Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL Broadband

• 22-08-2005 10:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Anyone know when NTL bb is going to be available in dublin4/donnybrook area?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

When RTE drop their lawsuit against NTL!!!

Haha...only messing....I though FTTH would be there by now!!!!
    With all the money in that area...its prime territory for something expensive like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

I LOVE MY NTL :-) smouchhhhhhhhhh NORTHSIDE !!

D4 now way ......... yee get everything !! yis got the L~UAS and now you want NTL BB .....

Pinging www.jolt.co.uk [82.133.85.65] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=29ms TTL=52
    Reply from 82.133.85.65: bytes=32 time=20ms TTL=52

Ping statistics for 82.133.85.65:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 29ms, Average = 22ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭bringitdown

I have it in Ringsend / D4....

I have it in Ringsend / D4....

Ringsend sure thats not really D4 ??? ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

My folks have it on the Merrion road, near Merrion centre.

• Advertisement

Drapper wrote:
    D4 now way ......... yee get everything !! yis got the L~UAS and now you want NTL BB .....

There's no Luas in D4. We have the Dart. :D

paulm17781 wrote:
    There's no Luas in D4. We have the Dart. :D

ohhhhhh thee DURT (soutside accent) the original LUAS !

;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Drapper wrote:
    ohhhhhh thee DURT (soutside accent) the original LUAS !

;-)

I thought the D4 wannabee Yanks pronounced it as DORT???

But honestly the area must be the best place in all of Ireland for the first rollout of FTTH.

zuma wrote:

But honestly the area must be the best place in all of Ireland for the first rollout of FTTH.

or DUIRT in DunnyBruk

zuma wrote:

Havn't Magnet already rolled out FTTH in some areas?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Eh, we're in Ballsbridge and have had NTL bb for nearly a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

Is there a rollout calender or somethin about... Anyway, Balinteer/Rathfarnmham area, when is it going to get NTL?

Tried to get BB with EsatBT but they refused as I'm renting and only a student. Apparently I can pay 140 deposit for a year or somethin but I won't be there that long, and they have a 6mth contract. /me researches other companies in my area with a no minimum contract (or one thats less than a year)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

I'd get FTTH/NTL/anything better than poxy 2mb/128k if it arrived in Donnybrook. Specifically Donnybrook village area.

I want proper broadband...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Sniipe wrote:
    Is there a rollout calender or somethin about... Anyway, Balinteer/Rathfarnmham area, when is it going to get NTL?

Tried to get BB with EsatBT but they refused as I'm renting and only a student. Apparently I can pay 140 deposit for a year or somethin but I won't be there that long, and they have a 6mth contract. /me researches other companies in my area with a no minimum contract (or one thats less than a year)

I rang NTL today asking about this as i'm moving into an apartment in Rathfarnham at weekend. They said 2/3 months

Did BT really say that as you're renting or 'cos you're a student?
    I'll be renting too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 darcyk

I'm on Nutley Road. I rang NTL about it twice but kept getting through to people who hadn't got a clue when it was due to be made available. They rang me back 4 times to offer me digital TV for my troubles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

ixus wrote:
    I rang NTL today asking about this as i'm moving into an apartment in Rathfarnham at weekend. They said 2/3 months

I wouldn't believe that for a second. I've been living in Rathfarnham all my life and have been waiting 2-3 years for broadband. Unless you're moving in to a new development then forget it as it would involve them relaying 2 way cable which I'm sure they're not going to do any time soon. Luckily I'm moving to an apartment in the next few weeks that is NTL Broadband enabled so I'm a happy camper to finally get rid of Eircom and phone line rental.

TC

TinCool wrote:
    I wouldn't believe that for a second. I've been living in Rathfarnham all my life and have been waiting 2-3 years for broadband. Unless you're moving in to a new development then forget it as it would involve them relaying 2 way cable which I'm sure they're not going to do any time soon. Luckily I'm moving to an apartment in the next few weeks that is NTL Broadband enabled so I'm a happy camper to finally get rid of Eircom and phone line rental.

TC

NTL have upgraded most of Dublin in the last two years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Most of Dublin? I think not. They have done little bits here and there. Exactly what their coverage is like is virtually impossible to find out.

Blaster99 wrote:
    Most of Dublin? I think not. They have done little bits here and there. Exactly what their coverage is like is virtually impossible to find out.

Perhaps, however anyone I know, from different areas, has been able to get NTL BB. It would be nice if they would give us a coverage map.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Blaster99 wrote:

About 1/3 of NTL's cable customers in Dublin can get BB now.
    Also all cable customers in Galway and Waterford ccan get BB now or very soon (it supposed to be finished by the end of Summer).

I believe the rest of Dublin should be upgraded over the next 12 months, even sooner for many people.

BTW in most cases they don't need to replace the cable with two way, that is just a myth, any 550MHz quality cable is well capable of two way. What they need to do is install a CMTS in your local node (a CMTS is like a DSLAM to the cable companies) and ensure there is sufficient fiber running to the node. They may also need to reorganise the local network somewhat and remove old repeater devices.

• Advertisement

Just rang them up. No chance, and the girl said you would be talking about a timescale of years before Donnybrook village would be internet ready via cable! :(

bk wrote:
    About 1/3 of NTL's cable customers in Dublin can get BB now.
    Also all cable customers in Galway and Waterford ccan get BB now or very soon (it supposed to be finished by the end of Summer).

I believe the rest of Dublin should be upgraded over the next 12 months, even sooner for many people.

BTW in most cases they don't need to replace the cable with two way, that is just a myth, any 550MHz quality cable is well capable of two way. What they need to do is install a CMTS in your local node (a CMTS is like a DSLAM to the cable companies) and ensure there is sufficient fiber running to the node. They may also need to reorganise the local network somewhat and remove old repeater devices.

Why did it take them so long to do this? I assume they were installing newer cabling and fiber!?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

paulm17781 wrote:
    Why did it take them so long to do this? I assume they were installing newer cabling and fiber!?

NTL was under a massive debt since about 2000 and all new development work was stopped. Also as the number of people using BB increases, they will likely need to reconfigure some of their network and lay new fiber to the nodes and even put in new nodes. I think this is why the problems in D15 arouse.

bk wrote:
    NTL was under a massive debt since about 2000 and all new development work was stopped. Also as the number of people using BB increases, they will likely need to reconfigure some of their network and lay new fiber to the nodes and even put in new nodes. I think this is why the problems in D15 arouse.

I'm in D15, was horrible for months but the last month has been perfect!

Pinging www.esat.ie [193.95.153.20] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 193.95.153.20: bytes=32 time=12ms TTL=117
    Reply from 193.95.153.20: bytes=32 time=11ms TTL=117
    Reply from 193.95.153.20: bytes=32 time=9ms TTL=117
    Reply from 193.95.153.20: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=117

Ping statistics for 193.95.153.20:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 14ms, Average = 11ms

off the point a bit, where in the Blanch node?

bk wrote:

What were they doing in Tallaght that was so expensive? When they started the roll out they were spending 500k per day on it. Then abruptly stopped all investment. Was this replacing co-ax with fiber? I assume they aren't spening near that money now.

WizZard wrote:
    Just rang them up. No chance, and the girl said you would be talking about a timescale of years before Donnybrook village would be internet ready via cable! :(

I don't see why Ballsbridge would have it and not Donnybrook. There is probably more stuff in Donnybrook than Ballsbridge.

Neither do I, but that's what I was told...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Sgtshaft

I am going to move to Applewood Village in swords, does the NTL broadband service this area?

Sgtshaft wrote:
    I am going to move to Applewood Village in swords, does the NTL broadband service this area?

I doubt it, Swords is Chorus AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

WizZard wrote:

the reality is that the people on the phones have not got a clue as to NTL's plans they are not told. So anything they tell you should be taken with the proverbial grain of salt. In my direct experience they do not even keep the telephone people up to date with plans for routine maintenance never mind bb expansion plans. :rolleyes:

Advertisement