Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fun Societies?

Options
  • 22-08-2005 11:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭

Anyone want to recommend any fun societies in DIT? I'm interested in getting involved in a music society and anything else interesting really.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭briano

I'll just jump right in here to pimp some:

TaeKwonDo: Trains in Kevin Street every tues and thurs, and usually heads to the pub Cornerstone/Solas/Flannerys/Palace on thursday after training. We have a few big nights during the year, and usually a trip or two away for competitions. Its a fun club, and you are recieveing, quite literally, world class instruction.

Caving: Caving introduced me to the joys of dark holes and the abject horrors of dark rums. Great fun, loads of trips away, and something that realistically you aren't ever going to get the chance to try outside of a college club. I wasn't involved in it at all for the last few years, but the two years that I was in were amazing, meeting loads of great people, most of whom I'd still consider friends (despite the fact that I may have been sick on / shouted at / thrown punches at them :D ) The adventure Club trip away is brilliant, as you get to go away with the...

Mountaineering club: Again, great fun. I think they still train mondays and tuesdays up off cathal brugha street, and they also go out to dalkey pretty regularly. Good bunch of people, lots of trips to the country for hillwalking/hikes/rockclimbing and, of course, the pub.

And Finally, the Links society is one of the ones I am most proud of being involved in, even if it was only for a year. You tutor students from an inner city school studying for their leaving certs in subjects like maths, irish and french. They used to do it on tuesdays for an hour in the evening, I'm not sure what the craic is now, but its well worth it.

Anyone want to recommend any fun societies in DIT? I'm interested in getting involved in a music society and anything else interesting really.

DURNS II?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Frankiestylee

DURNS 2? Hmmm... well last time I counted it looked like DIT had 5 societies that could all do what DURNS do... so maybe it'll have to be DURNS 2,3,4,5 and 6. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

whats all this DURNS stuff you'r all talking about? On a side note,is the gym in kevins st free to join or what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chicken_food

whats all this DURNS stuff you'r all talking about? On a side note,is the gym in kevins st free to join or what?

• Advertisement

DURNS is the alternative music society in Trinity, which I helped re-establish and then I was chair for awhile. As I'm now in the proud DIT and not the icky bo bickey bananafana fo fickey Trinity.. I think Myth is hinting that I maybe trying to do the same thing with some DIT music society. He/She might just be right... but possibly not til I get all cosy and settled in. :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Canoe Club all the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭AlienGav

Beer Appriciation Society + Paintball society! = Happy DIT days!!

Best college ever! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

Paintball and Beer society, eh!?! I like.

Beer Appreciation Society? Really? Wow... I cant wait, I know my beery beers

• Advertisement

I think Myth is hinting that I maybe trying to do the same thing with some DIT music society. He/She might just be right... but possibly not til I get all cosy and settled in. :D

It's a he, and I've been known to "pimp" myself around Frankie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭deek

Canoe Club all the way

Do you have to be good at canoeing to join? I've gone a good few times and I know a fair bit about it because my brother was majorly into canoeing but if you were just a beginner could you join?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

oh defo, lots of people dunno how to get into a canoe. we train in kev street pool, just mess round in the canoes, people all help each other to learn stuff, then river trips every few weeks, all gear is provided

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 aidob

Qustion ....

Do you hav to turn up every week or is every 2nd or 3rd alright ?

Myth wrote:
    It's a he, and I've been known to "pimp" myself around Frankie. ;)

Ah yeah, Donal was my second guess... thought you might originally have been Daithi. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭bang_bang_rosie

Defo Tao kwon Do as Briano said, when I was there it was brill, really energetic fun stuff, and two pints in the pub after and you're langers.

I met some great people through it, and got fitter too!

The trips( comp's) away were great craic, as long as there's other like minded people. Which in Kevin Street is defo not a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

Hey there,
    If you like active sports and you enjoy a bit of adrenlin pumping action, then you can not go wrong with joining the Award Winning DIT Bolton Street Paintball Society this comming year. It won best New Society Last year and promises to be non stop fun.

check out www.boltonstreetpaintball.com for more info or email info@boltonstreetpaintball.com.

Hey there,
    If you like active sports and you enjoy a bit of adrenlin pumping action, then you can not go wrong with joining the Award Winning DIT Bolton Street Paintball Society this comming year. It won best New Society Last year and promises to be non stop fun.

check out www.boltonstreetpaintball.com for more info or email info@boltonstreetpaintball.com.

Is there a Paintball society for each campus, or is it just Bolton St.?

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭ditpaintball

There is one in Aungier St. www.angryaungiers.com and us in Bolton Street. So at the minute it is looking like a north side vs south side. There used to be a kevin st 2years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

there was a kevin street soc last year and it was soo much better than the aungier street soc!!!

• Advertisement

Thems fighting words! heh heh

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

oh my god, you couldnt be more wrong about kevin st being better than aungier st.

not just at paintball....

anyway, i may or may not run the aungier st soc, so i may be biased, but i personally guarentee aungier st will beat kevin st in a showdown

thats a guarentee you can take to the bank.

they may not accept it, but you could bring it :)

The accuracy of paintballs always bugs me... you cant really shoot a tracer shot unless its a perfectly still day... even when the gun is perfectly still the bullets end up in differant places. Ah well. Tis a good laugh.

Anyone know anyone in the Rock Music Society?

ill disagree with ya there.

tell ya what, come paintballing with us and ill show you how accurate anyone can be. :D

I was hoping you'd disagree with me... it was really irritating me last time I played.. I didnt want to blame it on the guns though. Thats poor form.

So question... WHERE THE **** WERE ALL THE SOCIETIES!?!?!?

A big list of societies... I didnt see a 3/4 of them. I'm deeply disappointed. How do I go about joining/setting one up when they dont bother turning up for new members? God damn.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i saw a juggling soc.. and suddenly lost interest.

i also saw a poster for netsoc. €1 membership with 500mb webspace with database & bash shell accountamagig... i mentioned this to a fellow classmate and he mocked me for being so gullable.

anyone know anything about this cheap ass web serv..."society"

i saw a juggling soc.. and suddenly lost interest.

i also saw a poster for netsoc. €1 membership with 500mb webspace with database & bash shell accountamagig... i mentioned this to a fellow classmate and he mocked me for being so gullable.

anyone know anything about this cheap ass web serv..."society"
    I signed up for that! Sounds good.
    http://www.netsoc.dit.ie/

1st off, where were there only a few socs? aungiers st was full

2nd, as it happens, im pr officer for netsoc, and what they provide is pretty damn good

i use the webspace myself and have always found any service netsoc offer to be coola boola. thats why i joined last year.

i mean, hell, they won an award last year for services rendered

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

1st off, where were there only a few socs? aungiers st was full

2nd, as it happens, im pr officer for netsoc, and what they provide is pretty damn good

i use the webspace myself and have always found any service netsoc offer to be coola boola. thats why i joined last year.

i mean, hell, they won an award last year for services rendered

sounds good but really i want to run eggdrops and bnc's and crap off it to be leet :p

• Advertisement

you sir, are a cowboy builder :p

bt really, its cool

Advertisement