep an eye on the "Newer" companies, that are rolling out their OWN new networks a.t.m like Smart Telecom. I would love to see an increase in upload from any of the adsl companies, its amazing the world of difference upload has. Ive tested a 2mb down 2mb upload and its sh1t hot compared to 128up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jrey1981

I was reading the other day somewhere that in Hamburg you can get 20MB download speed and in Japan I think it was, 50MB, good enough to get your digital TV through broadband so you get a picture good enough for HDTV and better than the picture you get with digital TV signal through the air.

And heres me fighting back the tears as all I can get is the snails pace of 56k dialup!

Even GPRS using my mobile as a modem is often faster than it ffs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭UberNewb

It will be like what happend with the CPU's! We have a need for speed.... :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Magnet and Smart both offer 4096/512 DSL products today and both do so for a lot less than €200 a month .

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭vampyre

Or you could pay out for fully synchronous 2mb from net1 like I did and get a load of carp that makes the internet angels weep for my fate. Apparently in 3-4 months it will improve. Whoop de doo :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 155 ✭✭pugleon

Couple of things to note. Eircom wont give business dsl to residential customers quoting some B.S. about business lines not being unbudled except inside the city centre. So forget that. Unless netsource would give you a dig out or something....

Second Eircom don't want anymore then 128 up and will prolong it for years. Since any more would give good voip connections.

But they can't hold off progress forever...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Eircom and Co. will prob start rolling out there symetrical(my spelling sucks) products late nxt yr. Meaning when u get 1MB dl you get 512 ul, 2MB dl you get 1mb ul.

Thats not symmetrical. If it was symmetrical the download and upload speeds would be the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Close m8, but the main reason is leased lines....

Why would you want one with a decent 24mb symetrical speed?

I know for a fact Eircom is ADSL2 and all their equipment is top notch with the latest Cisco/Juniper gear.

Do the math, DSL=no leased line customers, which means a major loss of €€€.

As usual our government officials fails us in forcing their hand.

Sigh*

Just go wireless and laugh at them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

if i could get 512/128 i would be delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

id love it if i could get 256/128 but since i live outside a town in co.limerick all i can get is satellite
    hearing you guys complaining about 2mb not being enough is driving me up the wall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

Thats not symmetrical. If it was symmetrical the download and upload speeds would be the same.

What I ment was that it goes up depending on your dl speed, do u realise what time I posted that at :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well metro plus is 4mb/1mb and is a grand 20:1, but is €90 excluding vat, but atleast the wireless seems to be moving forward, but with all the companys that provide dsl and are 128k, blame eircom, they always manage to fcuk everything up, if they were P&T again id say they would be better.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

grimloch wrote:
    I'd take the increases uploads and day if I was given the chance. I'm on 2 megs down and 128kb up.

While 256k+ for uploads would be great and is pretty much standard in the UK, I'm thinking Eircom are scared of the likes of VoIP and similar services affecting their business's.
    Obviously they'll always says its limited to stop P2P but I'm sure VoIP is certainly a factor :D
    Sparky_S wrote:
    but with all the companys that provide dsl and are 128k,

This is slighty incorrect both BT Business & Smart Business offer 256k up, ok you can only get these packages from unbundled exchanges but its better then nothing :)

Advertisement