Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Sciences

Options
  • 22-08-2005 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Anyone here doing this course? It was kinda low on my CAO but I really started to look into it and I'm pretty excited now to be doing it.

Anyone else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

My girlfriend and my best mate are doin it... So anyone with information, that'd help me too! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

I did Sociology as part of Arts last year.

Sociology is a fascinating subject. The componets of course include.....

''Introduction to Sociology'' which as a broad introduction to the fundamental theory's behind Social Science.
    ''Emergence of Sociological Perspectives'' is based around the historical Sociological theory's of Marx, Durkheim and Weber.
    ''Sociology in Practice'' looks at the Scientific aspect of Sociology through research methods.
    ''Contemporary Irish Society/Culture'' looks at historical and modern day aspects of Irish society.

I came into Sociology with great enhtusiasm for the subject. I had a keen interest in this area of our lives so I thought it would be ideal for me. Sadly though the course is difficult. The historical aspect of the course (Marx etc.) is painfully dull and tough. Even though the subject is interesting, it requires alot of work and effort (ie. readings, lecture and tutorial attendance is simply a must). I personally found the Sociology department to be cold and did not have alot of time for it's students.

Sociology is what you make of it. If you put in the work , do readings and attend lectures/tutorials it can be a very satisfiying subject. I've heard that Social Policy is meant to be very enjoyable and is always favoured by Social Science students in compraison to Sociology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

If I was doing my CAO again I very well might put Social Science first...you do a very interesting subject called Social Policy which I would have loved.

Everyone I know doing Social Science seems to be getting a very well rounded and relevant degree and likes it a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Manzy

That's good to hear. On another note, does anyone know when we start? I got a letter saying I should be getting another letter on the 31st with all the dates and everything but I' m just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

September 12 is the start of lectures. First year orientation is the week before that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement